This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How are the bioshock games on PC?

#41Darkcloud20Posted 10/12/2013 8:33:33 PM
Devil_wings00 posted...
Can't speak for the second but the first is a pretty bad port. Have to do quite a bit to get that one running the way it should. Check out PC gaming Wiki to see what I mean. I personally had resolution problems, BS POV, and I didn't even have audio without applying a fix. It was a horrible experience for me.

The POV thing doesn't make it worse than the console version because it is equal to it and it can be changed in the ini. Can't say anything about resolution problems because I could set it fine. The audio thing is because of its release time. Microsoft changed some stuff in the audio mixing in windows Vista and this created a lot of problems with games released before it or shortely after if they had Dolby sound.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#42ZeroRaiderPosted 10/12/2013 9:33:50 PM
Darkcloud20 posted...

Since the PC version of RE4 seems to be based on the PS2 version this doesn't fix the missing lighting effects (the 1.1 patch seems claims to fix some lighnting erros but I'm not sure if that means all, also the PS2 version has a lot less geometry detail so if it is based on that....). So the Wii version on Dolphin should be much better.

With the mods mentioned it exceeds the lighting effects of the GameCube version.

And the minute you have to bring up emulation for a comparison to the console version you've lost the argument.

Once something is emulated it ceases to be the console version. All emulated console games are PC games. The Wii version when played on the Wii hardware is inferior to the original PC version. The Wii version when played on the PC (which, as it is being emulated, now counts as one of the PC versions) might be superior to the original PC version.

tl;dr you're comparing PC to PC.
#43JKatarnPosted 10/14/2013 9:26:13 AM
ZeroRaider posted...
The_AntiGrim posted...
ZeroRaider posted...
The_AntiGrim posted...
ZeroRaider posted...
BioShock 2 does have controller support. But anyways,

Why do people ask this question all the time?

There is no such thing as a PC version that is inferior to the console version.

"How is 'X' game on PC?"

THE BEST EXPERIENCE YOU'RE GOING TO GET FOR 'X' GAME. END OF DISCUSSION.

Seems you've never played Saints Row 2 on PC

Actually, it seems that I have. And I've played it on the consoles. And the PC version wins, hands down.

What would I rather play: a horribly optimized game that still manages to get 50+ FPS on my PC, runs at 1080p, has anti-aliasing, better draw distances and mods...

OR

An optimized game but because it's locked to such crappy old weak hardware it runs at 720p, has no anti-aliasing, struggles to hold a framerate of 30, has a terrible draw distance and no mods.

My PC has 120x the amount of GFLOPs that a Xbox 360 has. It can power through even the most unoptimized of console ports like Saints Row 2. There is no such thing as a console port running on a PC that is inferior to the original console version. An optimized game running on a 77 GFLOPs machine vs. an unoptimized game running on a 9,000+ GFLOPs machine. It's obvious which one will win, every time.

Clearly you haven't played Saints Row 2 on PC

I'm sorry that your PC is made out of cardboard and is apparently too weak to power through Saints Row 2's horrible optimization. But yes, I do own Saints Row 2 on PC and have finished it using the Gentlemen of the Row Mod (it fixes most of the bugs).

My SLI'd GTX 780s easily chew past its poor optimization and run the game better than the console versions, without a doubt.

If you're too incompetent to look up the game on PCGamingWiki to learn how to correct its flaws then that's your problem. But don't try and claim that the PC version is somehow inferior to the console versions.

LOL, so let me get this straight - your argument is that there are no problems with the port because it runs fine on your 2 780's....troll here much? Also, aside from performance there are plenty of visual bugs (mostly affecting cutscenes) like characters moving through objects, objects floating near, but not in characters hands etc. Try a little harder next time.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#44JKatarnPosted 10/14/2013 9:27:54 AM
The_AntiGrim posted...
ZeroRaider posted...
The_AntiGrim posted...

The console version was far superior to the PC version.

I'm sorry that... Actually, I'm just sorry for your parents, really. That's all I feel bad about. They have my condolences.

