This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't mind piracy so much as the rationalization of the behavior by pirates.

#131Ranma006Posted 10/12/2013 12:19:26 PM
There are a lot of reasons people pirate. I think part of the reason most people are missing is because there is not a service that fills a need. Think about how music started when Napster and other such severs came out. Napster came out in 1993 the industry was dragging its feet and did not fit the need of the consumer. I remind you ITunes did not come out untill 2003. Before Steam I pirated my PC games quite a bit because I simply wanted to have digital distribution on my computer. Now that steam is around and popular now most if not all of my games are not bought legally.

I think not having demos is also harmful if I am unsure about a game I will sometimes pirate it and if I end up liking it I think I should support the developer and buy the game. Example Skyrim, I never played any of the other elder scrolls game and was unsure it was something I would like. I love it then soon after bought the game on steam.

Other times people would just never have played the game if were unable to buy it. People are not going to have the money to play all these games that pirates have download so there is really no lost money there.

I think in the end the developer has to be able to offer more convenience and features to nudge people back to the legal route of buying products. Once you have a legal system that is faster and easier and quicker and safer to use then the pirates have more people will pay for it. This is why a lot of people buy music from Itunes you can find what you want and you don't have to worry about virus or quality of music.

Company need to stop telling us what we want and listen to the consumer and not drag their feet on every new technology.
---
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K; Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB; MOBO: Asus P8P67 (Rev. 3.0); GPU: MSI GTX 670
#132sortajanPosted 10/12/2013 12:23:25 PM
i pirate cargo ships that are unfortunate enough to pass by my glorious vessel
---
"Glory... to the Many... I am a voice in their choir."
#133clschneider1990Posted 10/12/2013 12:26:57 PM
sortajan posted...
i pirate cargo ships that are unfortunate enough to pass by my glorious vessel

What model cannon do you use?

I am currently using the OMG3480 E but am thinking of upgrading to the H739O11L8840Y soon

have you any comments on the new model? I am currently at a stalemate and my crew is getting ancy about the lack of giant explosions around here
---
GT:EchoesOfMercy
#134wheresatariPosted 10/12/2013 12:33:29 PM
This is easy. This is a good old fashioned black and white subject with no gray areas. If you take something that costs money without paying for it, it's thievery. Plain and simple. If I walk into a store and take a candy bar, book, etc without paying for it, I will be arrested for stealing. It's exactly the same thing, no matter how you spin it.
---
I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no man comes to the Father except by Me.
-The Lord Jesus Christ. John 14 verse 6.
#135GoldninjaPosted 10/12/2013 12:48:03 PM
Yo Ho Yo Ho

I needs me some rum
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
http://tinyurl.com/ptxe9sf - River City Ransom Underground Kickstarter!
#136runromPosted 10/12/2013 12:50:54 PM
I remember when used to hate products by not buying them. Nowadays, you get kids who hate products, but still pirate them, thereby defeating the purpose of why the hated it in the first place.
---
MBP 2009 | Intel i5 3570k + Powercolor 7870 Myst | HP Touchpad 32gb CM9 | MyTouch4g running 4.1
Now part of the 500 posts club.
#137warior55Posted 10/12/2013 12:51:27 PM
TC provides a rational argument, he gets flamed by people saying "lol u mad bro?".

I f***ing hate gamefaqs.
#138the_key_24Posted 10/12/2013 1:05:42 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#139RiderGreenPosted 10/12/2013 1:05:43 PM
Ranma006 posted...
There are a lot of reasons people pirate. I think part of the reason most people are missing is because there is not a service that fills a need. Think about how music started when Napster and other such severs came out. Napster came out in 1993 the industry was dragging its feet and did not fit the need of the consumer. I remind you ITunes did not come out untill 2003. Before Steam I pirated my PC games quite a bit because I simply wanted to have digital distribution on my computer. Now that steam is around and popular now most if not all of my games are not bought legally.

I think not having demos is also harmful if I am unsure about a game I will sometimes pirate it and if I end up liking it I think I should support the developer and buy the game. Example Skyrim, I never played any of the other elder scrolls game and was unsure it was something I would like. I love it then soon after bought the game on steam.

Other times people would just never have played the game if were unable to buy it. People are not going to have the money to play all these games that pirates have download so there is really no lost money there.

I think in the end the developer has to be able to offer more convenience and features to nudge people back to the legal route of buying products. Once you have a legal system that is faster and easier and quicker and safer to use then the pirates have more people will pay for it. This is why a lot of people buy music from Itunes you can find what you want and you don't have to worry about virus or quality of music.

Company need to stop telling us what we want and listen to the consumer and not drag their feet on every new technology.

It's funny, but the people who give good logical reasons for pirating always sound smarter than those who just go around and scream "Waaah! Pirates are bad! You're a bad person!" By the way, I love who ever it is who announces that they've put some one on the ignore list. Look at you on your high horse. "I want everyone to know I'm superior and I'm ignoring you."
#140BendoHendo(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 1:10:45 PM
djprofessork1 posted...
You realize like, 90% of piracy happens in third-world countries and poor places where yes, they probably wouldnt buy the games to begin with because they cant afford them.

Citation needed.

--