This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I finally transitioned to the dark side. (Apple)

#31hotgirlsarehotPosted 10/13/2013 2:46:42 AM
fallenswords posted...
why spend the premium for apple when its the same as windows laptop that you wipe and install ubuntu...

Cause why use ubuntu, when you can use the greatest OS right now (Mac OS X.5)
#32TimePharaohPosted 10/13/2013 3:00:05 AM
LordSeifer posted...
thanks for letting me know

---
"HE are genius, firstly." - ASlaveObeys
http://i.imgur.com/SQAc17B.png
#33GabrezuPosted 10/13/2013 9:58:37 AM
gamerdude555 posted...
One word Hackintosh

oh and I like labtops

I dont think he bought it for the OS.
#34lionheart5656Posted 10/13/2013 11:15:40 AM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
LordSeifer posted...
thanks for letting me know

You're welcome. It obviously affected you enough to reply.

*brofist*

I see. We didn't realize that you were so lonely that any miniscule effect you have on the world helps you justify your existence.

We're glad you didn't commit suicide today. We hope your next day is even better.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#35GarhinderPosted 10/13/2013 11:28:44 AM
TheWayOfTheGun posted...
And I must say, It's very enjoyable. A coworker of mine uses a Macbook Pro as his dev machine, and I have always been interested in it so I took a chance and put in an order for one a couple weeks ago and yesterday I finally got it. (The time I used a Mac was over a decade ago, on my Aunt's machine)

It's the same model and hardware config as this guy -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834100276

Just to be clear, I would never spend this much on a laptop but at the same time, I can see how many people actually do. The screen is incredible and running Windows 7 via VM is actually faster than running it natively on my previous Dell machine. It's so enjoyable I am still messing with it in my free time.

Learning the Mac OS is going to be a challenge but in the end it will be worth it since it appears to more developer friendly due to it's Linux/Unix-esque package manager interface, especially after I configure Homebrew.

On top of that, I am currently working as .Net dev so using a Mac is almost ironic.

Am I a hipster? Have any of you dived into Mac headfirst?

How has the .NET development worked for you? I'm planning on getting a Macbook Pro eventually, and while I will mostly develop open source stuff that is easy to integrate into OS X, I also like ASP.NET quite a lot.

And honestly, I find Apple to be the lesser of the two evils. The only thing I like about Microsoft nowadays is the development tools they have.
#36CC RicersPosted 10/17/2013 6:00:59 PM
Lately I've been wanting to get a Mac Pro for myself, mostly for programming and production use. And keep a small gaming PC in the living room. Not soon, but whenever I can afford it. They're one of the few pre-built computers I'd be willing to buy.
---
WikiLeaks scandal: WikiLeaks is not a true Wiki!
#3701Philip01Posted 10/17/2013 6:34:10 PM
Gabrezu posted...
Why didn't you wait for the Haswell refresh?

When's that coming out?
---
NNID: PhilipPwns ( Add me thru miiverse )
3DS Friend Code: 0387 9129 6502
#38self-immolationPosted 10/17/2013 7:05:45 PM
Dragnfyr posted...
Why did you get a retina Macbook Pro when they are releasing new ones later this month?

this

you didn't even get a discount.

that cpu/gpu combo is closing in on two years
---
SMELL THE GASOLINE
I LIGHT THE FIRE INSIDE
#39strongo9Posted 10/17/2013 7:14:23 PM
Now imagine if you had actually spent that much money on a Windows laptop or desktop. Comparing that Macbook to sold crappy old Dell you had is pretty biased.
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m