This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ITT: Games that are totally overrated

#41LoshadtPosted 10/11/2013 9:50:05 PM
Pretty much any hyped Sony exclusive game to come out in the past 6 years.

And Ocarina of Time, the god-emperor of overrated video games. This is the video game that inexplicably ends up on everyone's "best game of forever" list despite it aging like a glass of milk. Of course what is the king without its queen, Final Fantasy 7.

That isn't to say that they aren't good games, but it's not an exaggeration to say that they are treated like the cure of AIDS/Cancer in digital form.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#42Mackorov(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 10:41:35 PM
anonymous4ever posted...
Mackorov posted...
Starting first with Batman Arkham Asylum/City.

Easily two of the best games I've played in recent years. "Overrated" is definitely not a term I would use when describing them.

Well, that's what I don't get about the Arkham games. The games are good as Batman games, that I agree, but to put it up as GOTY quality or whatever is plain overhype. For one, the gameplay is really mediocre at best and the most praised aspect, the very simple fighting mechanics, is really nothing spectacular to me.
I've played other games like Sleeping Dogs and the Amazing Spiderman and the fighting mechanics in those games are way better than Batman's and despite lacking a little in the fluidity, at least the fighting is more than just stupid kicks and punches.

Then there's the cheesy dialogue that looked plucked straight from in a kids cartoon show and the storyline is too predictable. Nearly everything praised about the games I find nothing great about. How can reviews say Arkham City's open world is the best when there's practically nothing to do in it and everything is all plan repetition? If anything, Arkham City takes the cake for most overrated of overrated crap I've ever played.
#43_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/12/2013 12:12:14 AM(edited)
Games that are overrated, to me, are those games where there is a large gap between mainstream exposure, press coverage and even review ratings, and how much people actually enjoyed the games. Not games that people enjoyed / with obvious appeal that I did not like. In the last decade or so, a couple of games stood out to me that the press fell in love with, but that are already forgotten or never even registered in the minds of gamers. They may have gotten rave reviews, but I find it hard to find anyone honestly excited about these games after having played them.

-Any Metal gear game after Metal Gear Solid.

They were never quite able to recreate the story-telling and atmosphere of the metal gear game on the playstation. The gameplay itself is too basic to be exciting.

-Any Final fantasy after FF9.

It pains me to say this, because I used to LOVE final fantasy and several other franchises that Squaresoft had a part in. However, I feel like the games in the final fantasy franchise now only get the attention that they get because of what the series used to be. They continue to get high review scores from the press, but in reality, even the most die hard fans are starting to lose interest.

-Far Cry 2.

3 was a return to form for the series. However, Far Cry 2, to me is a prime example of gaming journalism gone wrong. This is one of those games that scores a 9 average at review sites, yet gamers all quietly agree that the game is crap. I bought this flaming turd based on reviews that somehow did not take into consideration whether or not the game was actually fun to play.

-Anything Peter Molyneux.

Somehow this guy always succeeds in convincing the world that his game will be something more than anything before it in the genre. However, what he releases is always solid, but safe, simplistic and unexciting and does not do anything that wow you quite as much as you expected based on his description of the game (Black and white, Fable etc.). Gamers like the games alright, but they are not really all that special to anyone and probably do not deserve the press or review scores.

I could go on, since there are a lot of games like this.

My personal dislikes of popular highly rated games.

Assassin's Creed series: Boring story, big open world with nothing to do in it, feels like a demo. The free-running is the only thing fun, but that had worn off before the end of the first game.
Batman series: The "press button to kill everything with somersaults"-gameplay that everyone seems so fond of, to me, is actually terrible.
COD series: How many times can you re-release a great game before I actually think it is crap, answer is less than 6.
The Witcher series: Even a game that has everything else going for it can become a drag when there is a large focus on combat, and the combat is really not all that much fun.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#44ElfergosPosted 10/12/2013 1:25:23 AM
Anything from Bethesda
Anything from Bioware
Borderlands
#45matu90rkPosted 10/12/2013 1:28:40 AM(edited)
MGS4.
The Last of Us.
Uncharted.
Assassin's Creed.
And most other AAA crap.
#46VeiledGenesisPosted 10/12/2013 1:56:58 AM
I really think you guys need to brush up on your English. The word "overrated" doesn't mean to despise, hate, or show general displeasure and distaste towards something. This is the part people always seem to grossly misunderstand.

