This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

One Year Later: Origin

#1Sage_Of_IcePosted 10/13/2013 7:01:35 AM
It's been exactly one year since Origin gave away most games under $19.99. Are you still playing the free games you received? How many were you able to get? If you stopped playing the games, when did you stop? What games did you enjoy the most?

For me, I was only able to grab Spore. Spore was a game I'd been interested in for years, but never got around to buying. It took a lot of perseverance to get Origin to process the transaction, but I got it. I was very excited to finally try the game, so I installed it immediately. I quickly took a liking to the game, so I played it for well over a week straight. Shortly after that, I bought Galactic Adventures.. I was annoyed by the fact that the expansion was actually on sale on Steam, but I had the Origin version, so I had to pay $29.99 rather than Steam's $19.99.

All in all, I found the game to be incredibly fun, so I haven't quite put it down for good yet. Occasionally, I still come back to make new civilizations.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about: EA had been offering a $19.99 Origin code for completing one of their surveys. To their dismay(or maybe their liking?), the code was universal and reusable. On the morning of October 13th, 2012, many PC gamers quickly found out about this exploit. For what was probably several hours, the code ran, and many thousands of games were taken. Some got away with many tens of games, others received but one. EA, realizing that they could use this to their advantage, decided to honor the code, leaving abusers to enjoy the games they found.
---
I've been in Troll form for so long...
#2Nineteen99Posted 10/13/2013 8:49:49 AM
I missed the event.
---
"Words cannot describe how screwed I am..."-Phoenix Wright
Currently Playing: Saints Row The Third
#3steveboblarryPosted 10/13/2013 8:53:31 AM
EA wants as many people as possible to download Origin on there computers
---
#4Nineteen99Posted 10/13/2013 8:57:06 AM
steveboblarry posted...

You sound like a pundit on Fox. "I'm just going to rattle off buzzwords and talking points but not address what the topic is actually about, because reasons!"
---
"Words cannot describe how screwed I am..."-Phoenix Wright
Currently Playing: Saints Row The Third
#5steveboblarryPosted 10/13/2013 9:00:40 AM(edited)
Nineteen99 posted...
steveboblarry posted...

You sound like a pundit on Fox. "I'm just going to rattle off buzzwords and talking points but not address what the topic is actually about, because reasons!"

Iam a turtle

FYI: I have Origin on my comp its not as bad as before but it still has a long way to go to be a great DRM service like Steam is.
---
#6BogePosted 10/13/2013 9:09:54 AM
I'm still not using Origin. I refuse. They didn't need to go make their own gaming client. I won't support them because if I do, other publishers will do the same. I'm not having 25 different gaming clients on my system.
---
Don't lie to someone who trusts you.
Don't trust someone who lies to you.
#7steveboblarryPosted 10/13/2013 9:12:27 AM
^true its an unfortunate side effect of steam. Other companies want to cash in
---
#8cynicwithin2000Posted 10/13/2013 9:53:15 AM
I've never had a problem with origin and have been using if for years, same with amazon digital download. Competition is a good thing for consumers. Steam would be garbage right now if they were the only digital distribution service around simply because they wouldn't have to offer anything special or do anything to compete. It always amazes me how so many people fail to understand that.
---
i7-4770k @4.4Ghz | AsRock z87 OC Formula | Corsair 16GB@1600 | H100i | AX1200i | 500GB 840evo ssd | 5TB 7200rpm | EVGA GTX 780 Classified SLI | ASUS 2560x1440 |
#9lionheart5656Posted 10/13/2013 10:13:54 AM
cynicwithin2000 posted...
I've never had a problem with origin and have been using if for years, same with amazon digital download. Competition is a good thing for consumers. Steam would be garbage right now if they were the only digital distribution service around simply because they wouldn't have to offer anything special or do anything to compete. It always amazes me how so many people fail to understand that.

Origin isn't competition.

Origin is EA offering almost only their games so that they can get the most profit out of them at the expense of the consumer.

Origin is actually anti-competition because it raises the prices of their own games which are higher than they would be if they were on Steam where their games would have competition.

GOG is competition. Desura is competition.

Origin is just a cash in.
---
http://tinyurl.com/3ljyptn
Shooting blanks, every time, all the time.
#10KaiRyusakiPosted 10/13/2013 10:15:56 AM
lionheart5656 posted...

Origin isn't competition.

Origin is EA offering almost only their games so that they can get the most profit out of them at the expense of the consumer.

Origin is actually anti-competition because it raises the prices of their own games which are higher than they would be if they were on Steam where their games would have competition.

GOG is competition. Desura is competition.

Origin is just a cash in.

Anything in bold is true.
The rest are lies by a hardcore valvedrone.