This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your opinion on Linux?

#11SinisterSlayPosted 10/11/2013 6:51:14 AM
Honestly, I find every linux distro to be buggy pieces of s***.
They all have a serious case of to many hands in the pot. Frequently making changes to things that didn't need to be changed, breaking things that used to work.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#12Ch3wyPosted 10/11/2013 6:56:17 AM
HydroCannabinol posted...
Shub posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
just need more games

That sums it up for me. I'd switch to some flavor of Linux if it was any good for gaming, but one still needs Windows for that, and I don't want to dual boot, so I'm sticking to Windows.

I'm in the same boat. Don't want to get half my files on one OS and half on another. -_-;;

You can make shared partitions for storage. Or just keep all your games on your Windows partition and link to your Windows partition in Linux.

Last I've used Linux it wasn't that great though. It was amazing in comparison to Vista at the time on that machine, but it still had problems like breaking when I toggled my laptops touchpad. Sometimes it would just freeze altogether. That was Ubuntu though, I'm sure some are better as far as stability is concerned.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#13MeatballsoupPosted 10/11/2013 6:58:10 AM
Games run great on Linux, just barely any are made for it. Hopefully this will change in the future.

At the moment I would not recommend Linux for gaming, but I look forward to the day when I can.
#14dermoratrakenPosted 10/11/2013 7:01:41 AM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
Linux actually has the potential to be superior to Windows, it just needs more support from user, and developers.

Even if i agreed with that, the simple fact is that it lacks the necessary support. Even worse, the support that it does have is represented in tiny groups all doing their own thing, and that's holding linux back more than anything.
#15Rexdragon125Posted 10/11/2013 7:30:48 AM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...
Honestly, I find every linux distro to be buggy pieces of s***.
They all have a serious case of to many hands in the pot. Frequently making changes to things that didn't need to be changed, breaking things that used to work.

This. They don't care about how usable FOSS is, because it's free and you have the source! Who cares if you're not a programmer. Lots of Linux programs feel like they could only be arsed to come up with 90% of it because they're just volunteers, and expect the user to come up with the rest so it actually works.

And my God I hate the community. The only support most FOSS projects tend to have is a user forum where all they do is berate you for asking "obvious" questions even after hours of Googling. Really, Linux doesn't have any advantages over Windows on the desktop besides price.
#16CC RicersPosted 10/11/2013 7:40:52 AM
For their FOSS programs, they need more guys that are not experts in programming, but in UI design. I find GIMP's interface kind of atrocious, even though it can be just as capable as Photoshop for my needs.

The only thing I've stuck with Linux in the long haul is for LAMP stack development.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#17MasterDonGeroPosted 10/11/2013 7:41:24 AM
dermoratraken posted...
It doesn't support much in the way of home pc use, and it really doesn't offer benefits i want over windows. I see it mostly as a 'cool' thing people use to feel superior.

That's because you're ignorant of and uneducated on Linux.

As for me, I just haven't wanted to try it myself. Maybe when I get another HDD, since this one has about 75 GB left, and I'm erring on the side of caution.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#18Ch3wyPosted 10/11/2013 7:43:32 AM
One thing I do like about Linux is the massive amount of freeware tools available.

Most of them have GUIs that range from crappy to non-existent, but there seems to be a tool for just about everything.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#19dermoratrakenPosted 10/11/2013 7:46:33 AM
MasterDonGero posted...
That's because you're ignorant of and uneducated on Linux.

This is a pretty typical response. Anybody that doesn't think linux is the best obviously must not know anything about it!
#20mrCubePosted 10/11/2013 7:46:49 AM
I like the software, the environment, the Linux filesystem, package management, etc. I prefer almost everything about Linux over Windows... except the way it looks. There is not a single WM or DE out there that offers a clean, consistent UI. Every single one has an icon that doesn't mesh well, or a menu that doesn't look quite right. Really, it's the aesthetics that keep me from using Linux as my main desktop OS, because the inconsistencies of Linux desktop environments bugs the s*** out of me
---
---