This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Suggestions on a home media solution

#1NyctalopiacPosted 10/12/2013 11:05:30 AM
Hey guys, I've got this idea of what I want to do but I don't really know what hardware/software will do this for me. Here's the deal, I want to be able to play and navigate video files using some kind of remote. I've got an iphone and I tried the remote app but a lot of my video files are avi so itunes can't play them.

I was considering getting an app for complete remote access but it just seems like that would be really user unfriendly for what I need it for and I figure there must be a simpler way. Bare minimum I need to be able to pause/resume, skip to the next file in the playlist and adjust volume. Ideally I'd like to be able to browse through a list with the remote (ala netflix on the xbox).

Any ideas? If there's a way I can just use my laptop and iphone as the remote that'd be ideal but if I need additional hardware I'll get whatever can create what I'm looking for.
#2UberLurkerPosted 10/12/2013 11:14:30 AM
Get XBMC and the XBMC Remote app for your phone... it will meet your aforementioned requirements nicely.

Alternately Unified Remote will let you do all the things you mentioned, just without the nifty interface that XBMC provides.
#3Nyctalopiac(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 11:23:23 AM
UberLurker posted...
Get XBMC and the XBMC Remote app for your phone... it will meet your aforementioned requirements nicely.

Alternately Unified Remote will let you do all the things you mentioned, just without the nifty interface that XBMC provides.

Looks perfect, thank you. I'll download it right now and give it a shot.
#4ChetyrePosted 10/12/2013 11:30:41 AM
My setup is xbmc + logitech harmony remote + flirc(when i can get my hands on one).

This way you can control everything with an actual, physical controller. You can program the remote to control the tv, your sound system and the pc at the same time with a single controller
---
"Beyond The Beaten Path Lies The Absolute End. It Matters Not Who You Are, Death Awaits You." Nyx Avatar
#5Nyctalopiac(Topic Creator)Posted 10/15/2013 5:54:30 AM
xbmc works great, thanks. Only thing that bugs me is when you play a tv show it just plays one episode and then stops (and there doesn't seem to be an autoplay option). Still better than anything else I've tried. Thanks for the suggestion!