This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ITT: People who had a Voodoo series card or remember Glide3D

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. ITT: People who had a Voodoo series card or remember Glide3D

User Info: runrom

runrom
3 years ago#1
I ran GLQuake, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life 1 and Quake 3 under Glide3d on my Voodoo 2 card back in the day. Good ol' times and not having to run graphics in lowly software rendering mode...
MBP 2009 | Intel i5 3570k + Powercolor 7870 Myst | HP Touchpad 32gb CM9 | MyTouch4g running 4.1
Now part of the 500 posts club.

User Info: TropicMoon10

TropicMoon10
3 years ago#2
Voodoo sounds familiar. I remember there was a 3D Rocket Power snowboarding flash game that required it back in 2001.
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
3 years ago#3
The Voodoo cards where very good. :)

I had a pair of Voodoo 2 cards in SLI. Quake 2 had FANTASTIC graphics with them. :p

I also remember that I used to play Lands of Lore 2 in software mode, and when I first got my Voodoo cards, and was able to use Glide, I was AMAZED at how GREAT that game looked with hardware acceleration. I actually decided to restart the game, so I could see every area with great graphics. :3
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!

User Info: SinisterSlay

SinisterSlay
3 years ago#4
Didn't have one but wished I did.

These days, we have wrappers like nGlide that let us play those great old games.
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
3 years ago#5
Remember seeing the option and hating that I couldn't use it... Screw you Glide3d!
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1

User Info: Javelin

Javelin
3 years ago#6
Glide. It was just Glide. Not Glide3d. F***ing posers.
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB

User Info: DV8ingSources

DV8ingSources
3 years ago#7
Javelin posted...
Glide. It was just Glide. Not Glide3d. F***ing posers.

It was always just "that %$#^n option I can't use" to me... Who cares what it was actually called. Nerd :P
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1

User Info: MarceloSampaio

MarceloSampaio
3 years ago#8
I had two of those:

The box:
http://www.3dfx.ch/project/timeline/1998/diamondv2.jpg

A close-up of the card:
http://vgamuseum.ru/wp-content/gallery/3dfx-voodoo-ii-8-mb/resized/3dfx_voodoo_ii_diamond_f.jpg

Some infos:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/diamond-monster-3d-ii,52-2.html

The Diamond Monster Voodoo II was amazing! Ran games like Unreal and Quake 2 at a fantastic speed, and at a fantastic (for the time) resolution (only 800x600 with one card, but using SLI enabled the 1024x768 resolution. ;) ).

They where not good for overclocks though, as it used to overheat too easily, and since they where VERY big, it was very hard to adapt a cooler in it (it had 3 GPUs, and 12 or so memory chips all over the card).

I had them for a long while, but soon one of them died... I still have the other one, but its not being used anymore (since my older PC died last month...).

Mine had 12 MB of memory each BTW. :p
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!

User Info: Monkeymage

Monkeymage
3 years ago#9
Back in '99, my dad bought a family computer, a pre-built with a Voodoo Banshee for the 2D card and a Voodoo 2 for the 3D. That was a pretty ridiculous pairing back then, because a Banshee performed both functions, and the 3D capabilities of the Voodoo 2 weren't that much better. It caused a lot of hardware conflicts.

Regardless, it was awesome. I had just graduated from high school when we got it, so I spent that summer playing Quake 2, Thief, Unreal, Shogo, and System Shock 2.
7.3 GHz Intel i9 7770k "Hollow Tree" / 64GB TDR4 RAM / GTX Titan 5 GK330 "Daghlian" Chipset, Dodeca-SLI

User Info: Boge

Boge
3 years ago#10
I remember my first...the first. The 3DFX Monster 3D. I didn't care for 3D acceleration back then. I saw Outlaws and Tomb Raider. I liked the rough look of non accelerated games. Then I saw Quake II. I had to have one. So $150 later, along with my Matrox Millenium, I had 3D acceleration. I later bought a Voodoo Banshee and thought it was the coolest thing because it was one card that did it all.
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. ITT: People who had a Voodoo series card or remember Glide3D

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived