This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't mind piracy so much as the rationalization of the behavior by pirates.

#191thirdbeast77Posted 10/13/2013 11:36:52 AM
Tyranius2 posted...
When you steal something, the person you stole it from no longer has what you took

Nowhere in the definition of steal says anything about the owner not having what you took: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/steal

When you pirate you make a copy. Then you're taking that copy, which does not belong to you. Meaning: you stole it.

The courts have distinguished a difference between the two.

So? Laws are made up by a bunch of pretentious old men playing at running the world. Their opinions are not facts.

my god man take your own pills.
#192thirdbeast77Posted 10/13/2013 11:42:59 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#193BlueRamzaPosted 10/13/2013 12:33:04 PM
Piracy is a disease, it's the main reason why a lot of games never make it on to the PC. It should stop, but people don't care, so the cycle continues and normal honest people lose out.
---
Snake: There's no happiness found in death, no peace either; I'm leaving here alive, because a strong man doesn't need to read the future, he makes his own.
#194thirdbeast77Posted 10/13/2013 12:50:40 PM
BlueRamza posted...
Piracy is a disease, it's the main reason why a lot of games never make it on to the PC. It should stop, but people don't care, so the cycle continues and normal honest people lose out.

piracy is a result of a deeper problem. how bout we fix that before we worry about piracy
#195-CJF-Posted 10/13/2013 1:04:49 PM
I doubt very much that piracy is the "main reason" why a lot of games don't get released on PC. The fact is, PC gaming is still a niche market compared to how many people game on consoles. There are so many ways to get cheap and free games legally for the PC that you really don't even need to pirate anymore.

Just this week, GMG was giving you your choice of Civilization V or Mafia II just for spending 5 minutes of your time to vote in the Golden Joystick Awards. There are tons of $1 bundles such as Humble Bundle and Bundle Stars where you can get games for less than $0.50 each. There are also frequent steam sales and free weekends so people can try out games to see if they would be interested before they buy.

Keep in mind, it's not so easy to port a game from console architecture to PC, and it requires a lot of work and money. While games are programmed and designed on PCs, they aren't programmed for the PC architecture. Publishers and developers are not going to spend the kind of money required to port the game to the PC architecture unless the game did very well on consoles. Even then, there are reasons why some exclusives cannot be ported such as licensing issues.
#196TimePharaohPosted 10/13/2013 5:29:58 PM
Revenanced posted...
-CJF- posted...
Piracy is not stealing, it's copyright infringement. Downloading a digital file is not the same thing as stealing $100 worth of tangible goods.

Seems like a justification to me, no matter how it's dressed up. Note, you really only find attitudes like this towards games with PC gamers. Much more difficult to pirate games on consoles. It's a stereotype but it's soooo true and there's no denying it.

Stating a fact=/=justifying something. If I say calling someone stupid isn't murder are you going to say that I'm justifying murder?

And how is it more difficult to pirate games on consoles? I can get literally any game ever released on any console in one place, right this minute. Demhardz. And it's actually easier to make a pirated copy too considering no time has to be wasted cracking it.
---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#197Yargitsu99zPosted 10/14/2013 6:10:47 AM
BendoHendo posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
BendoHendo posted...
Bellum_Sacrum posted...
You just violated every US video game/movie/music industry law in the universe. Increasing profits by making a product that is actually good? Are you mad?

This is a stupid argument and I already pointed out why. Do you really believe that there is this mythical game that is of such high quality that people would not pirate it? The highest quality games get pirated the most!

Just look on that pirating website that shall not be named - AAA games that are "games of the year" get pirated the most. Thousands of seeders.

So it's BS to say that it's the dev's fault for not making a better product - pirates will pirate regardless.

AAA GOTYs are good games now? Do you breathe on your own or do you have someone rhythmically applying pressure on your chest?

People who use straw men arguments wind up on my ignored list, champ.

I said AAA games that are "games of the year"

You will be joining the list of other users who lack the reading comprehension to argue coherently with me.

--

I'm sick of the words "AAA" and even more so when it's used completely improperly "strawman"

"AAA" is a corporate buzzword; stop being their slave.

"Strawman"" refers to comparison that makes the compared argument seem ridiculous, irrelevant, or illogical; e.g. "Pirating games is somewhat like killing a baby; it prevents the victim from reaching it's potential" etc, etc.
---
[Expletive deleted at request of Gamefaqs]
www.twitch.tv/shalashaska824
#198MaxCHEATER64Posted 10/14/2013 6:17:07 AM
Yargitsu99z posted...
"Strawman"" refers to comparison that makes the compared argument seem ridiculous, irrelevant, or illogical; e.g. "Pirating games is somewhat like killing a baby; it prevents the victim from reaching it's potential" etc, etc.

No, that's Argumentum ad Absurdum. Strawman is when you attack an argument that they didn't make, or pick out one of someone's talking points and address it as if it was their whole argument.
---
i5-3570K | HD 7850 | Z77-D3H | 700W | Intel 550 180GB | Seagate Barracuda 1T
http://i.imgur.com/xUwa3va.png
#199Bellum_SacrumPosted 10/14/2013 6:38:25 AM
MaxCHEATER64 posted...
No, that's Argumentum ad Absurdum. Strawman is when you attack an argument that they didn't make, or pick out one of someone's talking points and address it as if it was their whole argument.

Strawman is very similar to ad absurdum in the sense that in strawmen, you fabricate an argument, while in ad absurdum you fabricate the consequences of said argument.

Still that doesn't stop youtubers, redditors and other shameful facets of humanity from calling out a strawman argument whenever they have no argument to make. In fact calling out a strawman is most often a strawman itself.

Strawman is the new "in" word, after "hipster" and "elitist".
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#200G1ANT_SQU1DPosted 10/14/2013 9:44:52 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]