This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help me PCH! You're my only hope (Computer Build Topic)

#1darktemplar20Posted 10/11/2013 9:23:53 PM
So, here's my issue. Last night I was watching me some Full Metal Alchemist on my computer, and it BSoD'ed on me. I waited for the memory dump to finish, and then restarted my machine. That's when I got the INSERT BOOT CD/DVD message, and I knew I was in trouble.

Now yes, I know I could simply re-install Windows onto another drive and reinstall all of my programs. However, my computer is five years old, so I think instead of building a new one next year when I had initially planned to, I'll just do it now.

So, here is what I ask. Build me a computer, worthy of wonderful gaming. Here are the following restrictions, if you don't mind:

My budget is between $1,500 and $1,750 (I'd prefer closer to the $1,500, but we'll see after I give you the rest of my requirements).

I'd LIKE to do SLI (or Crossfire). On that topic, I've been an nVidia person for a very long time now, and I'd like to stick with them.

I plan on getting a 256 GB SSD for some games, and reallocate the 128 GB I have now as my new boot drive (it's not the SSD that crashed on me). I was planning on getting the Samsung 840, but if you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate them.

I would also like 16 GB of RAM. And yes, I would use it. I like to do a lot of testing with virtualization, so all of the RAM will be helpful and it will not go unused.

I'm set on the KB, mouse, headset, speakers, and monitors. I would like some opinions on whether or not I should install Windows 8 or Windows 7. If I put Windows 8 on, I would probably install Classic Shell (or Classic Start?), and just use it like Windows 7 anyway.

I'm also good on hard drives. I have around 3.5 TB worth of hard drive space (not including the SSD that died on me), so that's not really a huge concern. But on that note, I would like a suitable case that would fit all of my hard drives. If it could preferably have enough space in that back for cable routing, that would be fantastic as well.

Lastly, the processor. I'm an Intel man through and through, and I want to stick with Intel. I'll likely overclock at some point, so if you would like to recommend a K processor and good aftermarket HSF, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all who reply!

TL;DR

I want someone to spec me out a computer for a budget between $1,500 and $1,750, along with some minor caveats, listed above.
---
http://steamcard.com/do/original/darktemplar20.png
#2darktemplar20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 9:36:56 PM
I did forget to mention that I'm in the US. Apologies for that.

Cheers!
---
#3ZeraphLordSPosted 10/11/2013 10:01:10 PM
I normally spit on manufacturer bias, but you haven't particularly made bad choices this generation (might be seeing a switchup soon though).
---
The best course of action is to just get the information you need, then get out while you're still alive. - destroy everything on GameFAQs
#4NicodimusPosted 10/11/2013 10:36:51 PM(edited)
Option 1: $1627 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NJzF

Option 2: $1469 http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1NJJG

Option 1 is a bit more future proof in my opinion, but hey, money is a factor too.

---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#5LoshadtPosted 10/11/2013 10:34:23 PM
Aside from wanting Xfire/SLI, it sounds like you already know stuff about computers, which begs the question: Why aren't you building it yourself?
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
Kirino is best girl.
#6mophisusPosted 10/11/2013 10:56:34 PM
for the same reason i asked for help when i built mine recently,

knowing how to build them, and being up to date on the best price/performance ratios are far different things (in my case, id been out of the loop for about 2 years)

anyway, i personally upgraded recently from a q6600, 4 gb of ddr2 to a 4670k, 8gb of ram

got the z87-a board, really nice, not a super amount of extra features that i use, but definately works, had to deal with an rma from a bad pci-e slot, but other than that im happy with the performance increase.. video card is a gtx 670,

anyway, what operating system were you using before? i only ask because you can (assuming you built your previous computer, and didnt buy it from somewhere), activate windows on the new machine (you may have to do phone activation, i did on the 2nd mobo after the rma, but im still using my copy of 7 from a few years ago now)..

might help you say a hundred bucks or so.
---
"The side effect of education should not be death by boredom and mediocrity"
#7darktemplar20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 5:58:03 AM
Thanks all for your replies, so far.

Nicodimus, many thanks for your suggestions. I might go on what mophisus said and just use my current copy of Windows. I'm pretty sure the activation key is on one of my hard drives that isn't broken, so I'll look for that and just install Windows initially using the USB key I have when I need to set new machines up at work.

What are your thoughts on getting two GTX 770's instead of the 760's? And I might be able to save a bit more money (or put it towards the higher graphics card) if I use the PSU from my current rig. It's an Antec 850W, if memory serves. I'll check when I get home.

And Loshadt, mophisus hit the nail on the head. Back when i was in college and afterwards when I wasn't working full time, I had a lot more time to stay up-to-date on all the latest and greatest, but time is no longer on my side in that regard. I most assuredly do plan on building it myself; I just wanted some current, relevant input from the board before I made any foolish decisions (I feel like SLI/XFire is up to the person in question. I agree it isn't for everyone).

Any other thoughts or suggestions from anyone else? And thanks again so far!
---
#8NicodimusPosted 10/12/2013 6:32:38 AM
Two 770s would be stronger, but will cost $780 for the 2GB version or $880 for the 4GB version. It's really up to you if you're willing to drop that kind of money. Two 760s already outperform a Titan, so either way I think you'd be happy.
---
Intel i5 4670K | Corsair 16GB DDR3 | Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB | ASUS 27" 1440p
Corsair 480GB SSD | WD 4TB HDD | Fractal Design R4 | Corsair 750MX | Win7Ult 64
#9darktemplar20(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 7:45:55 AM
Ahh, that's what I was looking for. I just wanted to have some comparison to one of the single higher end cards.

Thanks very much for that. Now I need to do my price comparison and see if it's worth paying a little extra to get everything from Amazon...
---