This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Concerning Win8

#1DinglesteedPosted 10/10/2013 8:41:11 AM
I currently have a Windows 7 install, but am considering moving to Windows 8 since some of the games coming out apparently run better on Win8 (BF4). All I should need to buy is the Windows 8 Upgrade disc, correct?

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-8-Pro-Upgrade/dp/B008H3SW4I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381419415&sr=8-2&keywords=windows+8+pro

Is there any downside to using the upgrade? Am I better off just going with a fresh install? For anyone that has done the "upgrade" rather than a clean install, will all of my Steam games and everything remian installed or will I need to redownload everything? Thanks for any info.
---
Playing: Dragon's Crown, MLB the Show 13, Pikmin 3, Project X Zone, ETS2
3DS FC: 2191-7639-5571
#2DV8ingSourcesPosted 10/10/2013 8:46:11 AM
Yeah thats all you should need. You can actually do a full clean install even with the upgrade. It basically just null and voids your serial for windows 7 in return for a fully functional windows 8. I'm not even sure if they enforce the not using windows 7. Haven't really tried to use it since switching.

As for your programs and such, doing an upgrade should keep most things intact but a full install would require all your programs to be reinstalled. If you keep your data on a different partition from the operating system, that will be fine. For instance if your steam games are all installed on drive D, you could safely wipe drive C and reinstall windows there without losing your steam files. You would need to run steam once after reinstall but it will recognize your games still.

The only real issue is that your saves might disappear if you don't backup your 'documents' folder.
---
2500k @ 4.4 | P8Z68-V Pro | H80 | 8GB | 670 | 256 ssd | 6Tb hdd | Win 8 64bit | ax1200w | BD burner | cm690II
Steam: DV8ing1
#3greenyoshi46Posted 10/10/2013 8:48:55 AM
I think 8.1 is better
---
Travis Touchdown WILL be in SSB4. You heard it here first!
#4SinisterSlayPosted 10/10/2013 8:51:24 AM
You can install over top of your old install. You don't lose any data for that. But your registry will be erased meaning your games will have to be reinstalled. Steam will do this for you, so no worries, the files are still there so it's almost instant.

Make sure to back up your user files though.
C:\users
C:\programdata
back those folders up, they contain everything personalized about your computer.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#5ShubPosted 10/10/2013 8:58:38 AM
greenyoshi46 posted...
I think 8.1 is better

8.1 is a free update if you have 8.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#6Dinglesteed(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 8:58:48 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
You can install over top of your old install. You don't lose any data for that. But your registry will be erased meaning your games will have to be reinstalled. Steam will do this for you, so no worries, the files are still there so it's almost instant.

Make sure to back up your user files though.
C:\users
C:\programdata
back those folders up, they contain everything personalized about your computer.

Gotcha.

I don't really mind doing a fresh install - as most of the games I have installed I rarely play. I basically stick to ETS2, BF3/4, LoL when I'm drinking, and FTL.

Now I just need to decide if I want to order a SSD with Windows 8 as well. At the moment, I just have a 1tb drive with everything on it. Samsung evo drive is enticing though!
---
#7Dinglesteed(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 9:04:06 AM
Also, is there a difference between the Pro and normal edition? Or does Pro just come with stuff I will never use?
---
#8ShubPosted 10/10/2013 9:07:06 AM
Yes, there is a difference, and Pro comes with stuff which you may or may not ever use. Look up a chart and see for yourself.
Some of the highlights are support for more than 128 GB of RAM, joining Active Directory domains, ability to remote into your computer via Remote Desktop, Hyper-V, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions
If you don't know what those are then you probably don't need them.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#9Dinglesteed(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 9:13:00 AM
Shub posted...
Yes, there is a difference, and Pro comes with stuff which you may or may not ever use. Look up a chart and see for yourself.
Some of the highlights are support for more than 128 GB of RAM, joining Active Directory domains, ability to remote into your computer via Remote Desktop, Hyper-V, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8_editions
If you don't know what those are then you probably don't need them.

I know what most of that is, but I doubt I use much of any of that on my personal home computer. Still, Pro is only like, $10 more? I guess I'll just get it then since the price is basically the same. Thanks for the link though, it was helpful.

With the upgrade version, let's say in the future I need to reinstall WIndows for some reason, will the upgrade disc still work for that or not?
---
#10Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 10/10/2013 9:47:13 AM
I just purchased the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade and I was able to install it as a fresh install and I'm dual booting 8 and Vista at the same time. It's actually very easy and it took about an hours time in total. Just follow these instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/31402-clean-install-upgrade-windows-7-version.html
---
http://i.imgur.com/Z3MIjNj.jpg
You can tell a lot about a person based on how they treat the weaker members of society.