This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Could Windows be misreading my actual hard drive space remaining?

#1iCuriousPosted 10/12/2013 10:26:19 AM
I've been down to less than 100GB on my 1TB hard drive for a while. Since I'm presently at 38.4, I decided to consider deleting some things. I went to uninstall programs, when I found that a program I grabbed a long time ago but never used, DAZ3D, is supposedly taking up 588GB.

Googling, this specific number seems to have happened to other people besides myself. One person even said that it claimed that the program was taking up 588GB when the drive was only 300ish in size. My question is, is this just a misread in Add/Remove programs, or will I see my displayed space jump by 588GB all of a sudden if I remove this?

I ask because I got it for free when they were offering. Since in reality it seems it's only taking up 200mb or so, seems it would be a shame to remove it only for no real or imagined benefit even.

tl;dr: If Add/Remove programs makes an error in calculating the space something is taking up, will that same error persist on the My Computer screen that shows my hard drive space?
---
? ? ?
#2ShubPosted 10/12/2013 10:27:01 AM
Run something like TreeSize Free to get an accurate count of what's using your hard drive space.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3iCurious(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 10:44:37 AM
Shub posted...
Run something like TreeSize Free to get an accurate count of what's using your hard drive space.

Thanks, I actually meant to ask about a program like this. Seems DAZ3D is not the issue though. Steam alone is taking up 410gb. I seriously need to complete and uninstall some games ASAP.
---
? ? ?
#4Davel23Posted 10/12/2013 11:13:17 AM
The "size" reading in the Programs applet has never been accurate. Use TreeSize as Shub suggested, or my preference, WinDirStat.
---
Your mom's box.
#5SteamsterPosted 10/12/2013 11:19:18 AM
iCurious posted...
Steam alone is taking up 410gb. I seriously need to complete and uninstall some games ASAP.

So what you mean to say is you need to shop for an additional HDD
#6iCurious(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 11:21:36 AM
Davel23 posted...
The "size" reading in the Programs applet has never been accurate. Use TreeSize as Shub suggested, or my preference, WinDirStat.

Will take a look into that. I like this first program, but couldn't hurt to try out another if it's perhaps better. Already managed to get myself back to 60gb just deleting misc stuff I'd forgotten.

Steamster posted...
iCurious posted...
Steam alone is taking up 410gb. I seriously need to complete and uninstall some games ASAP.

So what you mean to say is you need to shop for an additional HDD

Yep, you're absolutely correct. But first I need to shop for a job. I'd sooner spend my existing funds buying more games >_> lol. Of course, I have like a bajillion games now due to Humble Bundle that I haven't even activated yet. Hell, I don't even know what games I have there anymore. Time to go discover.
---
? ? ?