This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Currently have an EVGA GTX 680 SC. Thinking of going SLI. Any warnings?

• Topic Archived

You have been randomly selected to participate in the Beta Test of our new message list page. We've rolled out this test in order to get additional feedback and error reports from a wider subset of users. We'll only display this notice once, but permanent links to disable the Beta, provide feedback, and get more information will be located at the bottom of each message list.

To disable this test for now, click here. For more information, please read our announcement about this redesign.

1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Currently have an EVGA GTX 680 SC. Thinking of going SLI. Any warnings?
2 years ago#11
ThePCElitist posted...
phy2jsh posted...
Main warning is its likely your VRAM will become a bottleneck to your performance. Not a massive issue to most, but can be compounded by using a very high resolution or high res texture mods etc. Some newer games (BF4? ) already requiring more than 2gb of VRAM at high settings.

My SLI 680's still gave me 60-74 fps on ultra at 1080p on BF4 in beta. I still call BS on those requirements.

VRAM doesn't really limit max framerate; you just get annoying stuttering when you go over 100% usage. You may well be right about BF4, though; I haven't tried it.
2 years ago#12
phy2jsh posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
phy2jsh posted...
Main warning is its likely your VRAM will become a bottleneck to your performance. Not a massive issue to most, but can be compounded by using a very high resolution or high res texture mods etc. Some newer games (BF4? ) already requiring more than 2gb of VRAM at high settings.

My SLI 680's still gave me 60-74 fps on ultra at 1080p on BF4 in beta. I still call BS on those requirements.

VRAM doesn't really limit max framerate; you just get annoying stuttering when you go over 100% usage. You may well be right about BF4, though; I haven't tried it.

If the game really needed more than 2GB, he'd get heavy stuttering that makes the game nearly unplayable. Worst case scenario is CTD.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
2 years ago#13
Reaper_Minion posted...
phy2jsh posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
phy2jsh posted...

If the game really needed more than 2GB, he'd get heavy stuttering that makes the game nearly unplayable. Worst case scenario is CTD.

Yep, I think that is consistent with what I just said.
2 years ago#14
phy2jsh posted...
Reaper_Minion posted...
phy2jsh posted...
ThePCElitist posted...
phy2jsh posted...

Yep, I think that is consistent with what I just said.

Be careful if you go over your cards maximum VRAM however, you will get stuttering, and eventually a crash.
2 years ago#15
Point is, he'd definitely notice if the 2GB VRAM caused a bottleneck. He's not wrong about the system requirements being BS.

As for resolutions higher than 1080p, using up more than 2GB of VRAM is not something we haven't seen before.
---
/|\ http://i.imgur.com/hK9c1lo.jpg?1
\|/ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE7x0WLz7SY
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Currently have an EVGA GTX 680 SC. Thinking of going SLI. Any warnings?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Message List Beta Test is now on. To disable the Beta, just click here, or you can read more about it, report an error, or provide general feedback.
  • Topic Archived