Hmm, yeah, at first I thought you were just a console peasant who just got mommy and daddy to buy them Baby's First Pre-built Dell with low-end 2010 GPU... but nope.

Troll confirmed; ignore.

Are you bored or something?

Bored, socially isolated, frustrated, surrounded by pizza boxes and monster energy drink cans (probably all of the above).
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#45sonicteam2k1Posted 10/14/2013 9:58:57 AM
Sergei_Dukanov posted...
look great, play well, but bioshock 2 doesnt have native controller support. Had to use a lame mouse and keyboard....

well you should be happy because controller support has been patched in.

TC, they're awesome games iMO.
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#46ZeroRaiderPosted 10/14/2013 2:08:22 PM
JKatarn posted...

LOL, so let me get this straight - your argument is that there are no problems with the port because it runs fine on your 2 780's....troll here much? Also, aside from performance there are plenty of visual bugs (mostly affecting cutscenes) like characters moving through objects, objects floating near, but not in characters hands etc. Try a little harder next time.

No. My argument is that whilst there are problems with the PC port - that does not mean that is inferior to the console version. Because I guarantee you my SLI'd GTX 780s run the PC version of Saints Row 2 better than an Xbox 360 runs the Xbox 360 version of Saints Row 2. Most of the other bugs have been corrected with mods.

I have no problem with people calling out games that are not up to typical PC standards - but to say that they are inferior to the console version is laughable. Even the worst console-to-PC port is still better on the PC than it is on a console.

At the end of the day, even a terrible port can be modded and fixed, and played at higher resolutions, framerates, have AA forced, etc, while the console version will be utterly broken, locked @ 720p, sub-30 FPS, no AA to speak of forever.
#47_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/14/2013 5:19:33 PM
Just finished infinite. Look great, run well, but the gameplay is pretty boring. One of the problems in infinite is that it feels as though the game is balanced for console. Meaning that I could use the "hand cannon" and "carbine" to headshot and kill everything before it had any real chance of killing me for the entire game.

I also thought it was incredibly short. I walked around and explored where I could, and it still took me only 12 hours.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#48JudgmenlPosted 10/14/2013 5:21:59 PM
iCurious posted...
The first was great. The second...well I'm sure it's no worse than console. To this day I can't put my finger on the reason that I didn't enjoy Bioshock 2 (or ever finish it). Seemed so all around improved over the first, and yet I was bored out of my mind. Oh well.

Basically this.
---
http://i.imgur.com/sUtdyzN.png - Popularity =/= Quality.
http://puu.sh/4AoGC.png - Opinions =/= Truth.
#49The cranky hermitPosted 10/16/2013 9:33:37 PM
With the mods mentioned it exceeds the lighting effects of the GameCube version.

Screenshots from the ENB mod look terrible - it isn't restoring the lost Gamecube lighting effects. It's over-saturating the inferior PS2 lighting effects.

Can the ENB mod fix this scene, for instance?
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/Resident+Evil+4+Ultimate+OCD+Edition

I very much doubt it. Just as I very much doubt that mods can restore the missing geometry detail.

That said, it's perfectly reasonable to think of the Wii version emulated in Dolphin as another PC version of the game, and it blows away any other version, native PC included. All the PS2 content, all the GCN graphical detail, and renderable at any resolution in true widescreen like the PC version. And it even plays pretty well with a mouse and keyboard.
---
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!
#50SythisTaruPosted 10/16/2013 10:10:33 PM
Keyeszx posted...
Sergei_Dukanov posted...
look great, play well, but bioshock 2 doesnt have native controller support. Had to use a lame mouse and keyboard....

Never understood why people would purposely make their experience worst with controller.

Keyboard is just not as immersive. It's all about variable movement speed. If I push lightly on the joystick, I walk slowly, the harder I push, the faster the character starts moving up until his max speed. On keyboard you instantly jump to max speed. It sounds like a small thing, but it really impact immersion. Also, rumble is nice.