This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When I see people complain about humble bundles, I see why piracy is rampant.

#41xanthan1Posted 10/12/2013 10:32:01 AM
xKynOx posted...
maybe they complain because most of the time the games are trash that are not worth a penny let alone a buck.

Let me guess, you're one of those idiots who can't fathom the idea that anything that isn't shiny and new looking can be good, aren't you?

PS. Super Meat Boy, Amnesia, Pyschonauts, Darksiders, Saints Row the Third, Blood Bowl, The Walking Dead, Back to the Future, Faster Than Light, Legend of Grimrock, and more. You have no idea what you're talking about.
#42JKatarnPosted 10/12/2013 10:33:03 AM
LordOfLegacies posted...
JKatarn posted...
Not enough explosions, set pieces and voice acting for you? There are certainly more than a few so-so or bad indie games, but I've had been FAR more entertained by the independent games in my collection on average than the formulaic AAA titles you lap up (not that AAA titles can't be entertaining). Also, you know Unity, UDK and more than a few other devkits are available for free, right? Let's see what you come up with on a minimal budget...we're waiting.

First I'd like to state that I've read all your other posts in this topic, and it seems like nobody is on your side. That combined with how pissy you get with anyone with a different opinion than yours and your overuse of buzz words makes it pretty hard to take you seriously.
That being said, you don't know anything about the games I like. It's not black and white where I hate all indies and love all big budget titles. I enjoy some indie games as much as I hate some big budget games. My point was that most indie games are terrible and lazy. Side scrollers with "vintage" graphics and cut and paste platforming gameplay with no creativity. Call it art or genius or whatever you want, but you're not gonna change my mind that it's pretentious hipster BS.
And devkits being available for those games doesn't mean anything if they're trash anyway. And when did having a minimal budget enter into this? I'm talking about quality, which has nothing to do with how much money you have to spend.

Few things:

A.) The "arguments" presented in this thread re: piracy not being important are flimsy rationalization at best and amount to "um..er...piracy is a red herring", "A cracking group dedicated to breaking DRM broke their DRM within a week, therefore companies don't care about piracy", "People would not have paid anyway/they're just trying out games (lol!)" et al so I'm not terribly concerned about being in the minority when it comes to this particular Algonquin Roundtable.

B.) I never stated that all independent games are gold, I took exception with your gross generalization painting all indie games as "garbage", and therefore used deductive reasoning to come to the conclusion that you were likely a typical Madden/Halo Fratbros. type gamer (and I see by your response I'm not far off). Also, I'm no fan of hipsters either. Several highly successful games were made by small teams on minimal budgets - "Minecraft", "Terraria", "Journey", "Braid", "Bastion"...there are more of course, but I see no need to go on. They're not perfect, but they're certainly not "garbage", unless you're the typical GameFAQs troll who declares anything not to their taste as "garbage".
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#43LordOfLegaciesPosted 10/12/2013 10:46:46 AM(edited)
JKatarn posted...
Few things:

A.) The "arguments" presented in this thread re: piracy not being important are flimsy rationalization at best and amount to "um..er...piracy is a red herring", "A cracking group dedicated to breaking DRM broke their DRM within a week, therefore companies don't care about piracy", "People would not have paid anyway/they're just trying out games (lol!)" et al so I'm not terribly concerned about being in the minority when it comes to this particular Algonquin Roundtable.

B.) I never stated that all independent games are gold, I took exception with your gross generalization painting all indie games as "garbage", and therefore used deductive reasoning to come to the conclusion that you were likely a typical Madden/Halo Fratbros. type gamer (and I see by your response I'm not far off). Also, I'm no fan of hipsters either. Several highly successful games were made by small teams on minimal budgets - "Minecraft", "Terraria", "Journey", "Braid", "Bastion"...there are more of course, but I see no need to go on. They're not perfect, but they're certainly not "garbage", unless you're the typical GameFAQs troll who declares anything not to their taste as "garbage".

A few things:

A. I didn't post in this thread for the piracy argument. I was just telling someone that they over estimate the quality of indie games, so I don't know why you're even bringing that up.

B. I never stated that all indie games are garbage, just most. And most are, there's no arguing with that. Therefor your "deductive reasoning" is faulty and unbased. I hate football, and I hate Madden. I used to play Halo til my 360 died, but so what? A lot of people play it, you don't have to be a frathouse dudebro guy to like an FPS. Again your deductive reasoning fails, as you were indeed far off.

C. For not being a fan of hipsters you sure act like one with all your talk about formulaic triple A games being lapped up and all that (seriously, use fewer buzzwords they don't make you sound smart or clever).

D. And I already told you that I do enjoy some indie games, Minecraft and Terraria being a couple of them. You're trying to put words in my mouth so you have points to argue because you can't find any actual points I've made to dispute. Given your responses so far, I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't even reading my posts fully.

