This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Computer boots to black screen, hit reset button, boots normally

#1bluemooglePosted 10/12/2013 8:30:19 AM
I've been having this problem for a while, and I am running out of ideas of what could be going wrong.

Rather consistently, whenever I turn on my computer, it boots straight to a black screen and sits there indefinitely. As soon as I hit the reset button, it boots normally to Windows without issue, and I can use the computer without any problems.

When it first boots, my keyboard's backlight turns on, but the numlock key does not (which, under a normal boot, the bios turns it on). This suggests to me that there is a problem with the motherboard or bios, but I've tried everything short of messing with the CMOS. Used default settings, used several permutations of different settings, updating the bios, etc. No dice.

Rather bizarrely, it boots normally on the first try about 1/20 times, and seems to most consistently work if I have nothing plugged into the front audio. Also, using the sleep/hibernate function in Windows does not work, and as best as I can tell, I started having this problem right after first trying them.

Any thoughts?

Specs:
i7-4770k
Gigabyte z87-ud4h
Radeon 7990
Corsair h80i
G.skill 16gb
Samsung 840 SSD
850w gold
Windows 8
---
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
#2bluemoogle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/14/2013 6:46:05 PM
bump
---
#3mrCubePosted 10/14/2013 7:19:54 PM
These problems are usually pretty hard to pin down but in my experience it's usually the video card. Does your motherboard have a POST code LCD readout on it?
---
---
#4megamanfreakXDPosted 10/14/2013 8:16:08 PM
Did you plug in the front header ports properly?
---
|Corsair 500R|ASUS GTX 570|i5-2500K 3.30GHz|G-Skill 8GB 1600 DDR3|Samsung SSD PRO 256GB|Antec 750W PSU|ASUS P8P67 PRO|CM HYPER 212+|
#5bluemoogle(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 5:01:13 PM
megamanfreakXD posted...
Did you plug in the front header ports properly?

Goood idea. I just quick double checked, they look good. I'm starting to think the headphones being plugged in (or not) are just a coincidence.

mrCube posted...
These problems are usually pretty hard to pin down but in my experience it's usually the video card. Does your motherboard have a POST code LCD readout on it?

I didn't even think to look there, thanks for suggesting this! This seems to have gotten me some progress. These are just my results from playing around this afternoon. Hopefully it sticks.

1. On my first boot today, it hanged on "CPU DXE initialization." Like before, pressing the reset button fixed this and allowed a full boot to Windows. I did a quick google search on this error and someone else had a similar problem with the same RAM company (G.skill), and they suggested swapping the RAM around. (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/336587-31-motherboard-stuck-error-code-stands-initialized#)

2. I swapped the RAM from slots 2/4 to 1/3. Tried booting, hanged on "PCI device resource allocation," which could be due to the video card (as you suggested), or maybe the RAM again?

3. Took out both sticks, stuck only one stick in far slot. It actually booted to Windows without hanging!...but it ran through the LCD numbers 3-4 times, like it was rapidly booting and rebooting, before finally going into Windows.

4. Stuck the second stick back in, booted without hanging again!...but... again, it ran through the LCD numbers 3-4 times.

If it continues to boot this way, I'd be fine with it. Probably something ominous with the RAM going on, but on my side, it's only delaying the boot by a couple of seconds for it run through the cycle. Certainly less of a pain than booting and manually resetting it myself. But, I think I have some leads here. Any thoughts?
---