This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

gabe claims win8 kill pc gaming but valve is going to kill it

#31HydroCannabinolPosted 10/17/2013 9:33:53 AM
I can't wait for Steambox.

Along with what other uses have said, I will add that the SteamOS will use less overall resources on the backend which will supposedly make games run better. Along with this, games will be compatible with Linux which is awesome.

If you don't like it, continue playing games on Windows. The beauty of life is that you have a choice.
---
Steam ID: Mind_Explosion
I thought I chose very easy, not brand new to the game. - CheesyPhil
#32Bazooka_PenguinPosted 10/17/2013 9:45:24 AM(edited)
Asellus posted...
windows 8 is not a walled garden, it still has desktop apps.

However the only way to release an "app" that runs using the Metro interface is through the Windows Store. What Valve (and many others) fear isn't Windows 8 per say, it's that this is the first step in something that will cumulate two or three versions of Windows from now.

But even if windows 8 is a sign they want to kill off the desktop and make a walled garden, its many years away, windows 8 has low takeup, and no windows uses need to upgrade to it as windows 7 is supported for many years yet.

Microsoft is hardly above attempting to force users to upgrade to get certain features. You want to be able to run dx 11.1? That requires Windows 8 for no particular reason other than MS can do that. 11.2? That needs Windows 8.1.

WDDM and DXGL, which are inherently part of the Windows kernels. DXGL1.1 (Win7) can't support DX11.1 (at least not completely) or DX11.2.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#33sonicteam2k1Posted 10/17/2013 10:02:17 AM
BLASPHEMY! DO NOT SPEAK SUCH THINGS OF Lord Gaben!
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#34_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 10/17/2013 10:42:26 AM
steveboblarry posted...
THE END IS NIGH MY BROTHERS WE MUST ABANDON PC GAMING AND SWITCH TO CONSOLES!!!!!

People been saying this since I got into PC gaming in the 90's , and it was more true back then than it is now.
---
I5 760 | GTX 760 | FILCO Majestouch 2 tenkeyless | Zowie FK | Asus Xonar DGX | Sennheiser HD 518 | Samsung S24A350H
#35DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/17/2013 2:13:00 PM
Bazooka_Penguin posted...
Asellus posted...

However the only way to release an "app" that runs using the Metro interface is through the Windows Store. What Valve (and many others) fear isn't Windows 8 per say, it's that this is the first step in something that will cumulate two or three versions of Windows from now.

But even if windows 8 is a sign they want to kill off the desktop and make a walled garden, its many years away, windows 8 has low takeup, and no windows uses need to upgrade to it as windows 7 is supported for many years yet.

Microsoft is hardly above attempting to force users to upgrade to get certain features. You want to be able to run dx 11.1? That requires Windows 8 for no particular reason other than MS can do that. 11.2? That needs Windows 8.1.

WDDM and DXGL, which are inherently part of the Windows kernels. DXGL1.1 (Win7) can't support DX11.1 (at least not completely) or DX11.2.

-is what they said to encourage people to upgrade. There aren't any significant changes in DX11.1 that would require such a thing, though.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#36Treason686Posted 10/17/2013 7:24:14 PM
typical pc gamer use mouse, keyboard or gamepad depending on game.

Yes, thanks for pointing that out. PC gamers enjoy the luxury of not being confined to a single input device.

I have never heard of a pc gamer saying they want to play on the sofa in a big living room.

PC gamers also enjoy the luxury of not being confined to a desk. If it makes you feel better, I want to play games on the couch sometimes, and I am a PC gamer. I don't think you've been around these forums long.

It is Microsoft's goal. It's also Apple's goal. Mobile and desktop OS will be unified eventually, bringing both the good and the bad.

windows 8 doesnt even have 10% of the market. windows 7 is not end of life for nearly a decade.

So people are slowly adopting Windows 8? Seems like a good time to try your hand at the desktop OS market, doesn't it?

in short citing a walled windows 8 as a reason to make the steamos and steambox isnt valid, there is another reason I am sure of it.

Yet you can't articulate what that is...

PC hardware sales arent relevant, they dropping due to casual users not needing to have a pc to use twitter, email anymore. Gamers arent selling pc's just that a certian part of the market (non gamers) no longer need a pc, or their existing pc doesnt need upgrading as now days modern pcs are too powerful for basic tasks.

They absolutely are relevant. There just isn't much in the way of profit. Without Windows licensing costs, it'll be interesting to see how these PCs are priced. A console-like PC with an easy to use OS could definitely appeal to the console crowd. Whether consumers are turned off from traditional PCs or Windows 8 is a debatable topic. Working in retail, I've seen a large number of returns because of W8, and it's been much harder to sell a customer on the OS.

So I am confused as to why gabe/valve are putting all their effort into this and we know the what they want the end result to be, games native run on linux meaning those of us invested in windows pc's are screwed over when we were lotal customers to steam.

All their effort is a bit of a stretch. They're not building an OS from the ground up, after all. Steam Big Picture code already exists. Steam for Linux already exists. I think the biggest hurdle is just getting AMD, Nvidia, and devs to cooperate. Valve can simply creep into the market without much financial risk if they don't go crazy with advertising and producing units. Linux is one hundred percent free, by the way. There is no chance that you're going to be screwed out of your investment in Windows.

He trashing what was a unique good point of pc's very long BC, but now the underlying OS is been changed.
And? Try to get a Windows 3.1 game to run on Windows 7/8. You'll likely need an emulator. Even 95/98 games require some tweaking, patches, etc. Backwards compatibility is a myth. It's not like you're going to wake up a week after SteamOS is released and your games won't work. In fact, I'd go so far as saying the ONLY way SteamOS succeeds is if it's close to one hundred percent compatible with the Steam library.
---
PC: Core i7 920 || 6GB DDR3 || GTX 660 Ti || HP w2408h
#37Darkcloud20Posted 10/17/2013 8:18:35 PM
chrcol posted...

Windows ironically is far more open that ios and android have ever been. So microsoft havent done a very good job of it then.

How is android, a system that lets you install every app from wherever you want to get it as long as it is, you know programmed for android less free than windows?
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#38gamerdude555Posted 10/18/2013 4:20:25 AM
I prefer to use the controller on my PC due to backache and I will keep using Windows 7.
---
gamers paradise
#39Darkcloud20Posted 10/18/2013 4:31:09 AM
Asellus posted...

You want the metro interface? That requires Windows 8 for no particular reason other than MS can do that. You want the newer versions of paint and other integrated tools in windows? That requires Windows 7.
---
What can change the nature of a man?
#40Maiken100Posted 10/18/2013 5:07:36 AM
Anything that gives people more options is good. Linux will hopefully become more viable so people aren't constrained to Windows and mac. Only short sighted people think this is terrible.
---
Next Gen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJt3TOFUxPs