This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Headset recommendations?

#1red13nPosted 10/9/2013 4:13:26 AM
Been using these cheap creative fatal1ty headsets for a couple years(I'm on my second). They work alright but I've come under the fatal flaw of the wires fraying rather easily(Particularly by the volume control thing). My dog and cat have a habit of jumping on me and slightly pulling the wires, and they end up bending where the wire connects to the volume control and that kills the headset. I thought of just throwing down ~$40 on another(why change what you can live with), but I'm not a person that likes spending money replacing things repeatedly needlessly, so I'm exploring my options.

I'm thinking maybe I could spend a bit more and get more of a long-term option. or, something, I dont know, options and stuff.

Speaking of options, I dont really know what they are. I'm not really a huge audio guy, but I definitely need a headset(I play a lot of games in addition to watching TV/movies most of the time on my PC).

Some of the people I've talked to recently have mentioned that headphones and an attachable mic or something might be a better option(People are always headset shopping).

one thing I do know is there are at least a couple common types for headphones, with the main difference being that some make it impossible(Or very difficult, anyways) to hear sound outside the headphones. I'd like to avoid that as I have a lot of people that usually want to talk to me with my headset on in addition to me enjoying being able to watch a TV at the same time.

My head tells me to set a price at $100, but theres definitely some leeway there, I'm not hurting for money and I havent really spent anything on myself in awhile.

Again, totally clueless on the subject, so help/recommendations/etc all appreciated.
---
"First thing that crosses my mind: I didn't get any GameFAQs Karma yesterday." Math Murderer after getting his appendix removed.
#2DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/9/2013 4:22:16 AM
AD700, Superlux HD668B, Sennheiser HD518, and Sennheiser HD449 are worth looking into.
And yes, get headphones and a clip-on mic.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#3mess98Posted 10/9/2013 4:47:06 AM(edited)
Steelseries Siberia V2. Nice sound quality, right around your price point, and come with a pull out mic.
The CS: Go and DOTA 2 models are really nice as well. (A little bit more pricey)

They also make a Diablo III model which is pretty much the same but has LEDs and is USB powered.
---
Windows 8.Core i7 4770.Geforce GTX 660 Ti.8GB Ram.
#4aak57Posted 10/9/2013 5:34:30 AM
Headphones + mic is basically objectively better other than the convenience factor.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ULj4q.jpg
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
#5red13n(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 11:34:09 AM
poke.
---
"First thing that crosses my mind: I didn't get any GameFAQs Karma yesterday." Math Murderer after getting his appendix removed.
#6DinglesteedPosted 10/9/2013 11:39:05 AM
I have a Razer Carcharias headset. It works pretty well and has a durable cord, as far as I'm concerned. I have a cat that constantly plays with the cord, I have rolled over it in my chair about once a day, and it still is going strong. Pretty comfortable too!
---
Playing: Dragon's Crown, MLB the Show 13, Pikmin 3, Project X Zone, ETS2
3DS FC: 2191-7639-5571
#7reincarnator07Posted 10/9/2013 11:52:15 AM
mess98 posted...
Steelseries Siberia V2. Nice sound quality, right around your price point, and come with a pull out mic.
The CS: Go and DOTA 2 models are really nice as well. (A little bit more pricey)

They also make a Diablo III model which is pretty much the same but has LEDs and is USB powered.

It has a decent mic and is insanely comfy, but the sound quality is meh. Overpowering bass with crappy mids and almost non existent treble.
---
Fan of metal? Don't mind covers? Check out my youtube and give me some feedback
http://www.youtube.com/sircaballero
#8red13n(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 2:55:44 PM
poke.
---
#9KillerzOverHerePosted 10/9/2013 3:08:34 PM
red13n posted...
poke.

please use bump instead of poke is my recommendation..
#10red13n(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 3:11:13 PM
ehh, over the years, I've found bump slightly less convenient to type.
---