This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Thoughts on Surface Pro?

#1HistoryLizardPosted 10/9/2013 11:56:04 AM
I'm looking into getting a new laptop, since my current laptop has served me well, but I fear its time is near. The Surface Pro 2 caught my eye and I'm thinking it may be a decent fit but I guess I had a few concerns. I like to play games on the go once in a while, but I have a nice desktop for the latest stuff. I'm not expecting to play far cry 3 or anything, but maybe games like civ 5, LoL, and Hitman Blood Money well.
Plus the wait reduction from 10lbs to 2 would be nice. The touchpad felt a bit small on the one I tried, but other than that it seemed nice. Thoughts on the surface? I'd be looking at the 128 surface 2 if I got one.

Sorry for lil wall-o-text!
---
"I thought this was going to be an environmental mod with Al Gore the Nord talking about Mammoth farts causing the icebergs to melt." ~ alehm
#2sonyisg0dPosted 10/9/2013 2:11:17 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VAIO-SVD11213CXB-Ultrabook-Tablet/dp/B009PTRNPM

Just throwing this out there.
#3UltimateUmbreonPosted 10/9/2013 2:20:28 PM
I think I saw a vid of it running league of legends and some pics of Civ 5 on one a while back. LoL seemed to run nice.
---
NNID: Soviet_Snorlax PSN: SovietSnorlax Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ultimate_umbreon
#4SinisterSlayPosted 10/9/2013 2:24:30 PM(edited)
From experience with the first surface....
I couldn't recommend the surface, it's a very expensive device that has surprisingly low mobility.
The battery life was awful, like 1 - 2 hours.
Metro was fine, but the rest of the system is useless without the keyboard/touchpad attachment.
And the system doesn't stand up easily on your lap, you sort of have to do a one knee steady balancing act.

In short, it has worse battery life than a netbook, worse mobility and costs more.

Performance was ok, though it got pretty hot after a short time.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5wizardmonPosted 10/9/2013 2:41:50 PM(edited)
It works and can even play WoT & DoTA2 on it, but it's really not made to run games.

Despite having a 1920, 1080 screen it's really skinny feeling in landscape mode, it really feels like it was made to be held in portrait mode at all times because of that. The stand on the back works well for tables, it's not made to ever be used on your lap - in fact, I'd go to say that it's not really meant to be used while walking around either.

To sum up my uses of the Surface Pro so far, I use it to read books at night with the F.lux beta running in dark room mode at night, playing music in bed, and reading P&P PDFs/one note while playing Pathfinder & Traveler.

Edit: This is the best location for a surface, which is mounted right above your bed pillow: http://i.imgur.com/aedVPIM.jpg
Sadly, since the surface is so wide it doesn't fit in my universal tablet mount, so I rended off one of the holding arms and just use rubber bands to hold my 1000$ computer feet above my head.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#6gastamanPosted 10/9/2013 2:40:44 PM(edited)
wizardmon posted...
The stand on the back works well for tables, it's not made to ever be used on your lap - in fact, I'd go to say that it's not really meant to be used while walking around either.

The Surface Pro 2 has a new kickstand with 2 stop positions. One stop is like the original, with the second stop being better for in lap usage. Also, I'm not sure why you feel it isn't meant to be used while walking around. I use it all the time while standing and walking around for work, when I'm out doing field visits to fill out reports.

Edit: Unless you meant the kickstand isn't meant to be used while walking around, which is kind of a no brained, IMO.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#7wizardmonPosted 10/9/2013 2:44:34 PM
gastaman posted...
wizardmon posted...
The stand on the back works well for tables, it's not made to ever be used on your lap - in fact, I'd go to say that it's not really meant to be used while walking around either.

The Surface Pro 2 has a new kickstand with 2 stop positions. One stop is like the original, with the second stop being better for in lap usage. Also, I'm not sure why you feel it isn't meant to be used while walking around. I use it all the time while standing and walking around for work, when I'm out doing field visits to fill out reports.

Edit: Unless you meant the kickstand isn't meant to be used while walking around, which is kind of a no brained, IMO.

That sentence got mixed into the wrong spot, I was really trying to say "I don't think it's meant to be used while walking around in landscape mode, since it's just so wide holding it by one side would be really awkward to use on the go."
---
#8gastamanPosted 10/9/2013 2:49:59 PM
wizardmon posted...
gastaman posted...
wizardmon posted...

That sentence got mixed into the wrong spot, I was really trying to say "I don't think it's meant to be used while walking around in landscape mode, since it's just so wide holding it by one side would be really awkward to use on the go."

Ahh, that makes more sense. I agree. I'm almost always in portrait when walking around. Especially when filling out forms. The vertical space is very helpful.
---
//Intel// Core i7 2600k @ 4.2 //Gigabyte// Z68X-UD7-B3 //MSI// 3x GTX 580 Lightning SLi
//Corsair// 650D / H100 / 120 GB Force 3 / 12 GB Dominator / AX1200
#9HistoryLizard(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 5:27:29 PM
How well does the stylus work? I wanted to give it a shot on the demo unit, but they didn't have one to use. Being a student, I was thinking it would be a better way to write out notes and draw out diagrams during my last year of classes.
---
"I thought this was going to be an environmental mod with Al Gore the Nord talking about Mammoth farts causing the icebergs to melt." ~ alehm
#10wizardmonPosted 10/9/2013 5:30:53 PM
HistoryLizard posted...
How well does the stylus work? I wanted to give it a shot on the demo unit, but they didn't have one to use. Being a student, I was thinking it would be a better way to write out notes and draw out diagrams during my last year of classes.

The stylus is probably the best selling point for the Surface, it's very accurate, can be used in Photoshop, is pressure sensitive, captures handwriting perfectly.

The only downside to the stylus is you have to train yourself to have the pen vertical to the screen, because if you hold it at a angle it confuses the sensors.
---