This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your opinion on Linux?

#61mrCubePosted 10/12/2013 11:44:07 AM
ElementalWind posted...
To be fair though, this is mostly just because people don't feel like learning how to fix Windows.
When "fixing" an issue on Windows is reading a dialog that says "something didn't work" and clicking a button that says "troubleshoot" in hopes that the mysterious problem will magically fix itself, it's pretty easy to give up trying to fix Windows.
(Recreating the same scenario with Linux and Mac OS, both OSes were happy to tell me exactly what the problem was, which made fixing it really easy)

Honestly it just sounds like you're super inexperienced at troubleshooting problems with either OS. If every problem you've had with Linux is explained to you by the OS, you've never really had a problem with Linux (which does say something about the OS though)
---
---
#62ElementalWindPosted 10/15/2013 6:14:02 PM
Uh... what does "real" troubleshooting on those OSes look like, then?
---
"debates are contests of rhetoric, not argumentative rigor." -DragooneerZero
#63AlexKidd5000(Topic Creator)Posted 10/16/2013 7:03:18 AM
I have not had to do any real problem solving so far with Manjaro, but I had to with Ubuntu, and several of its derivatives.
#64este914Posted 10/16/2013 7:06:01 AM
Is there any website or similar that lists the new games that are released on Linux platform?
---
...::: este914 :::...
The One & Only!
#65JCourChesNePosted 10/16/2013 7:23:27 AM
I like Linux, I've used it in the past when I was doing a lot of programming. But as a gamer, it's pretty much mandatory to use Windows if you want to be able to play most games.
---
If you like FF7 challenges, check out my channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/VashFanboy1?feature=mhee
#66New LinkPosted 10/18/2013 10:56:31 AM
I have had a linux-only household for eight years. There is literally nothing that I need which is exclusive to windows.

What I do need is a good home network with multiple servers, which linux does much better than windows.

I need a high performance graphics multimedia center, which linux does much better than windows. Especially now that out nvidia drivers perform better than their windows alternatives, and with all of the enhancements in the AMD drivers in the 3.10 kernel.

I need stability. I have some boxes with 300+ days of uptime, which have all of their software up to date, never needing to "try turning it off and on again." If something breaks, I broke it.

I need a good software development environment. Running vim, git, and gcc within an xmonad interface is a far better experience than trying to deal with Visual Studio which for some odd reason will compile binaries which dont run everywhere that they should, has a horrid text editor, and dealing with explorer.exe is ridiculous. The desktop paradigm on which it was founded is long out of date.

I need speed. It's hard to give any one example... I have one box that when it had Windows on it would take about seven minutes to fully boot (including startup services.) That same box running arch boots in less than 15 seconds.

I need a sane update path. The mess of updaters which run on windows is laughable at best. Got java? Intall the Oracle Updater... how about an ask toolbar as part of the update, that sounds nice. Got Flash? Get the flash updater. Pdf Reader? Seperate updater! Windows itself? Seperate updater! Chrome Or FireFox? Self contained seperate updators! On linux we can only laugh at that. It's so ridiculous that you have to deal with that. The linux kernel, all of your drivers, all of the software that came installed on it, all of the software you installed on it yourself, all managed under a single update utility that doesnt break your machine when you run it.

I need to have a useable terminal. I can sit down at any Unix based machine and feel at home. Trying to accomplish anything useful in CMD or PowerShell is a hellacious activity. Need recursion and pipes, some xargs and sed? What would have been a single command in bash has just turned into a trip through AD, seven gui windows and two reboots.

What I need is to be the one in control of my machine. If i need to shut down my box and pack up, i can and never get stopped by "windows is updating, don't power off" for 30 minutes.

When things do go wrong, i need a proper log. Not some binary dumpfile and a BSOD with a hexadecimal code.

I could go on but im typing on my cellphone.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!
#67mrCubePosted 10/18/2013 11:00:14 AM
^Good post
---
---
#68YoungAdultLinkPosted 10/18/2013 11:00:26 AM
It's certainly a thing, that's for sure. If it offered anything I needed, I'm sure I'd know more.
---
Once we perfect building Mechs, I expect there to be a factory in Mexico pumping out a brand call Mechsican. I wanna buy me a Mechsican.
steamid: Rohchya
#69Orestes417Posted 10/18/2013 11:07:10 AM
To be fair to MS, Powershell is a massive improvement and the problem with using it isn't in Powershell itself. The problem is the lack of the half million other independent command line utilities that you commonly use from the shell without even thinking about them and the genral lack of well documented CLI modes for Windows apps.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#70New LinkPosted 10/18/2013 11:10:47 AM
Orestes417 posted...
To be fair to MS, Powershell is a massive improvement and the problem with using it isn't in Powershell itself. The problem is the lack of the half million other independent command line utilities that you commonly use from the shell without even thinking about them and the genral lack of well documented CLI modes for Windows apps.

By all means it's a massive improvement, and it's the first application i open when i log in to a windows machine, but I can't complete the day without cygwin/cygterm. Even those are shoddy at best really considering their application install path.
---
-SNES- Hasta Pasta!
Sieh nur wie ich laufen kann... Mich fängst du nicht, ich bin der Lebkuchenmann!