This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam Controller Demo Video

#1garyjpatersonPosted 10/11/2013 11:18:35 AM(edited)
http://youtu.be/eeAjkbNq4xI

Valve are releasing demo's of the Steam Controller, looks interesting.

Looks much more precise than a standard controller, but not quite as precise as a mouse. Probably takes a fair bit of practice too i reckon.

---
===>>> http://www.garyjpaterson.deviantart.com <<<===
#2GoIrish80Posted 10/11/2013 11:19:29 AM
Playing Civilization V from my couch with that controller?

I think it moved.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2ghz | 16GB DDR3 | Nvidia 670 2GB SLI | 1TB HD x2
#3electroflamePosted 10/11/2013 11:24:02 AM
It actually looks better than I thought. Definitely more interested in it now.
---
Could be worse, they could have been American givers and you would have been smothered in small pox. -fakenamefignuts on Indian-Giving.
Steam ID: electroflame
#4Hunter_mkPosted 10/11/2013 11:26:50 AM
look good, but probably gonna take time to get used to it
---
RIP Xbox One 2013-2013
#5CC RicersPosted 10/11/2013 11:30:50 AM
Yeah, I think it shows the benefit of having no resistance or force from joysticks. You can make quick turns and camera movements because the thumbs can slide freely on a surface.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#6SinisterSlayPosted 10/11/2013 11:31:54 AM
Them using it in that shooting game looked pathetic, he missed constantly and took forever to aim.
I suck at FPS and I still would have effortlessly cleared the rooms with a real mouse.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#7DartkunPosted 10/11/2013 11:33:21 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
Them using it in that shooting game looked pathetic, he missed constantly and took forever to aim.
I suck at FPS and I still would have effortlessly cleared the rooms with a real mouse.

It looked slow to me as well, but it might be a mix of things, probably still not perfectly acclimated to the controller, and I think he was showing accuracy instead of speed. Although he did miss 1 shot...
#8Orestes417Posted 10/11/2013 11:34:42 AM
When mongolfps or someone of similar caliber makes a montage of nailing perfect headshots with one I might take notice. Till then no controller is getting near my FPS games.
---
If they asked how I died tell them: Still angry.
#9GarquillPosted 10/11/2013 11:35:05 AM
SinisterSlay posted...

try comparing your time with a mouse compared to his time with that controller
---
backloggery.com/Garquille
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#10KillerTrufflePosted 10/11/2013 11:36:10 AM
It looks about like I figured it would, actually. Although I still don't see it making anyone competitive in RTS... scrolling around the screen and moving the cursor is still just too slow. Precision is quite good - which I expected, but speed isn't that great for long distance moves - which I also expected.

Still, it does look like it will be a superior option to a standard controller, but I wouldn't be able to say for sure on that until I actually get my own hands on it and see how it *feels* to use it, both in responsiveness and comfort.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23