This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Standalone Mic

#1shadowpik123Posted 10/10/2013 5:28:10 PM
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a standalone mic to use instead of a full headset. My problem is is that I use a mechanical keyboard with cherry blues and it makes a good amount of noise D:. Anyone out there have a good mic that doesn't pick up the clicks too well?
---
PSN: TheMuscleCop
Your stuff is my stuff and my stuff is my stuff.
#2ThePCElitistPosted 10/10/2013 5:38:20 PM(edited)
Snowball+pop filter may work
---
#3KillerTrufflePosted 10/10/2013 5:40:14 PM
Any good standalone mic will pick up ambient noises like key clicks. A pop filter will do nothing to filter out that sound - that's not what they're meant to do and not how they work. You would need some sort of directional mic, and possibly even reinforce its directionality with some sort of solid shield between it and your keyboard to minimize sound coming from it.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#4StormKMDPosted 10/10/2013 5:50:51 PM
I just got my Samson Go Mic in, and I'm loving it.
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | Seagate Barracuda 500GB | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
#5_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/10/2013 5:55:56 PM(edited)
There are not magic mics that are only sensitive to your voice and nothing around it. Even when you have a unidirectional microphone, the only way to really make sure it only picks up your voice is using some sort of stand and bringing it closer to your mouth. An alternative is just using a push to talk button. This is what I do, and it works best for me.

A pop filter will not help. It will just function as, well, a pop filter.

A lot of standalone mice are omnidirectional and really crappy quality when it comes to sound. I would personally avoid something like the Zalman clip on mic. On the other hand, something like the Blue yeti seems almost overkill for gaming. Personally I use the Samson Go mic and have been very happy with it.

---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#6shadowpik123(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2013 6:18:46 PM
I'm thinking the snowball would be sick and the Samson looks great too but from what I see it doesn't come with a stand :P
---
PSN: TheMuscleCop
Your stuff is my stuff and my stuff is my stuff.
#7daemon_danPosted 10/10/2013 6:46:30 PM
shadowpik123 posted...
I'm thinking the snowball would be sick and the Samson looks great too but from what I see it doesn't come with a stand :P

Then get one
---
Bekness is more amazing than any game ever <3
#8TheFeshPincePosted 10/10/2013 6:47:19 PM
StormKMD posted...
I just got my Samson Go Mic in, and I'm loving it.

This is what I'll be getting with Bing Credits.
---
http://i.imgur.com/J0lvB6S.jpg | http://i.imgur.com/DoHj9yA.jpg | http://youtu.be/YXkx-PSwbG4
#9claytonbuckleyPosted 10/11/2013 2:23:50 AM
I have a Samson C01U, and while i don't have a mechanical keyboard, i do bash my keys pretty hard, and it doesn't pick up that.I do have the mic pretty close to my mouth though, and the level is down pretty low so it doesn't pick up alot other than my voice.

It use to pick up mouse clicks though, till i got the desk arm for it so i could move it closer to my face.
---
Pointing out your stupidity is not trolling