This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft admits it's antivirus MSE isn't as good as the competitors

#1King PazuzuPosted 10/11/2013 10:07:45 AM
http://lifehacker.com/microsoft-admits-that-third-party-antivirus-is-more-eff-1441135677

Does this mean I should delete MSE and find something else?
---
In a 6 person hot tub, there should be a maximum of 3 guys.
#2SinisterSlayPosted 10/11/2013 10:11:52 AM
Good question.

I liked MSE for my parents because it sits the background and stays quiet, like a virus scanner should do.

That site recommends Avast, would Avast work?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3Rexdragon125Posted 10/11/2013 10:13:06 AM
Yes. I've seen PCs with "Buy our antivirus to fix all these problems" fake antiviruses and weird toolbars, with MSE happily sitting there saying nothing is wrong.
#4Ch3wyPosted 10/11/2013 10:14:02 AM
Avast is pretty good. Not as quiet as MSE because MSE doesn't really do much.

Every once and a while it will be like "Hey, update this software you never use!" but other than that it's pretty unobtrusive.
---
Every time you point out that something is an opinion Jesus shoots a kitten in the face.
#5mrCubePosted 10/11/2013 10:14:40 AM
Rexdragon125 posted...
Yes. I've seen PCs with "Buy our antivirus to fix all these problems" fake antiviruses and weird toolbars, with MSE happily sitting there saying nothing is wrong.

To be fair most free AVs will let that stuff through
---
---
#6SinisterSlayPosted 10/11/2013 10:14:51 AM
Ch3wy posted...
Avast is pretty good. Not as quiet as MSE because MSE doesn't really do much.

Every once and a while it will be like "Hey, update this software you never use!" but other than that it's pretty unobtrusive.

Anything more quiet than that? Preferably updates itself?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#7mrCubePosted 10/11/2013 10:28:43 AM
Wait for Webroot to go on sale at Best Buy, get a year for like $20. I started using it because I got a year for free, it's definitely the lightest AV I've used, not intrusive or loud at all, and has an excellent detection rate.

I wouldn't pay full price for it, but the sale prices are always really good.
---
---
#8PhilOnDezPosted 10/11/2013 10:29:14 AM
mrCube posted...
Rexdragon125 posted...

To be fair most free AVs will let that stuff through

Yeah, no amount of AV protection will stop someone from downloading 20 toolbars, and I'm not sure how they work but those fake AV programs are really effective if you're unlucky/reckless enough to get one. I let a friend use my computer unsupervised for a few hours and he picked that up, it completely wiped out my AV's definitions library without just disabling the AV entirely so every scan came up clean.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#9Orestes417Posted 10/11/2013 10:29:38 AM
For most use cases, MSE is "good enough" as a stopgap.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#10xKynOxPosted 10/11/2013 10:31:55 AM
Common sense is the best antivirus.