This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

gabe claims win8 kill pc gaming but valve is going to kill it

#21JKatarnPosted 10/12/2013 2:14:17 PM
MangorushXIII posted...
Well, as long Microsoft is slowly killing PC gaming, I welcome it actually. We need to get the majority of PC gamers to convert and switch to consoles and handheld, they have no idea how many great exclusive games they're missing out on. Too bad Valve won't able to save it though, they can try but it won't make too much of a difference really. Either way I support what Microsoft is doing since tablet and smart phones are replacing PC anyways so PC gaming is heading to it's death sooner or later.

ITP: It's impossible to own a gaming PC as well as a console(s).
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#22xanthan1Posted 10/12/2013 2:43:42 PM(edited)
MangorushXIII posted...
Well, as long Microsoft is slowly killing PC gaming, I welcome it actually. We need to get the majority of PC gamers to convert and switch to consoles and handheld, they have no idea how many great exclusive games they're missing out on. Too bad Valve won't able to save it though, they can try but it won't make too much of a difference really. Either way I support what Microsoft is doing since tablet and smart phones are replacing PC anyways so PC gaming is heading to it's death sooner or later.

Please note this man does not understand the difference between PCs used for business and PCs used for gaming and thinks one dieing out means crap for the other.

Ignore him.

Edit
You do get that just means he an ass, right? You have terrible friends.
VVVV
#23steveboblarryPosted 10/12/2013 2:42:28 PM
xanthan1 posted...
MangorushXIII posted...

Please note this man does not understand the difference between PCs used for business and PCs used for gaming and thinks one dieing out means crap for the other.

Ignore him.

He isnt serious Mang just likes to troll to be funny he games on steam alot, I have him as a friend
---
#24chrcol(Topic Creator)Posted 10/17/2013 8:02:19 AM
MangorushXIII posted...

funny I see it the other way.

I see it as consoles are been replaced by touch devices.

What many think (wrongly) is that pc's are eventually going to hit 0 as they look at sales figures and think wow the pc is dead. They are completly wrong, all thats happened is a couple of things.

1 - pcs are now powerful enough that people dont need to upgrade them on any kind of regular basis, especially when they only used for basic tasks.
2 - people that used pc's just for things like social networking are the sort of people moving to touch devices as a replacement, although as mentioned on point #1 its not necessarily a replacement, most households I know still own at least one pc. However whats common is everyone in that household tends to own their own phone so thats another explanation for sales figures.

If we talk about games this is how I see it.

Consoles are starting to move to been primarily about FPS and sports games, other genres on consoles are dieing out. Or rather been squeezed out. There is a few reasons, one reason is its now very expensive to make AAA console games. Another is cost to play these games. A few people including me are predicting consoles will die this generation there will not be a gen after ps4/xbox1. More and more people move to touch devices as games are so much cheaper plus eventually those devices will be capable of connecting to a large screen and controller and essentially will become consoles.

PC games that are popular are genres that you dont usually see so much on consoles, and if you do they play better on a pc. RTS games, FPS games (also on console but are better experience on pc), strategy games, also in particular the indie scene is thriving on the pc due to the low cost of entry. It is possible in the example I gave above if it ever becomes possible or attach a keyboard and mouse to a touch device, they could at that point replace pc's but I forsee consoles falling fould first before pc's as pc's are generally also multi purpose so will have a longer shelf life. Also pc's get better as time advances meaning they are likely to stay ahead of touch devices on raw capabilities, whilst touch devices WILL catch up with ps4/xbox1. There is companies surviving solely on the pc market such as blizzard.

I also still see it as gabe doing more damage than microsoft at the moment, microsoft havent removed the desktop, they havent removed directx. From where i sit it looks more like gabe wants control of the OS the games are on giving him more power and profit opportunities. Plus steam is more closed and strict than most app sotres I have used, eg. on play store if you buy an app and it doesnt work its one touch to get a refund, meanwhile I have been arguing with steam for 2 weeks to get a refund for godus which wont even launch on my rig. I am about to send a letter via my solicitor to them.
#25airfoemoePosted 10/17/2013 8:09:45 AM
They're trying to expand beyond the typical PC gamer. Also, all previous control methods are still available.

Basically they're taking a risk to get their userbase to increase. I usually only see about 4-6 million users online Steam at a time and I'm sure they want to increase that meet the numbers Xbox Live and PSN get.
#26Kosba_2142Posted 10/17/2013 8:11:45 AM
Steamster posted...
The__Q posted...
There is no such thing as a "Steam Box" what exactly is TC referring to? Can someone clear this up?

I know you're playing dumb and all, but meh

http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamMachines/

He's not playing at all.
---
CATS. That's about it honestly...
#27Lonestar2000Posted 10/17/2013 8:16:23 AM
MangorushXIII posted...

LOL @ the poor pleb who can't afford both a PC and consoles.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#28Lonestar2000Posted 10/17/2013 8:18:28 AM
Also, Steam Machines will fail unless they are around the prices of consoles and even then they are going to be hurting due to using Linux.
---
Rumble Roses. Someone enters the room.
Them: O_O Me: What?! I always play games without my pants on!- Inmate 922335
#29DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/17/2013 8:22:02 AM
chrcol posted...
still cant get my head around this silly steambox.

typical pc gamer use mouse, keyboard or gamepad depending on game.

I have never heard of a pc gamer saying they want to play on the sofa in a big living room.

windows 8 is not a walled garden, it still has desktop apps.

windows 8 doesnt even have 10% of the market.

windows 7 is not end of life for nearly a decade.

in short citing a walled windows 8 as a reason to make the steamos and steambox isnt valid, there is another reason I am sure of it.

Are steam sales dropping, is steam struggling on the pc, why arent they happy selling to windows pc customers?

PC hardware sales arent relevant, they dropping due to casual users not needing to have a pc to use twitter, email anymore. Gamers arent selling pc's just that a certian part of the market (non gamers) no longer need a pc, or their existing pc doesnt need upgrading as now days modern pcs are too powerful for basic tasks.

So I am confused as to why gabe/valve are putting all their effort into this and we know the what they want the end result to be, games native run on linux meaning those of us invested in windows pc's are screwed over when we were lotal customers to steam.

He trashing what was a unique good point of pc's very long BC, but now the underlying OS is been changed.

Windows 8 has a lot of policy changes that make it more difficult to make and distribute content on the platform. Valve isn't the only one that's expressed concern.
SteamBox isn't aimed at PC gamers. SteamOS is. SteamBox is aimed at console gamers afraid of the "confusing" desktop PCs.
The idea of SteamOS is to push openness and create a standard to work from. It's actually very similar to what nVidia is doing with Shield on Android, but a much bigger, much more independent movement.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#30AsellusPosted 10/17/2013 9:27:55 AM
windows 8 is not a walled garden, it still has desktop apps.

However the only way to release an "app" that runs using the Metro interface is through the Windows Store. What Valve (and many others) fear isn't Windows 8 per say, it's that this is the first step in something that will cumulate two or three versions of Windows from now.

But even if windows 8 is a sign they want to kill off the desktop and make a walled garden, its many years away, windows 8 has low takeup, and no windows uses need to upgrade to it as windows 7 is supported for many years yet.

Microsoft is hardly above attempting to force users to upgrade to get certain features. You want to be able to run dx 11.1? That requires Windows 8 for no particular reason other than MS can do that. 11.2? That needs Windows 8.1.