E. Lastly, if you really thought I was a troll you wouldn't be arguing with me. Unless you're one of those typical GFAQS users that defines troll as "anyone I don't like".
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#44MarikhenPosted 10/17/2013 7:44:14 PM
PhilOnDez posted...
synthetiksin posted...
I've literally never heard anyone complain about the humble bundle.

This. The closest to a complaint I've ever heard is "Stupid paypal won't go through!"

Were you hearing yourself say that aloud?

JKatarn posted...
Generally when you "want" a heaping helping of AAA/specific titles offered to you for $1 you are "entitled".

Quotation marks to denote common misuse of words?

xKynOx posted...
maybe they complain because most of the time the games are trash that are not worth a penny let alone a buck.

And if they think that of a game or bundle of games that you clearly think is worth at least a hundred pennies?
---
Stop complaining. I could have done this more painfully. - Dryad from Sacred 2.
#45Chaos_MissilePosted 10/20/2013 5:51:28 PM(edited)
OrgeLambart posted...
lionheart5656 posted...
Piracy isn't rampant.

Little known fact: The music industry *****ed and moaned about radio when it first came out saying that them playing music on the radio would destroy the industry. It turns out that it boosted sales astronomically.

The only reason they ***** at all these days is because they want to delay the freedom of digital. The reason? They get licensing fees when only certain players can play their cds.

They know now what they figured out with the radio. Allowing people to access content unofficially actually boosts sales. Try before you buy just like any other market on earth since cavemen days.

They just don't want to lose the licensing fees because they are greedy little ********.

I'm sorry but most music people aren't complaining about Youtube, they complain about piracy where people can download the full length song in top quality and keep it for free. If you wanted to try the song you could easily watch it on Youtube as just about every major music act has their own official youtube page. Even many indie bands have boats loads of music on Youtube.

As for games, you have a point, too many games are lacking demos on the pc. I know if I could have tried a few games I wouldn't have purchased them that is for sure. Although stealing is stealing, no matter how you try to rationalize it, if you take something without paying you have stolen it.

1 year on, this is STILL bugging me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty4Bv2kv7Zs

That's an OFFICIAL PV for a game. Not a MAD, not a MV, not a AMV. It HELPS the publishers to advertise the game and the song. The SINGER is part of the game's cast.

And it got hit by a copyright claim? Note that it was only the audio got muted: this is highly implying that it was Warner Music Japan that hit it.
---
Action speaks louder than words. But words, when used right, overwhelm any action - Me, 2006
Let's put a smile on that face - The Joker, 2008
#46Lord_CohlianiPosted 10/20/2013 5:51:59 PM
synthetiksin posted...
I've literally never heard anyone complain about the humble bundle.

---
SteamID: Lord Cohliani
#47MasterDonGeroPosted 10/20/2013 6:22:08 PM
JKatarn posted...
xlequltx posted...
So do people just interchange "want" and "entitled" when they want to be condescending?

Generally when you "want" a heaping helping of AAA/specific titles offered to you for $1 you are "entitled". If you don't like the games in a bundle, that's fine, but don't whine that "X and Y" should be in the bundle - you're getting 4/5 games for $1, you don't have much wiggle room to complain.

No, when I want a game to be included in a humble bundle, I simply want a game in a humble bundle. If none of the games in it are appealing to me, I won't buy it. And, sure, I'm not entitled to be presented with a bundle, but I'm sure as hell entitled to say, "I don't like the games in this bundle; I won't buy it," and then suggest games to add that would convince me to buy the bundle. Just because the bundle can be a dollar doesn't mean I can't complain.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#48Links_Big_KeyPosted 10/20/2013 6:48:41 PM
I love Humble Bundles. I bought the Cities XL one just for that game. Throw in a couple of decent looking Diablo clones and a 3D RPG, and I will gladly pay a buck.

I also bought the EA one as well as the one with Fez, Bastion, Limbo, Mark of the Ninja, ect.

Great deals.
---
CMStormtrooper / SLI GTX 680 / GIG z68 / 2500k@4.2 / 8GB RAM / 256GB+128GB Crucial M4s / AW Optx AW2310 120hz for FPS/ U2713HM 1440p IPS for all other games
#49xBrokenxHaloxPosted 10/20/2013 7:48:30 PM
Some bundles are good, some aren't. It's that simple. People will always buy them regardless because people have *gasp* different opinions on games!
---
El Psy Congroo
#50nightshadeAPosted 10/20/2013 7:58:48 PM
cities xl sounds cool sorry i missed it ....... this android one ill pass on.....
---
theres no point in telling me the wisdom of fool wont set me free"neworder
"mr zurkon dosent shoot and ask questions later asking questions is stupid