This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want better cooling.

#1GhettoLogisticsPosted 10/12/2013 6:22:54 PM(edited)
I've got an i5-2500k at stock speeds being cooled by a Coolermaster Seidon 120. My CPU temps are mostly fine, though I did expect a cooler idle temp out of water cooling. My max load temp is 56C though, so that's fine.

I've also got an ASUS 7970 DCUII, and that's what is getting hotter than I expected. Under a gaming load it will hit 82-84C, which I know is normal for most cards but this is supposed to be a very good cooler. For comparison, my Gigabyte Windforce 7970 stayed under 80C at all times, even during Furmark. Hovered around 74.

My case temps range from from sub-30C at idle all the way up into the 50-60C range when loaded. I have high quality Corsair fans, the AF and SP series. One SP-120 is doing a push-pull with the stock Seidon fan, one AF-120 is up front, and another AF-120 is rigged to fit into the drive cage, blowing cool air directly over top of the video card and chipset, towards the exhaust fans. My case (Zalman Z1) has two tiny insignificant fans in its side panels that don't move much air, but they're running too.

Any suggestions? I have extra fans, too. I have another SP-120 and two more AF-120s.
#2DiehardFFv2Posted 10/12/2013 6:24:41 PM
Get a walk in cooler and use a dehumidifier.
---
Sager np9370 | Intel i7 3630qm | GTX 670m SLI | 12GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | 128GB SSD | 500GB HDD x2
#3Black_King945Posted 10/12/2013 6:27:31 PM
Are you able to compare the fan speeds between the two cards? 84 is still pretty acceptable for a video card, so maybe the Asus card isn't ramping up the fan RPM?

Are they audible outside the case?
---
i7 3770K | Asus Maximus V Gene | 16GB Gskill | Asus 660ti | Seasonic 500W
#4SpacewhizguyPosted 10/12/2013 6:40:30 PM
GhettoLogistics posted...
My CPU temps are mostly fine, though I did expect a cooler idle temp out of water cooling.

Air coolers have better idle temps than water coolers.

Besides, those closed loop coolers like the one you have are bad and are outperformed by air coolers even at load. I wouldn't even call what you have "water cooling".
---
What's a sig?
#5GhettoLogistics(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 7:37:49 PM(edited)
I don't really care what you think about my "water cooling", as it has nothing to do with the question I asked. It keeps my temps very manageable. I also got it for free, so your opinion is extra worthless. Good to know there's something better out there though, I had no idea such a thing as superior products could exist.

On the Gigabyte, I was able to keep fan speed at 60% while gaming. I can't see the fan curve of the ASUS because GPU Tweak doesn't show it, but it gets significantly louder when that fan kicks on. I'd wager it kicks up to about 80%. I say that because it gets quite hot at 60%.

The Gigabyte was barely audible at 60%, which is why I kept it there. The ASUS is much, much louder when I set it to 60%.
#6SpacewhizguyPosted 10/12/2013 7:41:59 PM
I don't really care what you think about my "water cooling", as it has nothing to do with the question I asked. It keeps my temps very manageable. I also got it for free, so your opinion is extra worthless. Good to know there's something better out there though, I had no idea such a thing as superior products could exist.

You certainly do care if you're so defensive over my little post.

And the only reason I'm being so smart about it is because of your false expectations about how good your cooler should be just because it's a "water cooler" - even though the fact that it uses water doesn't mean much - so I need to shoot you back down to earth. Having a closed loop cooler does not mean that it's magically better than air coolers or comparable to real water cooling rigs.
---
What's a sig?
#7MasterDonGeroPosted 10/12/2013 7:58:14 PM
Throw your GPU in a water cooling loop.
---
3570K (4.8 GHz) | Dual-X 7970 | ASRock Z77 OC Formula | Corsair Vengeance 2x 4 GB | WD Black 1 TB | Corsair TX750 | XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 Kit | NZXT Phantom
#8GhettoLogistics(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 9:09:44 PM
Spacewhizguy posted...

You certainly do care if you're so defensive over my little post.

And the only reason I'm being so smart about it is because of your false expectations about how good your cooler should be just because it's a "water cooler" - even though the fact that it uses water doesn't mean much - so I need to shoot you back down to earth. Having a closed loop cooler does not mean that it's magically better than air coolers or comparable to real water cooling rigs.

Then you could've posted mostly the same thing, about air cooling having lower idle temps, and called it a day. I honestly didn't know that, so it was an appropriate bit of information. You added nothing in the way of helpful information by proclaiming that my water cooler is bad (which is funny when it produces temps that are just fine, and certainly a ton better than air cooled stock). That's what I cared about. Your opinion is still worth nothing in my topic about GPU temps, regardless of whether or not I responded to it.