This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is repairing a laptop really that hard?

#1silvergokuZPosted 10/10/2013 1:39:44 PM
I thought I asked this before but cant find it in history lol.

Anyway 3 years ago I got a hp pavillion laptop dirt cheap as someones toddler had lifted up part of the laptop that had the power ribbon and screen attached to and after I gutted it I found it impossible to rebuild.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago I have a newer model of the same laptop which has the same layout and gutted it and was able to rebuild it and only issue was how the screen hinges went on.

I also then changed the paste on 2 laptops by removing heatsinks and had no problems as unlike the pavillion I did not have to take whole unit apart to fix.

Was it just a bad first experience? I can build desktops really easily.
---
The red car and the blue car had a race. Good old blue he took the milky way.
#2mrCubePosted 10/10/2013 1:42:12 PM
They can be a pain. Usually anything but the HDD and RAM is somewhat difficult to access. Many of them have fragile tabs holding stuff together that are really easy to break. Then you have to remember where all the screws go... it's not fun, IMO. It's not terribly difficult, just tedious usually.
---
---
#3silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 1:50:40 PM
mrCube posted...
They can be a pain. Usually anything but the HDD and RAM is somewhat difficult to access. Many of them have fragile tabs holding stuff together that are really easy to break. Then you have to remember where all the screws go... it's not fun, IMO. It's not terribly difficult, just tedious usually.

Yeah the screws have been a problem with each I took apart at first I seemed to be missing 4 screws for one but gradually found 3 of them and a few days later found a 4th but it didnt fit in remaining hole so unscrewed one of the bigger ones and that didnt fit either lol.

And the pavillion I had to twist the top of the casing off as there was a actual screw under the mouse that was impossible to get to unless the bottom was already off so twisted it enough to get to it and bent the screw out in end but apart from not being able to disable the mouse anymore(as the screw was over that connection) the laptop works.
---
#4MMaestroPosted 10/10/2013 2:12:08 PM
Generally speaking, yes.

That said, it depends on the manufacturer/design. For generic off the shelf laptops, its annoying but not hard. For specially designed/constructed laptops, you're screwed. (Don't even bother with an Apple laptop)
#5CC RicersPosted 10/10/2013 2:33:50 PM
The key to this is finding the right replacement part for your model because some parts look similar but due to incremental updates, they may have slight differences that make them work in certain revisions of your model.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#6Noobsaibot_21Posted 10/10/2013 2:41:11 PM
No, they're easy enough to repair. Oddly, I always seem to have extra screws at the end when i'm repairing them. Just goes to show how pointless many of them are.
---
King....... Of the kingdom of "Other Europe"
#7ShubPosted 10/10/2013 2:45:37 PM(edited)
Classic business laptops are typically made to be repaired easily, although that doesn't mean that everything would necessarily be easy to repair. By business laptops I mean HP EliteBook, Lenovo ThinkPad T- and W-series, or Dell Latitude and Precision.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#8silvergokuZ(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 2:47:50 PM
I asked mostly because I see people selling laptops that are faulty on ebay and after getting a new motherboard it would still be a dirt cheap laptop worth 2-3 times more.

And a friend asked me to look at his laptop that was broken so would give me experience but dont want to wreck it
---
#9LordSeiferPosted 10/10/2013 2:48:45 PM
took apart two acer asspire ones yesterday to replace the harddrive from one to the other.

it was a big pain in the butt and when I put it back together the touchpad isnt working.

however other laptops ive dealt with like my dell have been no big deal.
---
^ this
#10ShubPosted 10/10/2013 3:02:12 PM(edited)
silvergokuZ posted...
I asked mostly because I see people selling laptops that are faulty on ebay and after getting a new motherboard it would still be a dirt cheap laptop worth 2-3 times more.

And a friend asked me to look at his laptop that was broken so would give me experience but dont want to wreck it

Honestly, some laptops are just so crudely put together, I have no idea how it's possible to open them up without breaking something. My coworker typically deals with laptop repairs and one of the users asked him if he could take a look at her personal laptop as a special favor. It was a cheapo 100% plastic Toshiba piece of junk. She had thrown it across a room in a fit of rage (...) and cracked the screen, so it was a "simple" matter of swapping the screen, but you had to take the whole stupid thing apart and it came into a million little mysterious pieces of plastic, and the keyboard was literally impossible to disconnect from the motherboard without ripping the connector, so flimsy and short it was (a piece of electrical tape now holds it in place). My coworker did manage to put it back together to working order but it was a pain in the ass.

tl;dr YMMV
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.