This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your opinion on Linux?

#31AlexKidd5000(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 9:17:34 AM
thesc posted...
I spent a full day trying to set up my computer to dual boot windows and mint and could not for the life of me get it to take...that was the beginning and end of my linux experience

Mint lets you install it along side Windows on another partition. Its the esiest thing in the world lol.
#32CC RicersPosted 10/11/2013 9:20:56 AM
You know I think I made my mind up, I'm going with Hannah Montana Linux.

http://hannahmontana.sourceforge.net/

She'd be more popular with Gnome, however.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#33thescPosted 10/11/2013 9:21:07 AM
AlexKidd5000 posted...
thesc posted...
I spent a full day trying to set up my computer to dual boot windows and mint and could not for the life of me get it to take...that was the beginning and end of my linux experience

Mint lets you install it along side Windows on another partition. Its the esiest thing in the world lol.

thats what I thought too, but I have a way of making the easiest tasks not work
#34AlexKidd5000(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 9:26:54 AM
thesc posted...
AlexKidd5000 posted...
thesc posted...

thats what I thought too, but I have a way of making the easiest tasks not work

Heh, so do I lol.
#35clschneider1990Posted 10/11/2013 10:12:25 AM
It is horrible
---
GT:EchoesOfMercy
#36Shin_GallonPosted 10/11/2013 10:20:29 AM
An interesting diversion but I'll stick with Windows and OSX until it gets something that can compete with Photoshop (GIMP is just...no)
#37BowtiesAreCoolPosted 10/11/2013 10:27:08 AM
I prefer Linux to Windows in everything. And most games I would play on Windows are pretty much indies, so I like gaming on PS3 better.
Also, Ardentryst is a great game.
---
PSN: ragingmerifes
I accept PSN gifts. I don't have a job.
#38nobleisthynamePosted 10/11/2013 10:27:20 AM
I use Linux for just about everything. I dual-boot Windows on my desktop for gaming and Netflix support but that's it. I too cycled through a bunch of the mainstream distros before settling on Arch.

It really does come down to personal preference, but much like PC gaming vs. console gaming, I wish people wouldn't misrepresent things.

The main issue with Linux is third party support, it can be severely lacking in many areas. But this is no more a fault of Linux than games being console exclusive is a fault of PC gaming.

Besides that, Linux IS much faster, stable, and secure than Windows. This is a result of the OS design and frankly, under the hood, Windows is mostly junk. Linux is just so much cleaner and easy to use once you get past the initial learning curve.

I'm a computer science major so I do a lot of programming. In general, Linux is a much better environment for that which is why I started using it in the first place. I simply stuck around after realizing how much nicer everything else was.

Spend a year with Linux and try switching back to Windows. You'll start to realize how crappy Windows is. Troubleshooting on Linux >>>>>>>> troubleshooting on Windows. When a common solution to problems is to simply reinstall the OS, the OS has serious problems (hell, people reinstall Windows even when they have no problems simply because it slows down so much just from general use).

All that said, I don't give a damn if you don't use Linux. There are certainly benefits to using Windows, most notably the vastly superior third party support. I'm simply tired of the misinformation.
---
http://i.imgur.com/q9ZP3.jpg http://i.imgur.com/rBKxd.gif
#39justchill433Posted 10/11/2013 11:18:37 AM(edited)
I like Linux. I mostly use it for any programming I do. But like other people said, crap drivers and little game support is why Windows shall always be my main OS.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#40mrCubePosted 10/11/2013 11:27:04 AM
When a common solution to problems is to simply reinstall the OS, the OS has serious problems (hell, people reinstall Windows even when they have no problems simply because it slows down so much just from general use).

To be fair though, this is mostly just because people don't feel like learning how to fix Windows. I've seen very, very few problems with Windows that require a full format/reinstall. Windows has the tools built in to fix most stuff, and there's very good software available to fix just about every problem out there.

But overall I agree with your post.
---
---