This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What exactly are the rules regarding emulation discussion?

#21MaxCHEATER64Posted 10/10/2013 4:27:19 PM
Judgmenl posted...
Depending upon the system it might not be possible or legal.

Was trying PS2 and/or Wii.

For the Wii I figured out that I needed to buy some peripheral that itself wasn't legal (hence circular thought). Still at a total loss as to what to do for the PS2.

---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#22Tyranius2Posted 10/10/2013 4:30:26 PM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Last time I tried to piece together what to actually do I ended up in a circular logic path.

Basically you have to dump your own BIOS from your system. Then it is legal.

However I was not able to get an answer from this board on how to do THAT legally. There was a post or two but the mods deleted the whole thread before I could read them because of things one or two people were saying.
And google doesn't help.

Nobody flashes their own bios. The ones who did uploaded the file to the net and now nobody else needs to do it, and nobody does. It's just an escape goat to use here on gamefaqs. Nobody discussing emulation here flashed their own bios.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#23JudgmenlPosted 10/10/2013 4:33:00 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#24bkkorpsPosted 10/10/2013 4:32:29 PM
Tyranius2 posted...
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
Last time I tried to piece together what to actually do I ended up in a circular logic path.

Basically you have to dump your own BIOS from your system. Then it is legal.

However I was not able to get an answer from this board on how to do THAT legally. There was a post or two but the mods deleted the whole thread before I could read them because of things one or two people were saying.
And google doesn't help.

Nobody flashes their own bios. The ones who did uploaded the file to the net and now nobody else needs to do it, and nobody does. It's just an escape goat to use here on gamefaqs. Nobody discussing emulation here flashed their own bios.

gamefaqs is known for its ravaging pack of escaped goats.
---
Religion is like circumcision. If you wait until someone is 21 to tell them about it, they probably won't be interested.
#25GhennkinsPosted 10/10/2013 4:39:54 PM(edited)
I'm with the don't ask don't tell poster.

Just don't talk about it. Drawing too much attention to it could very likely get laws passed that make emulation illegal and like another poster, it is pretty much piracy.

edit!--

However, I personally am grateful emulation exists. Consoles, controllers, save batteries, evolving television sets and wrong cables to connect to new tv, no converters... etc etc. Eventually emulation is the only way to play a lot of older games that have long since gone out of circulation.
I do think it really promotes piracy but on the same hand it preserves our old games and allows you to play them without buying ancient carts from some shady character on ebay or craglist forr 10x the original cost. The devs and publishers are no longer making money off of anything a decade old.
#26MasterDonGeroPosted 10/10/2013 5:43:27 PM
Nintendo doesn't allow backups to be made, so your optical drive has to be able to read Game Cube and Wii discs for emulation (Dolphin) to be legal. And I'm pretty sure all Nintendo emulators don't need the official bios. Emulators for the N64, GBA, and other catridge-based systems are inherently legal, but you can't legally play the games, unless there is some sort of adapter for them.

You can legally rip the bios of the PSX and PS2 (though I think there are PSX emulators that don't need the bios, and yes, I personally ripped the bios of my PS2) and their discs should run in any optical drive.

There aren't many games that you can legally make a backup of to use with an emulator.

No matter what, though, emulators are inherently legal.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#27arleasPosted 10/10/2013 5:44:41 PM
It's just an escape goat

http://store.steampowered.com/app/251370/

Like that one? cool
---
http://raptr.com/badge/dc821beb3ce7e522d4d6721ba24c11e0/fs.png
http://i.imgur.com/r5PgL.gif
#28xanthan1Posted 10/10/2013 5:52:58 PM
MasterDonGero posted...
Nintendo doesn't allow backups to be made, so your optical drive has to be able to read Game Cube and Wii discs for emulation (Dolphin) to be legal. And I'm pretty sure all Nintendo emulators don't need the official bios. Emulators for the N64, GBA, and other catridge-based systems are inherently legal, but you can't legally play the games, unless there is some sort of adapter for them.

You can legally rip the bios of the PSX and PS2 (though I think there are PSX emulators that don't need the bios, and yes, I personally ripped the bios of my PS2) and their discs should run in any optical drive.

There aren't many games that you can legally make a backup of to use with an emulator.

......what part of ripping a Wii or Gamecube disc is illegal? Are you basing it on a ToS or something that has no actual legal bearing in Court?
#29SinisterSlayPosted 10/10/2013 6:04:25 PM
xanthan1 posted...
MasterDonGero posted...

......what part of ripping a Wii or Gamecube disc is illegal? Are you basing it on a ToS or something that has no actual legal bearing in Court?

You are allowed to make backups, just not give them to other people.
I believe in Australia it's actually a written law that you can make backups.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#30BrutaI_DeluxePosted 10/10/2013 9:27:35 PM
Let's see: officially:
If an emulator requires a bios to run, it's against the rules.
If you cannot use an emulator to run the original (store bought) copy of the game, it's against the rules.
You cannot legally make back ups to play or use at all (again, this is "illegal" on gamefaqs).

So just discuss dolphin emulator.