This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How come some computers like to put hidden files and folders on storage devices?

#1TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 10/9/2013 6:56:03 PM(edited)
Like when using a flash drive on multiple machines, one or more of the machines will put a bunch of seemingly random hidden files on it. One example I see all the time is the ".DS_Store" file.

I just plugged my flash drive into a home server computer I have so that I could transfer some files onto it. It put quite a few hidden folders and files on it. There's even one for QuickTime Volume Configuration, for example. What gives?
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#2El_KazPosted 10/9/2013 6:58:43 PM(edited)
It's for saving custom properties like positioning of icons, background pictures, etc.
---
Wait... what?
#3MyExtraAccountPosted 10/9/2013 6:59:29 PM
I noticed that with my SD card in my phone. There are a bunch of folders that apps create. I'm fine with them being there and hidden, but I would have never known they were there unless I checked. I noticed that none of these .folders are filled. Each folder is simply named and there. I can delete them, but they reappear sooner or later.

Yeah, is there anything inside the folders at all?
---
The official Tsun of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim!
#4MadPinoRagePosted 10/9/2013 7:03:30 PM
MyExtraAccount posted...
I noticed that with my SD card in my phone. There are a bunch of folders that apps create. I'm fine with them being there and hidden, but I would have never known they were there unless I checked. I noticed that none of these .folders are filled. Each folder is simply named and there. I can delete them, but they reappear sooner or later.

I don't know. I don't do mobile web or application development, but I could speculate that temporary files are stored in different folders for whatever reason that meets the needs of a running application. Then once your done, all the temporary files are cleaned, but the directory remains assuming you're going to continue using the application in the future. Also, to keep an applications files separated from another applications files so there is no overlap and then accidental overwrite or conflict.
---
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein
#5MyExtraAccountPosted 10/9/2013 7:08:12 PM
MadPinoRage posted...
MyExtraAccount posted...

I don't know. I don't do mobile web or application development, but I could speculate that temporary files are stored in different folders for whatever reason that meets the needs of a running application. Then once your done, all the temporary files are cleaned, but the directory remains assuming you're going to continue using the application in the future. Also, to keep an applications files separated from another applications files so there is no overlap and then accidental overwrite or conflict.

Ah, I see. I just don't know why they're always created on my SD card. I thought they'd be created on my internal phone storage. It's just weird that they'd go there.
---
The official Tsun of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim!