The message you selected is no longer available for viewing.

This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

RE6 worth it?

#1kingoffpsPosted 10/12/2013 11:52:54 AM
4.99 on Steam at the moment. I know it's not a horror series anymore, but I enjoyed RE5 a decent amount. A fun shooter.

Does RE6 play like 5?

The reviews are very mixed.
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#2iCuriousPosted 10/12/2013 11:55:54 AM
Particularly curious about it for someone who's never played a RE game at all and doesn't care about shortcomings from past games >_>.
---
? ? ?
#3DragonRaizenPosted 10/12/2013 12:04:15 PM
iCurious posted...
Particularly curious about it for someone who's never played a RE game at all and doesn't care about shortcomings from past games >_>.

No.
Too much an action game, and a bad one at that.
Then again, I only managed to stomach two or three chapters of Chris' campaign before I gave up, and people say that's the worst one. Too iffy mechanics for a third person shooter(because this time the zombies are shooting back), and the weirdest complaint I've ever said, but Chris' body is TOO BIG. Like, it's tough to aim because his back covers too much of the screen.
Heard Jake's campaign is not much better, with Leon's being the only one remotely decent and loyal to the RE feeling.

That being said, Revelations is a much better alternative, if you're looking for the RE experience. If you're not... well, there's better shooters out there.
---
-FREEZE!
-I'm a robot, not your refrigerator.
Marvin
#4dekouPosted 10/12/2013 12:06:40 PM(edited)
As someone who has only played 4, 5, 6 and Revelations, I think RE6 is awful and much worse than 5. If you've never played a RE game, just buy RE5. If you have played RE5, buy Revelations.

RE6's problem is that it's even more of an action game than 5, but its action is weaker than 5's. Enemies don't react to you in the same way, have a ton of HP and often spawn endlessly, so the action scenes become annoying fast and there's not much to the game outside of them. It's also a really bad port, has way too many QTEs and is ugly. RE5 had the sunny African style that worked in a way, but RE6 seems to have no style at all. I suppose they spent all their time making Leon's hair and the female characters' backsides.

If you want some pseudo-horror co-op action, look into Dead Space 3. It's not a great game, but it's fun in co-op and has better action scenes than RE6.
#5TropicMoon10Posted 10/12/2013 12:12:42 PM
dekou posted...
As someone who has only played 4, 5, 6 and Revelations, I think RE6 is awful and much worse than 5. If you've never played a RE game, just buy RE5. If you have played RE5, buy Revelations.

I've never played any of the Resident Evils but I also heard that RE5 is the better game.

Although I kind of want RE6 just for the L4D crossover... It doesn't sound like it's worth it just for the Left 4 Dead fanservice. <_<
---
-TropicMoon - as humid as a summer's day on triton
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#6AsucaHayashiPosted 10/12/2013 12:14:37 PM
hey... remember when resident evil had those awesome jet fighter sections?

yeah, me f****** neither:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpiGiHQ_9zY
---
PC hardware doesn't need to match console hardware in price when PC gamers save literal thousands from the software they buy. http://www.steamgamesales.com/
#7clschneider1990Posted 10/12/2013 12:16:24 PM
DragonRaizen posted...
iCurious posted...

No.
Too much an action game, and a bad one at that.
Then again, I only managed to stomach two or three chapters of Chris' campaign before I gave up, and people say that's the worst one. Too iffy mechanics for a third person shooter(because this time the zombies are shooting back), and the weirdest complaint I've ever said, but Chris' body is TOO BIG. Like, it's tough to aim because his back covers too much of the screen.
Heard Jake's campaign is not much better, with Leon's being the only one remotely decent and loyal to the RE feeling.

That being said, Revelations is a much better alternative, if you're looking for the RE experience. If you're not... well, there's better shooters out there.

Leons campaign is freaking awesome and I loved the other chapters as well and I have been playing RE since the first one. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves the series or third person shooters in general
---
GT:EchoesOfMercy
#8Tyranius2Posted 10/12/2013 12:16:48 PM
iCurious posted...

You'll find more shortcomings in this one than any other Resident Evil game.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Tyranius&show=0&order=4
Recently retired from Anime =[
#9kingoffps(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 12:23:40 PM
Hmm well I'm glad I made this topic so that it helped the other dude out too.

I probably won't buy the game then, even this cheap. Sounds like that it doesn't do any one thing particularly well, based on popular opinion.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
---
i7 920 @ 3.6GHz, 3.8GHz (single-thread mode), MSI X58 Platinum, 6GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950 (1100/1450), 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
#10TheWayOfTheGunPosted 10/12/2013 12:39:36 PM
kingoffps posted...
Hmm well I'm glad I made this topic so that it helped the other dude out too.

I probably won't buy the game then, even this cheap. Sounds like that it doesn't do any one thing particularly well, based on popular opinion.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It's definitely worth $10. PC gamers in generally are cheapskate elitists that will talk you out of most purchases that aren't PC exclusive.

The game is fun, plain and simple. It's not as good as RE 4 and 5 but it's definitely worth more than $10.

If you hate games like Gears of War and Uncharted than I can understand passing on it. But if you enjoy action/horror 3rd person shooters, you cannot turn your back on this game.

You obviously aren't a Resident Evil fan so you won't have an initial bias which makes buying the game even more sense.
---
Glorious God Gamers > PC Master Race > Console Peasants ---> http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/508/644/9eb.jpg