This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

gabe claims win8 kill pc gaming but valve is going to kill it

#41clowningPosted 10/18/2013 6:16:08 AM
KaiRyusaki posted...
Gabe: Windows 8 is bad cause it has a store built in!
I'm gonna go make my own OS that has MY store built in

Valvedrones: GENIUS! WE LOVE YOU GABEN-KUN KAWAII UGUU~~

This. Steambox and SteamOS is 100% about controlling game distribution. Valve makes its money by selling games through Steam. They want as much control over the process as possible, and they want everyone buying games only from them.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#42Masterchief5525Posted 10/18/2013 6:27:53 AM
KaiRyusaki posted...

Sounds about right
#43xanthan1Posted 10/18/2013 8:24:49 AM(edited)
clowning posted...
KaiRyusaki posted...

This. Steambox and SteamOS is 100% about controlling game distribution. Valve makes its money by selling games through Steam. They want as much control over the process as possible, and they want everyone buying games only from them.

Except there is nothing stopping you from buying the game on Amazon or Greenman Gaming or Gamersgate or any other online store that has Steam games. Come back when they stop letting you buy them from anywhere but Steam and you have a point instead of just being a fool with no idea what he's talking about.
#44DarkZV2BetaPosted 10/18/2013 9:02:21 AM
xanthan1 posted...
clowning posted...
KaiRyusaki posted...

Except there is nothing stopping you from buying the game on Amazon or Greenman Gaming or Gamersgate or any other online store that has Steam games. Come back when they stop letting you buy them from anywhere but Steam and you have a point instead of just being a fool with no idea what he's talking about.

There's also the little problem with SteamOS being open, so anyone can put their distribution platform on it.
TBH, it wouldn't surprise me if Desura already worked on it.
---
Want that Shield!
Ball and Cup on ps mobile has framerate issues. -stargazer64
#45clowningPosted 10/18/2013 11:47:39 AM
xanthan1 posted...
clowning posted...
KaiRyusaki posted...

Ahh, this one does not look into the future. Let me educate you. Let's say a game requires Steam to play. You can buy the game elsewhere, but what you are buying is a Steam key. So what happens when Steam charges other sites for the ability to sell their keys? Hmm?

Fanboys...so blind. Wake up, dude.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
#46xanthan1Posted 10/18/2013 11:51:23 AM
clowning posted...
xanthan1 posted...
clowning posted...
KaiRyusaki posted...

Ahh, this one does not look into the future. Let me educate you. Let's say a game requires Steam to play. You can buy the game elsewhere, but what you are buying is a Steam key. So what happens when Steam charges other sites for the ability to sell their keys? Hmm?

Fanboys...so blind. Wake up, dude.

Insane conspiracy theorist, so insane. Get a reality check you child.