This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone here try SteamOS yet?

#11New Link(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 1:55:45 PM
O.o wow did EVERYONE just read the title and disregard the opening post? Yes, there is a closed beta where they are distributing a bootable version of the OS. There is also the hosted version of it for anyone smart enough to know how to create their own bootable environment out of the squashfs. I know 2-3 people who already have it up and running, I just wanted to know if anyone here has bothered with it yet.

I have the .deb on my (currently broken) homebox, I'll post a link when I find it again for you all. It's available.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#12Nineteen99Posted 10/9/2013 2:29:04 PM
ITT: TC thinks he has superior computer skillz.
---
"Words cannot describe how screwed I am..."-Phoenix Wright
Currently Playing: Saints Row The Third
#13NicoC96Posted 10/9/2013 2:53:52 PM
If you have access to the .iso file to SteamOS, why not just post the link and guide to getting it to boot? Unless you are some ultra paranoid person who clears their history every 5 seconds, you should still have the links...
#14New Link(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 12:05:17 AM
NicoC96 posted...
If you have access to the .iso file to SteamOS, why not just post the link and guide to getting it to boot? Unless you are some ultra paranoid person who clears their history every 5 seconds, you should still have the links...

Ok lets go over this again.
They dont host an iso, its a deb file which contains a recovery partition. As per the link, My computer is still broken as previously mentioned, tte fan still hasnt come in., when I'm back up and running i'll find out where they host the deb again. As per the guide... that will take me taking the time to figure it out and i still have a lot going on these days, but if i do i will post one, just like how i did for the closed beta access to steam on linux (for everyone who wasnt in the beta.)

This stuff isnt rocket science, it's just a matter of getting the squashfs bootable. I do work for a linux distribution and being able to create a bootable live environment is sort of a prerequisite for that sort of thing. Thats not to say itwill be a cakewalk either, as we'll be playing a bit of frankenstein with a recovery. I was sent the link in irc and grabbed it, a few days later my cpu fan died, and so i must wait to try it myself. Soon as i can though i'll get the link the. deb for anyone else to give it a shot, should be no later than this weekend.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#15SlaynPosted 10/10/2013 12:32:04 AM
Yeah I tried Steam OS, it was terrible, I had to open a command prompt. Went right back to Windows, no commands necessary.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.
#16MarceloSampaioPosted 10/10/2013 4:57:47 AM
Javelin posted...
Stop eating donuts all day so you can finish Half-Life 3.

But... but.... I don't know how to count to 3...
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#17Maiken100Posted 10/10/2013 5:20:07 AM
MarceloSampaio posted...
Javelin posted...
Stop eating donuts all day so you can finish Half-Life 3.

But... but.... I don't know how to count to 3...

After Diablo 3, Mass Effect 3, Assassin's Creed 3 and Crysis 3.....I think you should just skip to 4.
---
Next Gen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJt3TOFUxPs
#18New Link(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 4:30:31 PM
Well... bad news. It's not steamOS in the deb's recovery squashfs, it's just clonezilla. Lame.

That would have been so cool :(

Anyway, if they do a wider closed beta allowing users to install it on their own haldware i'll see if i can get in, and if so, as in the past i'll post a tutorial for ya'll. Honestly in that case i would assume they would authenticate before the download, but being redistributable then we could still have an in.

Now we just gotta wait for valve-time :P
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!