This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your opinion on Linux?

#1AlexKidd5000Posted 10/11/2013 5:09:07 AM
I've been using Linux since early April, trying out different versions like Ubuntu, Mint, Zorin, Pinguy, and Manjaro. And I found Manjaro to be by far the best (based on Arch), and Ubuntu pretty much sucks balls. I found that the more I use it, the harder it is to go back to Windows, its been much more stable than Windows 7 has been for me. Its just as easy to use, and Steam comes preinstalled, and works like a charm. I've barely touched Windows in the last 6 months, it has a ton of potential, just need more games, and general software I think. Gun/Linux has been pretty amazing so far. Makes me hope that Valve succeeds with SteamOS/Steam Machines.
#2ShubPosted 10/11/2013 5:11:38 AM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
just need more games

That sums it up for me. I'd switch to some flavor of Linux if it was any good for gaming, but one still needs Windows for that, and I don't want to dual boot, so I'm sticking to Windows.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3LostHisHardcorePosted 10/11/2013 5:14:30 AM
If AMDs drivers didn't suck for it and most my games were available on it I'd ditch windows in a heartbeat
---
"What we've got here is a failure to communicate!"
"I'm you, I'm your shadow!"
#4Digital StormPosted 10/11/2013 5:41:20 AM
Needs work, needs fixing.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#5AlexKidd5000(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 5:42:44 AM
Yeah, the drivers need alot of work.
#6HydroCannabinolPosted 10/11/2013 5:57:15 AM
Shub posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
just need more games

That sums it up for me. I'd switch to some flavor of Linux if it was any good for gaming, but one still needs Windows for that, and I don't want to dual boot, so I'm sticking to Windows.

I'm in the same boat. Don't want to get half my files on one OS and half on another. -_-;;
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#7Lonestar2000Posted 10/11/2013 6:02:08 AM
Linux is only useful for servers and really low spec machines.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#8ElementalWindPosted 10/11/2013 6:07:15 AM
Fine for a work machine, but it's still not up to the point where I'd use it as my primary OS on a personal machine.
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#9dermoratrakenPosted 10/11/2013 6:12:29 AM
It doesn't support much in the way of home pc use, and it really doesn't offer benefits i want over windows. I see it mostly as a 'cool' thing people use to feel superior.
#10AlexKidd5000(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 6:47:54 AM
dermoratraken posted...
It doesn't support much in the way of home pc use, and it really doesn't offer benefits i want over windows. I see it mostly as a 'cool' thing people use to feel superior.

Linux actually has the potential to be superior to Windows, it just needs more support from user, and developers.