This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions about upgrading my build

#1Trophy_Hunter85Posted 10/9/2013 4:20:05 AM
I made a build about 2 years ago and purposely didn't completely max it out because of budget. I'd like to upgrade it a bit more now. I plan on buying a second video card to crossfire them and add 8Gb more RAM. These are my Video Card and RAM.

ASUS EAH6850 DC/2DIS/1GD5/V2 Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-

Is it better to buy the exact same video card (I'd have to get it off Ebay.) or will a new card crossfire with the old one just fine? Or is it better to just take out the old one and put in a new one?

In terms of RAM does it matter if I put in a different a different brand. As in, will the computer run better if all the RAM sticks are all the exact same? Or should I just put in whatever I can get? I had an old computer that I just had all different RAM sticks because I kept getting my friend's old RAM sticks that they didn't need any more and I kept switching them out to make it run faster. It seemed like it made it worse since every time there was a problem with the computer it was the RAM sticks malfunctioning. Not sure if constantly switching them out was what messed them up though.

Thanks in advance for the help.
---
Expect less and you'll be more satisfied
#2wildog2006Posted 10/9/2013 10:30:15 AM
If you're sticking with AMD, best to just get one card. Probably one of the new cards when they release.

If you're just gaming on that PC, 8GB RAM is more than enough for now.
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#3NicodimusPosted 10/9/2013 10:35:52 AM(edited)
You're going to run into a lot of problems with a 1GB card if you want to play any new-ish games, even with 2 of them in Crossfire. Recommend selling it and buying a newer one with 2GB+ VRAM instead.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64