This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Are we finally going to ditch D3D?

#11Killah PriestPosted 10/9/2013 10:24:38 AM
Nvidia are such tools.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#12Zohar_MetatronPosted 10/9/2013 10:30:09 AM
"Are we finally going to ditch D3D?"

Hell no. It's still the best game on the Build engine and it's not like Forever was a very good replacement.
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.
#13mrCubePosted 10/9/2013 10:35:11 AM
Rexdragon125 posted...
Like typical FOSS OpenGL they don't care about usability and it's a pain to work with compared to Direct3D. I don't care if OpenGL saves a few nanoseconds of rendering time, Direct3D saves me hours of developer time.

Please elaborate, what features of D3D make you so much more productive compared to OpenGL?
---
---
#14DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/9/2013 10:46:49 AM
mrCube posted...
Rexdragon125 posted...
Like typical FOSS OpenGL they don't care about usability and it's a pain to work with compared to Direct3D. I don't care if OpenGL saves a few nanoseconds of rendering time, Direct3D saves me hours of developer time.

Please elaborate, what features of D3D make you so much more productive compared to OpenGL?

The biggest feature probably being that he don't know jack about openGL and has a decent understanding of D3d?

Carmack seems to think both are similar and that opengl has a better future. I trust Carmack's commentary a lot more than most.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#15mrCubePosted 10/9/2013 10:51:52 AM
DV8ingSources posted...
mrCube posted...
Rexdragon125 posted...

The biggest feature probably being that he don't know jack about openGL and has a decent understanding of D3d?

Carmack seems to think both are similar and that opengl has a better future. I trust Carmack's commentary a lot more than most.

Come on bro I was trying to bait him into saying something that I could easily prove wrong
---
---
#16DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/9/2013 11:15:35 AM
mrCube posted...

Come on bro I was trying to bait him into saying something that I could easily prove wrong

Well I just insulted him so you will likely still get a chance :P
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
#17Bazooka_PenguinPosted 10/9/2013 11:35:32 AM
I doubt D3D will go anywhere just as long as MS keeps updating it every once in a while. OpenGL could always support low-level, hardware specific extensions and iirc glide was based on OpenGL. The problem is simply that hardware manufacturers and devs didn't work together to implement those extensions. Mantle is different in that it is apparently also AMD's low level API for game development on consoles. So given the multiplatform nature of all AAA engines we're likely to see Mantle succeed on PC
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#18JKatarnPosted 10/9/2013 12:03:17 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
mrCube posted...
Rexdragon125 posted...

You mean you place more credence in the opinion of the man who created the Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake 1-3 and Doom III engines (yeah, not the technical names, but you get the point) than some random "developer" on GameFAQs?
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#19DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/9/2013 12:08:04 PM
JKatarn posted...
You mean you place more credence in the opinion of the man who created the Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Quake 1-3 and Doom III engines (yeah, not the technical names, but you get the point) than some random "developer" on GameFAQs?

Yeah pretty much. I've sat through his sometimes multiple hour lectures, barely understanding what he was saying and still enjoying myself. The guy is practically a prodigy when it comes to understanding technology. He's also the main reason I see the oculus rift and other similar devices becoming the norm in the future. His research and development in the smallest of details will go a long way. Oh and he's a rocket scientist, literally.
---
#20therickmu25Posted 10/9/2013 12:18:39 PM
DV8ingSources posted...
JKatarn posted...

Yeah pretty much. I've sat through his sometimes multiple hour lectures, barely understanding what he was saying and still enjoying myself. The guy is practically a prodigy when it comes to understanding technology. He's also the main reason I see the oculus rift and other similar devices becoming the norm in the future. His research and development in the smallest of details will go a long way. Oh and he's a rocket scientist, literally.

*Patiently waits for the guy who knows better than Carmack to enter the topic*
---
Games List: http://i.imgur.com/n5R72Cl.jpg
PC Setup: http://i.imgur.com/fUPqE7N.jpg