This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GOG is truly amazing.

#11r0ge00Posted 10/11/2013 10:18:13 AM
JKatarn posted...
Yeah, I like GoG but I'm disappointed at the slow trickle of classic releases lately, they seem to be releasing far more independent and newer titles lately and very few older DOS/Windows games. I kind of feel like they are losing their identity it's "Good Old Games" after all.

They said that a while ago. That's why it was changed to just GOG. As for the old games, some publishers just won't budge or aren't willing to work with them or the rights are tied up in some way or another. They did get System Shock 2 though, I'm sure more are coming eventually.
#12TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 10/11/2013 10:23:59 AM
Does GOG have a client yet with features like Steam has (easy to do pretty much anything, there are many community features, etc)?

I've considered buying games from GOG many times, but I usually go with the Steam versions because I don't like fragmenting my game collection and I like Steam's features. GOG's DRM-free policy isn't a good enough incentive for me.
---
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/55488_o.gif
http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
#13Rama_III(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 10:27:05 AM
TheC0ndemnedOne posted...
Does GOG have a client yet with features like Steam has (easy to do pretty much anything, there are many community features, etc)?

I've considered buying games from GOG many times, but I usually go with the Steam versions because I don't like fragmenting my game collection and I like Steam's features. GOG's DRM-free policy isn't a good enough incentive for me.

The games are run through GOG's frontend...emulator, I guess. I imagine they use DOSBox for DOS games, etc.

Each game has its own .exe. You don't need to worry about optimizing the games or anything like that.
---
The Garden Of Rama
Arthur C. Clarke is the one true God.
#14Rama_III(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 10:29:42 AM
But yeah, pretty much all those games are amazing.

In terms of action games, the Crusader and Magic Carpet series are still very playable today. Clive Barker's Undying is still one of the scariest games ever made.

I've played through the Ultima series a few times, but they are anything but easy to get into...so watch out for them.

Everyone loves Theme Hospital.

Yeah...this list in particular is solid.
---
The Garden Of Rama
Arthur C. Clarke is the one true God.
#15ElfergosPosted 10/11/2013 10:53:52 AM
It sure is, I have bought numerous packs from them. The only thing I would say it could do with is a client, like steam has, which manages your games.

Plus buying from GoG finances CD Project RED who are becoming an outstanding developer.

It just nice to have a big player in the industry that doesn't treat you with suspicion, try to rip you off or claim that you are "entitled" if you don't want to be taken advantage of.
#16TheMisfitPosted 10/11/2013 10:56:21 AM
JKatarn posted...
Yeah, I like GoG but I'm disappointed at the slow trickle of classic releases lately, they seem to be releasing far more independent and newer titles lately and very few older DOS/Windows games. I kind of feel like they are losing their identity it's "Good Old Games" after all.

Probably because LOTS of old games no longer hold publishing or developer rights and are now just flat out freeware. Myabandonware has an insane amount of free classic freeware games.
---
GameFAQs fanboy for 12 years.
#17JKatarnPosted 10/11/2013 11:07:24 AM
TheMisfit posted...
JKatarn posted...

Probably because LOTS of old games no longer hold publishing or developer rights and are now just flat out freeware. Myabandonware has an insane amount of free classic freeware games.

Just because a company has not used intellectual property in a while does not mean it's public domain. A select number of titles have been released by their publishers/authors for free - you can find them on sites like liberategames, however, I'd wager that the vast majority of the titles on sites like "Myabandonware" are certainly NOT freeware (anymore than older non-VC'd consoles titles are "freeware").
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#18biohazard1775Posted 10/13/2013 3:56:12 PM
What does this board think of Ultima Underworld?
---
http://i.imgur.com/nrx65Pw.jpg
We should take away their metal boxes!
#19kingoffpsPosted 10/13/2013 4:27:58 PM
I'm probably going to be beaten to a pulp for saying this...but I'd prefer if they did have DRM and some centralised desktop client for downloading the games like Steam.

Paying and then downloading an exe installer which I'll just keep on my computer just doesn't feel right. There's no functional difference between having that and a pirated version of the game then. Especially if I paid for the game years ago..

Having them all tidily accessible from the cloud and downloadable/installable with a single button is why I pay for all of my games on Steam and don't pirate anymore.
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#20Bellum_SacrumPosted 10/13/2013 4:55:17 PM
biohazard1775 posted...
What does this board think of Ultima Underworld?

In my mind Ultima Underworld was a big messy clamp of untapped potential. The painfully generic "art"
on RPGs of that period doesn't help either. :/

I am going to express the rather controversial opinion that From Software (the company lately known as "the guys that made Dark Souls") have done an immaculate job at reproducing and even perfecting Ultima Underworld's "genre", with their King's Field series.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."