This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What exactly are the rules regarding emulation discussion?

#31AsucaHayashiPosted 10/10/2013 9:49:04 PM
on gfaqs all types of emulation discussion is not allowed regardless if you're talking legal or not since on this site, it's guilty until proven otherwise.

the only difference is if your topic catches the eye of a mod or not.

personally, i take cranky's stance on the subject:

http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/PC+is+the+ultimate+platform+for+classic+games

Or, you could get a cheap PC, connect it to your TV, make it work with a controller of your choice, and then play every single game mentioned here while pretending the PC is an uber-console. Sure, some of the games aren't available legitimately (a lot of them are), but as long as you pay for a copy of the game in some way, such as buying the number of "points" needed to download it on the respective console service, everyone should be happy. Sure, you may need to configure some settings on the PC and various emulators, but is that really more complicated than hooking up eight different consoles and having to remember which games go on what platform?
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#32TimePharaohPosted 10/10/2013 9:52:18 PM
Whatever they want on any given day in any given post.

Single celled organisms have a better grasp of logic and reason compared to Derpfaqs mods
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#33ajko000Posted 10/10/2013 11:15:57 PM(edited)
On GameFAQs?

Hoho, you're in for it now.

So, on the PC boards it's mostly fine, unless there are console fanboy lurkers about.

On console boards, mention the word alone, without even referring to anything at all, just the word, and you get destroyed.

Now when the mods come in it's completely erratic, they either act like dictators trying to suppress a religion by disabling your account for a period of time, and or start acting like lawyers when in reality have no idea what they're talking about.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8X_Ot0k4XJc
#34OrgeLambartPosted 10/10/2013 11:05:35 PM
Kokuei05 posted...
IMO, emulation = piracy.

I've said it before; you just don't buy a game to emulate. You download games to emulate. People say otherwise are lying their ass off.

I agree to some extent, a game that was released on the NES, Genesis, Super Nintendo or any of the earlier systems up the gen before PS1 (possibly including that one) should be fair game, 99% of that content will never be re-released again in any form, and because of that most new gamers will never get the chance to play all those awesome games.

So I don't personally feel it's wrong to emulate that stuff, since in theory you wouldn't be able to play it most other ways. Now on something like Phantasy Star which has been re-released for newer consoles I'd say you shouldn't. For stuff that hasn't been re-released like Nightmare on Elm Street I think they should be fair game.

The 75 year thing is way over excessive in the case of games, which expands so quickly, I can understand music and probably movies, but video games are a completely different story. You can always sit down and listen to a song from 40 years ago and enjoy it, the same can't really be said of a video game.

In 40 years the games we are playing now will be ancient to them. Most of them will be sorely outdated in terms of graphics, sound, etc etc etc.
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart
#35MasterDonGeroPosted 10/10/2013 11:17:20 PM
OrgeLambart posted...
Kokuei05 posted...
IMO, emulation = piracy.

I've said it before; you just don't buy a game to emulate. You download games to emulate. People say otherwise are lying their ass off.

I agree to some extent, a game that was released on the NES, Genesis, Super Nintendo or any of the earlier systems up the gen before PS1 (possibly including that one) should be fair game, 99% of that content will never be re-released again in any form, and because of that most new gamers will never get the chance to play all those awesome games.

So I don't personally feel it's wrong to emulate that stuff, since in theory you wouldn't be able to play it most other ways. Now on something like Phantasy Star which has been re-released for newer consoles I'd say you shouldn't. For stuff that hasn't been re-released like Nightmare on Elm Street I think they should be fair game.

The 75 year thing is way over excessive in the case of games, which expands so quickly, I can understand music and probably movies, but video games are a completely different story. You can always sit down and listen to a song from 40 years ago and enjoy it, the same can't really be said of a video game.

In 40 years the games we are playing now will be ancient to them. Most of them will be sorely outdated in terms of graphics, sound, etc etc etc.

There are NES, Genesis, and Super Nintendo games for sale on Ninentodo's Virtual Console or whatever it's called.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#36Dieselzone32450Posted 10/11/2013 2:03:25 AM
TimePharaoh posted...

Single celled organisms have a better grasp of logic and reason compared to Derpfaqs mods

---
If you take the Sensui hype as 100% true then, 20% of Sensui =SSJ3 Goku. -Knowledge King
#37ShadowGomamonPosted 10/11/2013 3:51:10 AM
TimePharaoh posted...

lol