This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

ITT: Games that are totally overrated

#51anonymous4everPosted 10/12/2013 9:13:01 AM
Mackorov posted...
anonymous4ever posted...
Mackorov posted...
Starting first with Batman Arkham Asylum/City.

Easily two of the best games I've played in recent years. "Overrated" is definitely not a term I would use when describing them.

Well, that's what I don't get about the Arkham games. The games are good as Batman games, that I agree, but to put it up as GOTY quality or whatever is plain overhype. For one, the gameplay is really mediocre at best and the most praised aspect, the very simple fighting mechanics, is really nothing spectacular to me.
I've played other games like Sleeping Dogs and the Amazing Spiderman and the fighting mechanics in those games are way better than Batman's and despite lacking a little in the fluidity, at least the fighting is more than just stupid kicks and punches.

Then there's the cheesy dialogue that looked plucked straight from in a kids cartoon show and the storyline is too predictable. Nearly everything praised about the games I find nothing great about. How can reviews say Arkham City's open world is the best when there's practically nothing to do in it and everything is all plan repetition? If anything, Arkham City takes the cake for most overrated of overrated crap I've ever played.

I respect your opinion....lol. To each their own. It really wasn't necessary to go into explicit detail over it.
#52GynthaeresPosted 10/12/2013 9:45:04 AM
Last of Us: A decent movie interrupted by some tedious stealth and some generic cover-based shooter sequences. I have no idea why people think it's like, the harbinger of a renaissance in gaming.

Bioshock Infinite: A solid story, cool character, and good setting. Ruined by ho-hum, dull gameplay. Again, not sure why this is some hallmark in gaming, GotY 10/10.

Dragon Age Origins: I could fill an entire, 4000 character post on why this game is overrated. Essentially though, a preschool-level story (obvious bad guy betrays king for no real reason, at the worst possible time to start a coup, then throws the one group of people who could save him under a bus). The primary enemy just consists of Generic Fantasy Enemies #1, 4, and 8, with Orcs, Goblins, and Ogres. The Darkspawn are given very little depth or motivation, and serve only as a plot device. Party members are pulled straight from other Bioware games. Leveling and loot are both rather boring. Major choices in the game tend to have one right answer, and several wrong answers.
And so on, and so on. It's got so many flaws that I can't begin to understand why people love it how they do.

Starcraft 2: A disappointment for me because it's essentially the same game as SC1, just with some new units. I was hoping for innovation, for breaking new ground, for a new experience. But newp, I played this game to death years ago. It's also designed from the ground, up to be a highly competitive esport, which means if you aren't a huge fan of heavy competition, it's not actually a ton of fun to play.
I feel SC2 is only popular because of the name brand, and because RTSes are a rare thing these days.

Half-Life 2: To be fair, it was probably amazing when it was released, and I'm sure that's what most people remember. Me, I first beat it like... four months ago. And was struck at how bad it was. Awful level design that left me lost more than once, because I missed the tiny little ladder in the corner of the map. Hugely repetitious with its enemies... I was incredibly sick of the Combine by the end of the game. It took too long to get to the cool overcharged gravity gun. And Alyx / Dog were surprisingly absent from the majority of the game.
Again, probably innovative and well-designed at release, but it just doesn't stand up anymore.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Most fanboys literally consider Morrowind perfection. Anything different from Morrowind is worse. Oblivion? Worse because of what it removed from Morrowind. Daggerfall? Worse because it had unnecessary stuff that Morrowind intelligently removed.
Great for its time, still good now, but the fanboys have elevated it to some godlike status.
---
The sole purpose of this space is to make my post look longer.
#53blakegallowayPosted 10/12/2013 9:52:37 AM
Gynthaeres posted...
Last of Us: A decent movie interrupted by some tedious stealth and some generic cover-based shooter sequences. I have no idea why people think it's like, the harbinger of a renaissance in gaming.

