This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Guild Wars 2 account 'hacked', should I be concerned?

#1PhilOnDezPosted 10/9/2013 4:52:07 PM
Got a pair of emails this morning saying someone in china had tried to access my account. They weren't able to get into my email so they couldn't actually get in.

I don't actually play GW2, an old roomie had me try it out during a free weekend a few weeks back and I didn't like it enough to buy it so it's not like I'm out money or anything.

Worst case scenario is that I have a keylogger but I literally only use my computer for gamefaqs, YouTube, steam, origin, and a handful of games' specific websites (minecraft and GW2 at the very least). Is there any chance the vulnerability isn't on my end or should I look into doing something besides changing a few passwords that were the same as my GW2 account? I'm not familiar with ArenaNet so I don't know how secure their servers are.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#2jake-sfPosted 10/9/2013 5:07:27 PM
I got a thousand messages of Guild Wars 2 account hacked crap from having ... never played it before I even got them.

Its always possible you do have a keylogger. Its not like there's any harm in scanning your computer overnight or something.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/SFJake250?feature=watch
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#3KittenLinaPosted 10/9/2013 5:18:25 PM
I got that for Diablo 3 a few times.

Check for viruses and ignore it, in all likelihood it'll lead to one if you click the link like with Diablo 3 and Runescape.
---
jrb363 posted...Political correctness is killing this country.
Official Succubus of the SMT IV board.
#4THEB0SS666Posted 10/9/2013 5:34:37 PM
I got that on youtube someone in beijing logged on to my account.Then I started getting spammed
---
dell xps 7100 gtx 660sc 8gb ram amd phenom x6 1045t 3.2ghz 1.5tbhdd
Moderators are filthy disgusting creatures.
#5PhilOnDez(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2013 5:48:07 PM
The link in the email looks pretty legit and it was sent from noreply@guildwars2.net. I googled the town (located in china) and one of the first results was someone on the guild wars 2 forums who had an attack from the same location. Someone who responded said they used the same password for their email as their GW2 account and ended up locked out of their email account as well but he didn't say if he got an email like that.

The email doesn't say 'click here to change password' or anything, instead it says 'click here to allow your account to sign in from this location: Changshahsien, CN'.

MSE ran last night (before I knew there was a possible problem) and it didn't find anything. What's a free, ideally lightweight anti-malware program?
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#6THEB0SS666Posted 10/9/2013 6:21:05 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
The link in the email looks pretty legit and it was sent from noreply@guildwars2.net. I googled the town (located in china) and one of the first results was someone on the guild wars 2 forums who had an attack from the same location. Someone who responded said they used the same password for their email as their GW2 account and ended up locked out of their email account as well but he didn't say if he got an email like that.

The email doesn't say 'click here to change password' or anything, instead it says 'click here to allow your account to sign in from this location: Changshahsien, CN'.

MSE ran last night (before I knew there was a possible problem) and it didn't find anything. What's a free, ideally lightweight anti-malware program?

Its not malware. I think its people hacking into accounts I don't know why but use strong password and make every account you use different. Google is your friend since you did find out something similar happened to me and that other guy.
---
dell xps 7100 gtx 660sc 8gb ram amd phenom x6 1045t 3.2ghz 1.5tbhdd
Moderators are filthy disgusting creatures.
#7Knight2520Posted 10/9/2013 7:36:09 PM(edited)
Might just be someone spoofing the Guild Wars 2 support email address. Ignore it, change your password, and if they have an authenticator of some sort using your cell phone (text or a mobile authenticator app, like Battle.net), use that. Don't click on any link from the email.
---
If AMD goes down Intel might safely release i9 for $300 and i7 for $200 and i5 for $100 and i3 for free. - su27Chaos<
#8TimePharaohPosted 10/9/2013 8:27:32 PM
I get about a dozen a week and I haven't played that garbage game since launch week. It means exactly what it says, someone tried to guess your account info.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#9SlaynPosted 10/10/2013 12:35:00 AM
I get the same thing, no clue and I don't care, since I didn't play the game past level 12. Let the hackers enjoy it, I will never touch that terrible game again.
---
You can buy a $500 console and a $500 computer and have two crap machines, or you can spend $1000 building your own computer and have the best of both worlds.