This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I dont understand Steam Metascore sometimes

#11SmoboHashPosted 10/9/2013 11:47:18 AM
Slayn posted...
Are you referring to user scores or professional? I honestly think professional scores are a decent indication. It isn't just one site like IGN, it's a combination of many scores from all sorts of different websites. Gives you a decent indication of how a game is.

User scores? Usually it's the old scale of "1 or 10" because either people love the game and give it a 10 or are pissed off and give the game a 1

"Assassin's Creed 3 was not different enough from the last game and I didn't like the naval battles. Zero out of ten."

i hate humans
#12jake-sfPosted 10/9/2013 11:52:39 AM
Professional reviews are unreliable. Users are generally honest, but brutal. Scores from many users still makes more sense than professional scores, but in the end reading and watching videos is what you need to make yourself a decent idea (besides playing the game yourself).
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#13arleasPosted 10/9/2013 12:02:53 PM
Professional reviews are unreliable.

Not all, but yeah, I get the feeling that a lot of professional reviews are every bit as bad as the user reviews, with the difference being that instead of rating a bad game with a 1 or 0 out of 10, they rate it as 60 and everyone treats that as a failing grade rather than "a bit above average".

Also, never forget Jeff Gerstmann who got fired from Gamespot because he told the truth about a game that was being heavily promoted on the site at the time.. Kane and Lynch (I think)... apparently when someone gives you a lot of money, you're supposed to not say anything bad about them even if it's true.
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/KDYNR.jpg
#14Ch3wyPosted 10/9/2013 12:04:45 PM
CircleOfManias posted...
Ultimate_Umbreo posted...
Metacritic is based off of professional review scores. In other words, it's pretty ****ing useless.

Not only that, but *averaging* them. That and mapping a C- to 42 for some reason.

Yeah if those hipster review sites using 5 point and A-F scales didn't exist, it would make it a bit more accurate.

For example a 3/5 is a pretty good score. 60/100 isn't even though it's the same ratio.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#15JKatarnPosted 10/9/2013 2:36:36 PM
SmoboHash posted...
Slayn posted...
Are you referring to user scores or professional? I honestly think professional scores are a decent indication. It isn't just one site like IGN, it's a combination of many scores from all sorts of different websites. Gives you a decent indication of how a game is.

User scores? Usually it's the old scale of "1 or 10" because either people love the game and give it a 10 or are pissed off and give the game a 1

"Assassin's Creed 3 was not different enough from the last game and I didn't like the naval battles. Zero out of ten."

i hate humans

This, user scores and reviews can be useful for ferreting out problems with universally well-rated games that are buggy (and the professional reviews glossed over the bugs/didn't play the game long enough to encounter them), but many of the user reviews can be overly pedantic/petty and are function more as white noise than useful information.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#16JKatarnPosted 10/9/2013 3:10:12 PM
Metacritic is based off of professional review scores. In other words, it's pretty ****ing useless.

Because 'HaloDude86' commenting "OH MAN, THEY TOTALLY NERFED THE NEEDLER, THIS GAME SUXXORZ 0/10" is infinitely more useful than an extensive, in-depth review by someone with a decent command of the English language.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#17Treason686Posted 10/9/2013 3:26:16 PM
JKatarn posted...

Because 'HaloDude86' commenting "OH MAN, THEY TOTALLY NERFED THE NEEDLER, THIS GAME SUXXORZ 0/10" is infinitely more useful than an extensive, in-depth review by someone with a decent command of the English language.

Dude! Thay nurfed teh needeler?! 0/10
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h