This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ITT: People who had a Voodoo series card or remember Glide3D

#11MarceloSampaioPosted 10/9/2013 12:11:53 PM
Monkeymage posted...
Back in '99, my dad bought a family computer, a pre-built with a Voodoo Banshee for the 2D card and a Voodoo 2 for the 3D. That was a pretty ridiculous pairing back then, because a Banshee performed both functions, and the 3D capabilities of the Voodoo 2 weren't that much better. It caused a lot of hardware conflicts.

Regardless, it was awesome. I had just graduated from high school when we got it, so I spent that summer playing Quake 2, Thief, Unreal, Shogo, and System Shock 2.

The Voodoo 2 could run games that the Banshee struggled to run, like Myth: The Fallen Lords. But I think pairing them is... weird. :p I mean, both where quite powerful cards in its 3D side, and you would be using one OR another (I would use the Voodoo 2 mostly).

In my case, my main 2D card was a crappy on-board video chip made by a chinese company named PC-CHIPS, so I was VERY happy with my Voodoo's. :p

Thank goodness the Voodoo 3 decided to be a more "complete" card.
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#12AsellusPosted 10/9/2013 12:12:03 PM
I ran GLQuake, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life 1 and Quake 3 under Glide3d on my Voodoo 2 card back in the day. Good ol' times and not having to run graphics in lowly software rendering mode...

I do but those are all (other than UT) OpenGL, not glide.

Mind you 3dfx's opengl support in the day was essentially an (incomplete) OpenGL > Glide wrapper but still.
#13MarikhenPosted 10/9/2013 12:12:53 PM
My first discrete graphics card was a Voodoo 3 3000. Sadly it was only a PCI card as, IIRC, my motherboard didn't support AGP. Darn Pentium 200 "with MMX" systems. :-(
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#14JavelinPosted 10/9/2013 12:17:53 PM
I couldn't find my old Voodoo3, but I still have my last pair of Voodoo2s. Went through quite a few (buying, reselling) before I could find a couple that had RAM that could overclock by 10%. There were no shaders back then, so performance was almost entirely about bandwidth.

Time to get all hipster:

http://i.imgur.com/dOjQKwk.jpg

Better view of the cards:

http://i.imgur.com/2YRJs5F.jpg

Sorry about the poor picture quality, took the pic with a webcam :-P
---
MSI Z77A-GD55 | Intel Core i7-3770K | Kingston HyperX 8GB | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB
#15DaedalusExPosted 10/9/2013 12:18:11 PM
Who DOESN'T remember the Voodoo series? They were super popular.

The REAL question here is who remembers the S3 Savage 4, and it's sweet sweet texture compression in Unreal Tournament?
#16MarceloSampaioPosted 10/9/2013 12:27:35 PM
Asellus posted...
I ran GLQuake, Unreal Tournament, Half-Life 1 and Quake 3 under Glide3d on my Voodoo 2 card back in the day. Good ol' times and not having to run graphics in lowly software rendering mode...

I do but those are all (other than UT) OpenGL, not glide.

Mind you 3dfx's opengl support in the day was essentially an (incomplete) OpenGL > Glide wrapper but still.

GLQuake had 3DFX support. Quake 2 had too.

As for Half Life 1, had Direct 3D support, something that actually worked quite good on Voodoo cards.

Also, HL1 had 3DFX support, you just had to use the 3dfx MiniDriver and replace the Opengl api file with a Glide API file (even Sierra's site had this file) in the game's folder. It worked great. :)
---
:3
Everything is nice and cool... until the roach starts to fly!
#17AsellusPosted 10/9/2013 12:43:16 PM
They supported 3dfx cards with a minigl opengl > glide wrapper. The games themselves were OpenGL (Except Half-Life which did have a D3D mode though I seem to remember it working better in OGL).
#18JKatarnPosted 10/9/2013 12:45:36 PM
We got a Creative Voodoo Banshee around 98/99 - the first real quality price/performance card (though it couldn't really compete with the Voodoo 2 due to the lack of a second TMU) - upgrading to that from an S3 Virge was like manna from heaven - I had a blast trying out all the 3D accelerated demos on my various PC Gamer discs.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#19LusoryPrimePosted 10/9/2013 1:07:31 PM
I think I got a Voodoo3 3000 AGP as a birthday gift when I was 10 or 11. Good times.
---
PSN ID: Lusory_Prime | Steam: LusoryPrime
#20Worknofun370Posted 10/9/2013 1:10:40 PM
The first computer I built and a Voodoo2, I then swapped it out with the Voodoo 3 from my dad's work computer.

Ahh good times.

ho DOESN'T remember the Voodoo series? They were super popular.

Well, considering the average age of people on this board. I'm betting a lot of people here don't even know what the hell we're talking about.