This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Installing new MOBO have a question.

#1HarryMaySinPosted 10/12/2013 5:40:24 PM
Hello all.

I am looking to buy a new motherboard/cpu/fan tomorrow from microcenter and I know how to install everything, but I do not have a windows disc.

It's been a long time since I've replaced a motherboard, and IIRC the last time I replaced a motherboard, windows wouldnt load properly. (something about it not being licensed to the new motherboard)

I sent the manufacturer of my pre-built an e-mail asking them to send me a CD, but haven't heard back from them yet.

I am using windows 8.

Has anyone here (who is using windows 8) replaced their motherboard? How did it work out for you?

Thanks guys.
#2josh_bPosted 10/12/2013 5:47:53 PM
when you purchase a key or a prebuilt computer with windows already on it that copy of windows is only for that system that it was originally installed on.
When you start changing major parts then the problems start since that computer is no longer as it originally was and considered a new system. you must purchase a new copy of windows.
---
i5 2500k 4.5GHZ OC, 32GB DDR3, Galaxy GTX670 4GB SLI, MSI P67A-GD55 Mobo, 128GB SSD, Barracuda Green 1.5TB HDD
Xbox live: tanis8585
#3HarryMaySin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 5:50:18 PM
josh_b posted...
when you purchase a key or a prebuilt computer with windows already on it that copy of windows is only for that system that it was originally installed on.
When you start changing major parts then the problems start since that computer is no longer as it originally was and considered a new system. you must purchase a new copy of windows.

well, every other time I bought a pc it came with windows (and a backup disc)

and i changed out the motherboards just fine (required me install windows again)

it didnt screw anything up.
#4HarryMaySin(Topic Creator)Posted 10/12/2013 5:56:53 PM
nevermind, i forgot about frostwire and isos and things of that nature.

god its really been a long time for me hahaha