This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Updated Bios on motherboard, now there's failure to start windows

#1Axl_RedPosted 10/11/2013 7:41:07 PM
I was trying to update my Asrock H61M-HVS motherboard to the latest BIOS so I could install a 3rd gen Intel CPU on it (i7-3770k). When it was completed, my computer boots up, but it receives an error when it tries to boot up windows and restarts again. The computer start-up repair program did not work. Anyone have any idea what I should do now?
#2Ep1taph303Posted 10/11/2013 7:49:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/skWhnNy.jpg
---
Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966683944/
#3k debonairPosted 10/11/2013 7:51:53 PM
set the bios to fail-safe defaults and try again.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#4Axl_Red(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 8:35:20 PM
k debonair posted...
set the bios to fail-safe defaults and try again.

I searched the manual and options, but I don't think there's a fail-safe option for my motherboard. I only saw some options to reset the UEFI options to default, which I did, and yet still, Windows 7 still won't boot up anymore. As soon as I see the Windows 7 boot screen, a blue screen pops up for a split-second, and the computer restarts. =(
#5k debonairPosted 10/11/2013 8:50:25 PM
I guess you'll have to reinstall windows then. You shouldn't need to format, but just reinstall over your current installation.
---
GameFAQs isn't going to be merged in with GameSpot or any other site. We're not going to strip out the soul of the site.
#6XiebornPosted 10/11/2013 9:03:27 PM
I updated my motherboard's bios not long ago and ran into a similar problem, don't know if it'll solve yours or not, but in the bios settings, make sure it boots to the hard drive that has Windows installed on it first.

That's assuming you have multiple hard drives(including making your SSD, IF you got one and it has windows on it instead of regular HDD).

Again, not sure if this could be the problem or not, but it kinda sounds like it to me.
---
Win8 64bit, Intel Core i5 4670k, 8gb ddr3 1600, MSI Z87 Gaming, MSI TF GeForce GTX 660
#7Axl_Red(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 5:33:20 AM
k debonair posted...
I guess you'll have to reinstall windows then. You shouldn't need to format, but just reinstall over your current installation.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's what I need to do. But I tried putting the re-installation CD, and it says I can't upgrade and keep all my files because you can only do the upgrade option if you're Windows is working fine, and you didn't boot up using the CD. Obviously I am not able to do that, because my Windows is not working fine.

Is there anyway to install Windows 7 without formatting my hard-drive? I really don't want to lose the information I have on there.
#8betatechPosted 10/12/2013 5:40:35 AM(edited)
What is the actual error?

I know when I updated my system it reset certain settings (including losing non-windows UEFI entries) so check everything.
---
Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Intel i7 3770K 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM, Ati Radeon 5770 1GB, CM 690 II. Win7 x64.
#9Axl_Red(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 6:18:41 AM
betatech posted...
What is the actual error?

I know when I updated my system it reset certain settings (including losing non-windows UEFI entries) so check everything.

Well, when I ran the start-up repair application, it said that the root cause was:

"A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting."

Booting up my computer has the Windows 7 loading screen showing briefly, then a split-second showing of a blue screen error.

When I checked the FAQ of Asrock motherboards at their site, I saw this question:

Question (Q&A-101|330): After updating the BIOS, my Intel IVY Bridge CPU and Intel 6 series chipset motherboard will get the Blue screen and can't boot into Windows 8 anymore. What should I do?(1/1/2013)
Answer:Because of the ME version update, Intel ME changes the boot behavior of Windows 8.
Please use the Windows 8 CD to repair your system.

Even though that question was for Windows 8, and an IVY Bridge CPU (which I am not using yet), that problem is very similar to the problem I'm having. I tried installing the latest Intel ME and VGA drivers, before I updated my Bios, even though those installations failed. The computer was still able to reboot correctly after failed installs of those drivers. It was only when I updated my motherboard to the latest Bios, was when I had problems booting Windows 7.

I'm theorizing that my upgrade to a latest version of Bios somehow changed the boot behavior of Windows 7, so I probably have to re-install Windows 7 using the CD.

I already tried reverting back to a previous version of my BIOS, but it did not work. Though the BIOS I reverted back into was not the BIOS i was using much before, since the Asrock motherboard site does not have the stock BIOS available for download anymore.

Right now, I'm figuring out any ways I can re-install Windows 7 without formatting my harddrive. I'd really appreciate any help I can get right now. Also, is it possible to install Windows 7 to a flashdrive and have the computer run from there?
#10MonerMonerPosted 10/12/2013 7:07:10 AM
When I updated my bios windows would only load until those four balls come ttogether to form the windows logo. I had to change the hard drive mode back to ACHI or something like that. Try changing your drive mode see if that helps.
Good luck