This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What is so bad about gaming on a laptop?

#1rumble_bellyPosted 10/11/2013 8:21:33 PM
I see people on here make fun of laptop gaming often. They say there's no such thing as a gaming laptop and stuff like that. What is so bad about gaming on a laptop? Sure its more expensive than a comparable desktop and the best desktop will always beat the best laptop, but that alone doesn't mean laptop gaming is impossible like some people claim.
#2jakisthePosted 10/11/2013 8:26:00 PM
Much less powerful
More prone to breakage
Dilutes the point of a laptop, ie, mobility

All that said, I manage to max pretty much everything on a 3 year old laptop, so the idea of "huuur no gaming laptop!" is kinda..yeah. It's just that in most cases...why not get a desktop?
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#3AmiciPosted 10/11/2013 8:29:52 PM
Because everyone assumes that just because you don't have a need for the advantages of a laptop, means gaming laptops are crap.

Sure, they are much more expensive, prone to breaking, almost never upgradeable, I agree as much. But in my line of work I rarely get home to play my games (I am almost always in the hospital). I only do so on my off hours in the hospital's callroom.
---
Pain is temporary; glory is forever.
Your friendly neighborhood gaming surgeon.
#4mizukage2Posted 10/11/2013 8:35:41 PM
The people who say it is bad never leave the cave in there basement and thus don't understand that some people travel are away from home for long periods of time or travel around a lot and a computer you can carry in a carry case is damned convenient for them even if it costs more then a desktop.
---
I mean, i never see the right bash the left on anything because the blame game causes more issues than anything-Josh
#5shdwdrgnixPosted 10/11/2013 8:36:42 PM
if something breaks, you need to send it in for repairs, while desktop only requires to replace one part that will most likely be upgraded anyways.

Thought I'll admit those Razor laptops are pretty tempting to get.
#6NicodimusPosted 10/11/2013 8:42:15 PM
-Need to worry about battery life

-Most parts are not upgradeable

-Most video cards are weaker than their desktop counterparts

-You pay about $2000 for equal or slightly worse performance than a $1000 desktop

Of course, the main attraction is that it's portable, so if you need that, you may be willing to tolerate these things.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#7DerPancakePosted 10/11/2013 8:44:24 PM
Because it gets really hot.
---
Steam/Origin: DerPancake
#8rpgianPosted 10/12/2013 12:18:15 AM
Ball cancer. It nukes em. Performance costs more. Trade off is mobility which is a great thing. Your likely not going to be hauling a tower and monitor to the pooper as you continue to check your email or watch your show.

Purism thing I guess. If gaming is you one and only god,grail, and mountain then a tower does it better. Its fully feasible to game very well along with everything else with a lappy. Never the best but good enough to not notice.

Laptops is what smartphones wish they could be. But with a 2" screen, an awful interface and all the raw power of a half depleted D cell that is something to frown upon. Oh and those nuke your brain.
#9TimePharaohPosted 10/12/2013 12:23:16 AM
Gaming on a laptop=/=gaming laptop you pleb. People say they don't exist because they don't based on the entire design.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#10blakegallowayPosted 10/12/2013 2:37:01 AM
I have never liked gaming with a touchpad. The smaller keyboard doesn't help either. A portable wireless mouse helps, but it defeats the purpose of mobility.
---
Sometimes death comes knocking.
Sometimes it tears down the walls.