This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Just installed my SSD and Windows 8

#1DinglesteedPosted 10/11/2013 9:21:40 PM
I decided to just back up my music and saved games and completely redo both my Windows install and reformat my HDD (I only had 150g left out of a tb) so here I am! Fresh new OS install and only the GPU driver and steam installed. I figured out how to select where to install games to via steam but is there any other things I should know? I have installed all drivers to the SSD because it seemed like the smart thing to do. What are the main programs I should have on my SSD vs the HDD? Any information is appreciated. Thanks!

I have the Samsung Evo 120gb SSD if that matters. HDD is a 1tb WD Caviar I believe.
---
Playing: Dragon's Crown, MLB the Show 13, Pikmin 3, Project X Zone, ETS2
3DS FC: 2191-7639-5571
#2CaspernomnomPosted 10/11/2013 9:24:46 PM
I just install all programs onto my SSD and everything else in my HDD's
---
http://puu.sh/4HpaQ Steam ID : Caspernomnom
#3Dinglesteed(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 9:27:30 PM
Caspernomnom posted...
I just install all programs onto my SSD and everything else in my HDD's

I don't quite think my 120gb SSD is big enough to hold all the games I play lol. I am only going to install the important games into the SSD, such as BF3/4, Euro Truck Sim 2, and apparently Minecraft benefits from a SSD.

I am more curious about drivers and whatnot going to SSD or the regular drive.
---
#4SpacewhizguyPosted 10/11/2013 10:08:46 PM
Every single driver and all your non-gaming applications should go in the SSD. Every single one.
---
What's a sig?
#5Dinglesteed(Topic Creator)Posted 10/11/2013 10:22:18 PM
Spacewhizguy posted...
Every single driver and all your non-gaming applications should go in the SSD. Every single one.

Figured so. Thanks much!
---
#6DoramiPosted 10/12/2013 4:44:46 AM
I would recommend moving your user folder to the HDD if you haven't already done so.

A lot of games seem to make enormous files/folders in there, regardless of where you install the game.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#7Dinglesteed(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 8:07:57 AM
Dorami posted...
I would recommend moving your user folder to the HDD if you haven't already done so.

A lot of games seem to make enormous files/folders in there, regardless of where you install the game.

As in, my specific user folder (Eric in this case) or the entire "Users" folder?
---
#8DoramiPosted 10/12/2013 9:23:01 AM
I would say the entire "Users" folder.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html

Also, you may want to install Steam and other such clients on the HDD instead of the SSD. The clients themselves are fairly light, so you are not losing too much by having them on the HDD. Supposedly there are some games that will install large amounts of data in the Steam folder instead of the game folder.
---
"...Ashley takes on Lord Blazer alone in a white cape with flowing rockstar hair while playing his impossibly cool sword as a guitar..." - LBoksha
#9NicoC96Posted 10/12/2013 9:30:35 AM
Dorami posted...
Also, you may want to install Steam and other such clients on the HDD instead of the SSD. The clients themselves are fairly light, so you are not losing too much by having them on the HDD. Supposedly there are some games that will install large amounts of data in the Steam folder instead of the game folder.

I just redid my friend's computer who has a typical SSD and HDD setup. Steam has allowed you to put the separate steamapps folder on a separate drive. So say you want something like Skyrim on the SSD, but not your other stuff. You install/copy the Skyrim folder to the SSD's steamapps folder, which resides in the normal Steam folder. The rest of your games can be installed to a separate SteamLibrary (I think that's what it's called) folder that you can put anywhere.
#10Rexdragon125Posted 10/12/2013 9:34:19 AM
How fast does it boot up for you, TC? Windows 8 boots up in like 2 seconds of me pushing the power button on my mechanical drive. :D