This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

video card ocing through bios or software?

#1KillerzOverHerePosted 10/13/2013 7:56:52 AM
I read that if you do it through software, then you have to run the software every time you start up your pc to get your OC, meanwhile the if you do it through the bios, it starts up with the OC. My question is how do you get to the vbios and what's the point of a modded one if you can do it through the stock video card bios?
#2Killah PriestPosted 10/13/2013 8:02:32 AM(edited)
use GPU-Z to extract and update your bios.

the point of the modded one is you can adjust certain things like you said, clock speeds and fan profiles so you don't have to use software like afterburner.

personally I wouldn't do it tho, afterburner works excellent and has a small footprint.

Occasionally you can flash a lower model card with a higher model cards bios and essentially have the higher model card.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#3KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 8:19:29 AM
Killah Priest posted...
use GPU-Z to extract and update your bios.

the point of the modded one is you can adjust certain things like you said, clock speeds and fan profiles so you don't have to use software like afterburner.

personally I wouldn't do it tho, afterburner works excellent and has a small footprint.

Occasionally you can flash a lower model card with a higher model cards bios and essentially have the higher model card.

do you have to run afterburner each time to get your OC? cause I prefer conveniece and I would rather get a custom vbios, i'm planning on going evga, do they cover the card if i get a custom bios? If they do, I'll go for that, if not, I'll go for afterburner.
#4wildog2006Posted 10/13/2013 8:33:03 AM
the software launches automatically when you start windows. you're thinking way too in depth for this. you'd rather risk bricking your GPU than checking a box to launch the program with windows?
---
Insert generic offensive/slightly racist/holier than thou/fanboy/douchebag/elitist comment here.
#5Killah PriestPosted 10/13/2013 8:43:43 AM
You can set afterburner to load when you start windows, then set it to apply the overclocking settings when you run a 3d application, or just when windows starts period if you for some random reason want it always running at high clock speeds. Cards now have power saving features where they lower the clock speeds when you're on the desktop and raise them when running games and such.

Cards are different, some cards come stock overclocked, other cards allow you to overclock right on the card itself.

Its not really inconvenient to have afterburner load automatically with windows, like I said it has a small footprint and won't bog down your startup time.

To be honest I think using a custom bios is something that is for users more advanced than you, no offense. You really aren't gaining much by doing this unless you know what you're doing and even then its not that much better.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#6KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 9:33:23 AM
Killah Priest posted...
You can set afterburner to load when you start windows, then set it to apply the overclocking settings when you run a 3d application, or just when windows starts period if you for some random reason want it always running at high clock speeds. Cards now have power saving features where they lower the clock speeds when you're on the desktop and raise them when running games and such.

Cards are different, some cards come stock overclocked, other cards allow you to overclock right on the card itself.

Its not really inconvenient to have afterburner load automatically with windows, like I said it has a small footprint and won't bog down your startup time.

To be honest I think using a custom bios is something that is for users more advanced than you, no offense. You really aren't gaining much by doing this unless you know what you're doing and even then its not that much better.

lol, none taken. I was just a bit curious that's all. As long as it isn't a resource hog, I guess it's not a big deal.
#7PhilOnDezPosted 10/13/2013 9:39:58 AM
Custom BIOs are pretty much the only thing EVGA's warranty doesn't cover, though that may have changed, at least with their newer cards that ship with multiple BIOS and a button to swap between them easily.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#8KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 9:43:27 AM
PhilOnDez posted...
Custom BIOs are pretty much the only thing EVGA's warranty doesn't cover, though that may have changed, at least with their newer cards that ship with multiple BIOS and a button to swap between them easily.

multiple BIOS? explain?

they support OC'd cards I know
#9KillerzOverHere(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2013 9:44:38 AM
Killah Priest posted...

so i don't need gpu-z then right? Just afterburner?
#10PhilOnDezPosted 10/13/2013 9:56:57 AM
KillerzOverHere posted...
multiple BIOS? explain?

they support OC'd cards I know

Depending on the card, they ship with 1-3 bios slots. The ones with 2-3 have a button you press to swap slots. They ship with bios for stock clocks plus whatever custom overclock your card was rated for (Superclocked, FTW, Classified etc). I haven't looked into it much because my card doesn't have that feature and I'm not picking one up for a while so I'm not sure what the third option would be on cards that have it.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez