This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GOG is truly amazing.

#21Bellum_SacrumPosted 10/13/2013 4:08:17 PM
Elfergos posted...
The only thing I would say it could do with is a client, like steam has, which manages your games.

This is one thing I don't get. Why have an awkward middleman when you can do things faster yourself?

Having to start and log into Steam every time I want to play a game feels like having to use a key to unlock the box that is holding the key to the door I want to enter.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#22DiviDudePosted 10/13/2013 4:17:28 PM
Clive Barker's Undying is a game you want. Especially for $2.39.
#23kingoffpsPosted 10/13/2013 4:18:20 PM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Elfergos posted...
The only thing I would say it could do with is a client, like steam has, which manages your games.

This is one thing I don't get. Why have an awkward middleman when you can do things faster yourself?

Having to start and log into Steam every time I want to play a game feels like having to use a key to unlock the box that is holding the key to the door I want to enter.

Most people have Steam permanently running in the tray as far as I know.

Loading it and double clicking a game surely can't be noticeably slower than finding wherever you've put your icon for the game and clicking on that.

You're talking maybe 3 clicks versus 2. The convenience of having a single place from which to download, run, and update all of your games is worth the extra click.

Also you can create external shortcuts to Steam games.
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#24TimePharaohPosted 10/13/2013 4:20:27 PM
TheMisfit posted...
JKatarn posted...
Yeah, I like GoG but I'm disappointed at the slow trickle of classic releases lately, they seem to be releasing far more independent and newer titles lately and very few older DOS/Windows games. I kind of feel like they are losing their identity it's "Good Old Games" after all.

Probably because LOTS of old games no longer hold publishing or developer rights and are now just flat out freeware. Myabandonware has an insane amount of free classic freeware games.

First off abandonware=/=freeware

"Lapsed rights" falls under abandonware

And abandonware isn't even a real thing, so....
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#25TimePharaohPosted 10/13/2013 4:22:11 PM
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
Elfergos posted...

So instead of using a key to open a box to get all your things, you would rather just have a thousand boxes?

logicfaqs
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png