This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft admits it's antivirus MSE isn't as good as the competitors

#41The_AntiGrimPosted 10/12/2013 3:03:49 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Good question.

I liked MSE for my parents because it sits the background and stays quiet, like a virus scanner should do.

That site recommends Avast, would Avast work?

Avast is anything but hidden and quiet
---
Sidekick to the famous DarkHero
#42mikewu1Posted 10/12/2013 3:04:50 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Worknofun370 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Smakkyoface posted...
just live in a bubble and disconnect from the internet. NO VIRUSES!

But seriously, I use MSE for my computers and never get infected. I have avast, spybot, malwarebyes all with automatic scans and updates enabled for my parents pc and it's still infested with toolbars and fake virus software whenever I come visit.

As my mom always said, there's no substitute for education.

You need more firefox.

My parents have been running firefox (3.4 for a really really long) and only recently updated to FF21, never ever had one of those tool bars or fake anti virus.

Do you know what the phrase "Small sample size" means?

Still safer with firefox.

Browsing with internet explorer is like walking around in public with your wang hanging out hoping not to be spotted.

Guess I walk around in public with my wang out everyday then
#43Tony_Biggie_PunPosted 10/12/2013 7:14:24 PM
Thats exactly why I've been telling people to use Bitdefender. It is even lighter than MSE and it's been rated to have the best protection of all the anti viruses.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Z3MIjNj.jpg
You can tell a lot about a person based on how they treat the weaker members of society.
#44Darkcloud20Posted 10/12/2013 7:16:31 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Ch3wy posted...
Avast is pretty good. Not as quiet as MSE because MSE doesn't really do much.

Every once and a while it will be like "Hey, update this software you never use!" but other than that it's pretty unobtrusive.

Anything more quiet than that? Preferably updates itself?

Avast is great for that just set it to auto update even on version updates and disable the voice and update and various notifications pop ups. That way it will only pop up on viruses.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#45Orestes417Posted 10/12/2013 7:16:58 PM
AFAIK Bitdefender also screws with the operation of some programs. I know Borderlands had issues.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#46josh_bazzellPosted 10/12/2013 7:19:59 PM
Rexdragon125 posted...
Haha, I got hit by the sasser worm.

>open up new laptop
>connect to Windows update first thing
>wtf is this shutdown countdown.

I have seen that happen literally over 100 times, its horrible.
---
My gaming rig: ASUS G73JW: I7 740qm, 8 gigs ddr3, Nvidia Geforce 460m.
I like single player games. Nothing is quite as enjoyable as playing with myself.
#47SinisterSlayPosted 10/14/2013 9:54:58 PM
Darkcloud20 posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Ch3wy posted...
Avast is pretty good. Not as quiet as MSE because MSE doesn't really do much.

Every once and a while it will be like "Hey, update this software you never use!" but other than that it's pretty unobtrusive.

Anything more quiet than that? Preferably updates itself?

Avast is great for that just set it to auto update even on version updates and disable the voice and update and various notifications pop ups. That way it will only pop up on viruses.

Thanks, I'll give it a try at work first.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#48_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/15/2013 1:35:06 AM
xKynOx posted...
Common sense is the best antivirus.

It is pretty good. But not 100% safe. There are those situations where you do not have to do anything wrong. An example was the Trojan on Razer Europpe's driver page. Or the flash exploit that plagued world of warcraft related websited and compromised user's accounts. Mind you, these were trusted websites that were generally thought of as safe for years before this happened.

Every year, I just look at the tests. Usually all the big names are very similar in detection rate and basic features. Some years there are some big shifts in which are most effective. That is when I shift antivirus.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#49runromPosted 10/15/2013 1:39:50 AM
I've had malware and viruses still come through when I've had MSE installed on my parent's computer. Generally what I've done to alleviate the chance of malware and viruses is to add myself as administrator and set their accounts to user level so that certain malware can't run. I've also installed adblocker on Chrome so that they don't click on ads that makes them install some stupid toolbar.
---
MBP 2009 | Intel i5 3570k + Powercolor 7870 Myst | HP Touchpad 32gb CM9 | MyTouch4g running 4.1
Now part of the 500 posts club.
#50GhennkinsPosted 10/15/2013 3:12:05 AM
I've tried both Avast and Avira years ago and didn't care for them. One of them just made my PC's performance worse. Been using MSE for a while now and no complaints. I wouldn't recommend relying solely on it though. I have 3 other scanners I run every now and then, but still rarely ever get any hits.

Since it sounds like they're giving up on it though.... I guess it's time to look for an alternative.