This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

gabe claims win8 kill pc gaming but valve is going to kill it

#1chrcolPosted 10/12/2013 10:29:16 AM
still cant get my head around this silly steambox.

typical pc gamer use mouse, keyboard or gamepad depending on game.

I have never heard of a pc gamer saying they want to play on the sofa in a big living room.

windows 8 is not a walled garden, it still has desktop apps.

windows 8 doesnt even have 10% of the market.

windows 7 is not end of life for nearly a decade.

in short citing a walled windows 8 as a reason to make the steamos and steambox isnt valid, there is another reason I am sure of it.

Are steam sales dropping, is steam struggling on the pc, why arent they happy selling to windows pc customers?

PC hardware sales arent relevant, they dropping due to casual users not needing to have a pc to use twitter, email anymore. Gamers arent selling pc's just that a certian part of the market (non gamers) no longer need a pc, or their existing pc doesnt need upgrading as now days modern pcs are too powerful for basic tasks.

So I am confused as to why gabe/valve are putting all their effort into this and we know the what they want the end result to be, games native run on linux meaning those of us invested in windows pc's are screwed over when we were lotal customers to steam.

He trashing what was a unique good point of pc's very long BC, but now the underlying OS is been changed.
#2steveboblarryPosted 10/12/2013 10:30:26 AM
THE END IS NIGH MY BROTHERS WE MUST ABANDON PC GAMING AND SWITCH TO CONSOLES!!!!!
---
#3Rexdragon125Posted 10/12/2013 10:31:30 AM(edited)
I guess irrationally hating on Windows 8 is the cool thing to do, but Gabe just went insane with it.
#4KaiRyusakiPosted 10/12/2013 10:32:23 AM
Gabe: Windows 8 is bad cause it has a store built in!
I'm gonna go make my own OS that has MY store built in

Valvedrones: GENIUS! WE LOVE YOU GABEN-KUN KAWAII UGUU~~
#5SteamsterPosted 10/12/2013 10:34:22 AM
If Valve wants to try new things, they can try new things. You can't just baby them forever. You have to let them be themselves.
#6The__QPosted 10/12/2013 10:35:11 AM
There is no such thing as a "Steam Box" what exactly is TC referring to? Can someone clear this up?
#7SteamsterPosted 10/12/2013 10:38:07 AM
The__Q posted...
There is no such thing as a "Steam Box" what exactly is TC referring to? Can someone clear this up?

I know you're playing dumb and all, but meh

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/
#8lionheart5656Posted 10/12/2013 10:40:41 AM
You have no idea what you're talking about or what Microsoft is about and how it runs if you think that Windows 8 isn't a sign of where they intend to go.

Microsoft's motto has always been "create need by blocking out competitors" since the day Microsoft was created.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#9Rexdragon125Posted 10/12/2013 10:45:20 AM
lol Microsoft isn't going to wall off their OS anytime soon. Their biggest strength is their massive backward compatibility and they know it.
#10The__QPosted 10/12/2013 10:48:21 AM
Steamster posted...
The__Q posted...

I know you're playing dumb and all, but meh

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

That is a Steam Machine it even strictly says so in the link you gave me. I am aware of the Steam Machines, I am wondering what the Steam Box is that TC referred to.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks!!