This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Hosting video game tournaments

#1KeyeszxPosted 10/8/2013 11:09:32 PM
Is there a place to rent a desktop that's gaming capable? My club on campus wants to host a video game tourney but I don't see bringing our own PCs as a good way to go about it. One some of us might have lower spec PCs than others resulting in different experience or low FPS depending on how low some people's PCs are. Two, I'm not sure people would be willing to let strangers use their own PC.

So I thought the best thing to do would be to rent like 4-6 PCs depending on the game. Like if it's Spy Party, Maybe Monaco team speed runs. Chivalry duels? I'm purposely staying away from League or bigger name games. One League would be easy to do from our homes. Two, all other big name games I can think of are on consoles which isn't an issue.

Also any suggestion for games for tournaments that aren't super popular? Like Quake, LoL, UT, etc. Something people wouldn't expect but is really fun.
---
PSN/Gamertag:Keyeszx (Don't send blank friend invite)
Currently Playing:League of Legends, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Infinity Blade 2
#22Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 10/8/2013 11:11:47 PM
Does Rent-a-Center rent computers and is there one near you?
---
Pearl Code: 0731 1228 8254 White Code: 0862 2790 1982
SSBB: 0989-1461-9542
#3Keyeszx(Topic Creator)Posted 10/8/2013 11:13:11 PM
Holy crap I didn't even think about Rent-a-Center. I should check to see if they do.
---
Currently Playing:League of Legends, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Mortal Kombat, Infinity Blade 2
#4MaKhaosPosted 10/8/2013 11:24:00 PM
For the video game tournaments so far at my campus, TVs dedicated to:
Divekick (this game is big)
Smash Brothers
Skullgirls
Marvel vs Capcom
SFIV
Sol Cal 2
Persona 4 Arena

People playing Magic or Yu Gi Oh in one corner.
Mass of people bringing their laptops and some their desktops for League and Dota 2.

I highly suggest getting a copy of Divekick on any platform and make a tournament out of it. Local two button coop. Everyone loves it.
---
"TSA lady opened my bag and asked me about my Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
I explained that they're not weapons since I have no land." -Day[9]
#5DerPancakePosted 10/9/2013 7:46:56 AM
Black Ops 2.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#6SlaynPosted 10/9/2013 7:47:40 AM
Steambox.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#7MahoganyTooth92Posted 10/9/2013 7:57:35 AM
TF2 has an active competitive scene, maybe try that, look up the allowed weapons.
---
"PC has a $0 a year maintenance fee. The only money I put into my PC is buying more games. Have fun with your subscription based gaming." -SirisS-G-P
#8Keyeszx(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 6:13:24 AM
Slayn posted...
Steambox.

I can't wait 7 years to host this tourney.
---
#9Lord_XandrosPosted 10/10/2013 6:57:38 AM
Keyeszx posted...
Slayn posted...
Steambox.

I can't wait 7 years to host this tourney.

Wait 7 years, buy Steambox

Freeze self for 1000 years

Defrost and purchase the new time travel machine

Go back in time

Use Steambox for tournament

Sell for $500k each afterwards
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mrraveygravy/