Most of the games mentioned are not overrated though. Over-hyped? Yes. Overrated? Most are rated in the manner they are because how well they accomplish the task they were intended for. For example, as much as many people hate the Call of Duty series - mostly due to mob mentality, whether anyone wants to admit to it or not - the games themselves are quite well-made.

The biggest issue is that the supposed AAA titles that come out every year are picked over with a magnifying glass by fans, critics, and "haters". Typically what ends up happening is any flaw, doesn't matter how slight or severe it might be/seem, ends up blown out of proportion(most of the time), which in turn creates this massive divide upon which you're on one side or the other. But if another, similar, lesser known title comes along, it is treated with a different attitude by everyone(sometimes the reverse from above). Perhaps it has more issues with it, but is patched up in a timely manner. Most people will forgive and forget. But if our Call of Duty example did the same thing, people would be outright furious and call it the biggest pile of **** ever created. I mean, just look at what's going on with GTA:O, and it's barely 2 weeks into being available, not to mention Rockstar's first foray into actual, large scale online play.

I guess what my point is, is that gamers at large are incredibly unfair in their views, almost entirely due to name brand or expectations that can never be met.

Although, I will say that in situations like with Age of Conan, and how Funcom handled that, the hate they received was 100% justified.
---
That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.
#47Fade2black001Posted 10/12/2013 3:00:57 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#48Mr kittyPosted 10/12/2013 4:03:20 AM
Nearly all exclusives games on PS3.
---
Sabertooth X79|Core i7 3930K @4.3GHz|Zalman CNPS12X|Kingston HyperX 8X4GB CL9|VisionTek HD7970 3GB|10TB storage|Silent Pro M1000W|TC-32LZ800|Corsair 800D
#49Kevin_OSPosted 10/12/2013 4:09:15 AM
Half Life 2. Just recently completed it and I felt it was overlong and boring. It was an okay game that I'd rate 7 out of 10 at most. It was solid just not very interesting. Only got somewhat entertaining towards the end which I enjoyed.

Ocarina of Time. Could never hold my interest for very long so I've never completed it. It hasn't aged well and just feels old and clunky now.
---
3570k / HD 7870 / GA-Z77X-D3H / 500R / 1TB HDD / 8GB DDR3 / TX 650
#50NingishzidaPosted 10/12/2013 4:16:07 AM
VeiledGenesis posted...
I really think you guys need to brush up on your English. The word "overrated" doesn't mean to despise, hate, or show general displeasure and distaste towards something. This is the part people always seem to grossly misunderstand.

Most of the games mentioned are not overrated though. Over-hyped? Yes. Overrated? Most are rated in the manner they are because how well they accomplish the task they were intended for. For example, as much as many people hate the Call of Duty series - mostly due to mob mentality, whether anyone wants to admit to it or not - the games themselves are quite well-made.

The biggest issue is that the supposed AAA titles that come out every year are picked over with a magnifying glass by fans, critics, and "haters". Typically what ends up happening is any flaw, doesn't matter how slight or severe it might be/seem, ends up blown out of proportion(most of the time), which in turn creates this massive divide upon which you're on one side or the other. But if another, similar, lesser known title comes along, it is treated with a different attitude by everyone(sometimes the reverse from above). Perhaps it has more issues with it, but is patched up in a timely manner. Most people will forgive and forget. But if our Call of Duty example did the same thing, people would be outright furious and call it the biggest pile of **** ever created. I mean, just look at what's going on with GTA:O, and it's barely 2 weeks into being available, not to mention Rockstar's first foray into actual, large scale online play.

I guess what my point is, is that gamers at large are incredibly unfair in their views, almost entirely due to name brand or expectations that can never be met.

Although, I will say that in situations like with Age of Conan, and how Funcom handled that, the hate they received was 100% justified.

dev apologist