Bioshock Infinite: A solid story, cool character, and good setting. Ruined by ho-hum, dull gameplay. Again, not sure why this is some hallmark in gaming, GotY 10/10.

Dragon Age Origins: I could fill an entire, 4000 character post on why this game is overrated. Essentially though, a preschool-level story (obvious bad guy betrays king for no real reason, at the worst possible time to start a coup, then throws the one group of people who could save him under a bus). The primary enemy just consists of Generic Fantasy Enemies #1, 4, and 8, with Orcs, Goblins, and Ogres. The Darkspawn are given very little depth or motivation, and serve only as a plot device. Party members are pulled straight from other Bioware games. Leveling and loot are both rather boring. Major choices in the game tend to have one right answer, and several wrong answers.
And so on, and so on. It's got so many flaws that I can't begin to understand why people love it how they do.

Starcraft 2: A disappointment for me because it's essentially the same game as SC1, just with some new units. I was hoping for innovation, for breaking new ground, for a new experience. But newp, I played this game to death years ago. It's also designed from the ground, up to be a highly competitive esport, which means if you aren't a huge fan of heavy competition, it's not actually a ton of fun to play.
I feel SC2 is only popular because of the name brand, and because RTSes are a rare thing these days.

Half-Life 2: To be fair, it was probably amazing when it was released, and I'm sure that's what most people remember. Me, I first beat it like... four months ago. And was struck at how bad it was. Awful level design that left me lost more than once, because I missed the tiny little ladder in the corner of the map. Hugely repetitious with its enemies... I was incredibly sick of the Combine by the end of the game. It took too long to get to the cool overcharged gravity gun. And Alyx / Dog were surprisingly absent from the majority of the game.
Again, probably innovative and well-designed at release, but it just doesn't stand up anymore.

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Most fanboys literally consider Morrowind perfection. Anything different from Morrowind is worse. Oblivion? Worse because of what it removed from Morrowind. Daggerfall? Worse because it had unnecessary stuff that Morrowind intelligently removed.
Great for its time, still good now, but the fanboys have elevated it to some godlike status.

Sucks to be you. Not that you can't have an awesome library without the titles you mentioned, but jeez...
---
Sometimes death comes knocking.
Sometimes it tears down the walls.
#54blade6321Posted 10/12/2013 10:16:33 AM(edited)
LostHisHardcore posted...
Bioshock Infinite

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/bioshock-infinite-a-fan-scorned/1900-6415464/

Pretty good review

A 4 ??? I thought this got a 9??? 'Sigh' Guess Tom likes indie games like 'braid' or 'super meat boy' more. But i have to say I loved this game - even more on my second play through in 1999 mode and clash in the cloud DLC gave you more of an idea how to play properly.

If tom doesn't like this then i don't see much hope in any other 1st person titles he plays.

These people literally think Bioshock infinite is the greatest FPS of all time.

SmoboHash posted...

Dota / LoL - nothing to do with personal skill

This is what casuals actually believe.
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
-Crabdom Ambassador.
#55The_AntiGrimPosted 10/12/2013 11:06:06 AM
akuma634 posted...
None of them. Just because you didn't like something popular doesn't mean everyone should check their expectations at the door.

"I hate partaking in social activities. If you don't take everything seriously, you're stupid"
---
Sidekick to the famous DarkHero
#56lionheart5656Posted 10/12/2013 11:07:37 AM
ITT: Games I don't like that everyone else likes.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#57xBrokenxHaloxPosted 10/12/2013 12:50:59 PM
STALKER
System Shock 2
---
Just so I can type in CAPS
#58phy2jshPosted 10/12/2013 3:03:52 PM
lionheart5656 posted...
ITT: Games I don't like that everyone else likes.

I think this is what overrated means, really. Objectively, nothing can be overrated; by definition, things are rated what they are rated...
---
Posted using GameFlux
#59Killah PriestPosted 10/12/2013 3:05:22 PM
every game is overrated
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#60jrocx39Posted 10/12/2013 3:23:05 PM
The Witcher