This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ITT: Games that are totally overrated

#31nighthawk16Posted 10/11/2013 7:35:48 PM
Boge posted...
Most games that are "overrated" to me have a couple of flaws that just completely get overlooked by most people, and I don't understand how that happens. They receive review scores in the 95+ range, basically indicating they are among the most perfect games ever, yet they have some pretty big flaws, or they're just as boring as most other games and don't really do anything different or better.

Because the flaws you perceive aren't perceived as flaws by others. They're not overlooked, their impact on their enjoyment of the game simply isn't as detrimental to them. In fact, they can even be enjoyed.

Saying a game is "overrated" is just another way of saying you don't like something popular, but with the added justification that it is due to the fact that you posses some higher understanding and greater critique than everyone else.
---
Well if it isn't fat stinking billygoat Billyboy in poison. How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap stinking chip-oil?
#32DerPancakePosted 10/11/2013 7:40:05 PM
Shebeskii posted...
I really feel like the only right answer is:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

I bought a PS3 recently to play some great games, and while I've been enjoying my purchase, this game sticks out as the most overrated game of all time. It takes the cake. Anything you think is overrated is actually accurate compared to the circle jerk that was Uncharted 2. This game stuns you with its average gameplay, precanned animations, lack luster controls and cover system, piss poor a.i., mediocre gun play, constant repetition and rock bottom replay value.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is the most overrated game in the history of gaming. It's the EPITOME of GRAPHICS WHORING.

The game still looks great for a console game, even today, but outside of some great graphics and cinematics, almost every modern AA (AAA isn't even in the question) trumps it in every other conceivable fashion.

This, I liked the games, but really there is nothing amazing about the series outside the cutscenes.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#33ShebeskiiPosted 10/11/2013 7:59:32 PM(edited)
DerPancake posted...
Shebeskii posted...
I really feel like the only right answer is:

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

I bought a PS3 recently to play some great games, and while I've been enjoying my purchase, this game sticks out as the most overrated game of all time. It takes the cake. Anything you think is overrated is actually accurate compared to the circle jerk that was Uncharted 2. This game stuns you with its average gameplay, precanned animations, lack luster controls and cover system, piss poor a.i., mediocre gun play, constant repetition and rock bottom replay value.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is the most overrated game in the history of gaming. It's the EPITOME of GRAPHICS WHORING.

The game still looks great for a console game, even today, but outside of some great graphics and cinematics, almost every modern AA (AAA isn't even in the question) trumps it in every other conceivable fashion.

This, I liked the games, but really there is nothing amazing about the series outside the cutscenes.

The melee and gun combat is also just so shallow.

Why do you have to press triangle to pick up ammo AND weapons? You're stuck sifting through pickups to press triangle at the right moment to get the ammo for your weapon. You get used to it, but it's just bad design.

The animation work is also pretty lack luster when it comes to platforming. Drake often jumps too early or too late, but the animation will just glide and "fix" his positioning.

Tomb Raider 2013 has better animation than Uncharted 2 by an order of magnitude. I actually didn't expect to see the animation be so bad considering how good the graphics are.

Aside from all these gripes I'll likely pick up Uncharted 3 (given how cheap everything is so late in the game), but it won't be my next game.

I'm currently working on GTAV and had a nice 4-5 hour taste of The Last of Us, which I'll pick up as soon as it drops to 29.99 or so.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#34dunebeetlePosted 10/11/2013 8:06:56 PM
Half-Life 2 (not 1 though)
---
http://vimeo.com/22145707#
#35LordOfLegaciesPosted 10/11/2013 8:09:56 PM
No such thing as an overrated game, period. Anyone who says differently is a butthurt hater.
---
The moderation staff and system on this website are both absolutely terrible.
#36ShebeskiiPosted 10/11/2013 8:14:27 PM
LordOfLegacies posted...
No such thing as an overrated game, period. Anyone who says differently is a butthurt hater.

Justin Bieber is famous because he is amazing.

It has absolutely nothing to do with social and cultural phenomenons completely independent of talent or quality.

Things are only popular based on quality, btw.
---
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. - Christopher Hitchens
#37SmoboHashPosted 10/11/2013 9:14:01 PM
Most overrated games are still pretty good, just not anything too special. Here are a few of mine:
Borderlands 2 - Little to no replay value, while the first is still loads of fun. I appreciate the PC support and do not regret my purchase, but they made some bad design decisions.
Half-Life - Has aged very poorly. Probably was more impressive on release.
Battlefield 3 - I don't even know what to say. The gameplay drives me nuts with how much I hate it.
Dark Souls - boring
Dota / LoL - Competitive gaming that relies on perfect execution of established strategies and has nothing to do with personal skill and has no room for innovation.
#38anonymous4everPosted 10/11/2013 9:19:03 PM
Mackorov posted...
Starting first with Batman Arkham Asylum/City.

Easily two of the best games I've played in recent years. "Overrated" is definitely not a term I would use when describing them.
#39kbe2k2Posted 10/11/2013 9:39:44 PM
Easy enough just copy & paste.

League of Legends
Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn
Dota 2
World of Warcraft
Terraria
Team Fortress 2
Battlefield 4
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Diablo III
Minecraft
#40SmoboHashPosted 10/11/2013 9:42:28 PM
LostHisHardcore posted...
Bioshock Infinite

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/bioshock-infinite-a-fan-scorned/1900-6415464/

Expressing controversial opinions solely for attention is so idiotic. I'm glad I run ad-block so I didn't provide any revenue to the author of that crap.